BS Yediyurappa Breaks Down, Resigns As Karnataka Chief Minister

Kool_SRG

• Kool_SRG changed the title to BS Yediyurappa Breaks Down, Resigns As Karnataka Chief Minister

BS Yediyurappa Breaks Down, Resigns As Karnataka Chief Minister

Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa declared in a tearful speech in which he talked about being tested constantly in the two years of his fourth term - possibly his last, given the BJP's age limit of 75 years for posts.

Bengaluru: 

Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa broke down at a two-year celebration of his government today and announced his resignation, ending weeks of speculation raised by unrelenting calls for his removal by a section of the BJP in the state.

"I have decided to resign. I will meet the Governor after lunch," Mr Yediyurappa, 78, declared in a tearful speech at the Vidhan Sabha premises, talking about being tested constantly in the two years of his fourth term - possibly his last, given the BJP's age limit of 75 years for posts. Soon after, he walked to the building next door to hand in his resignation.

He will remain caretaker Chief Minister as his party decides on a replacement; sources say a decision could take two or three days.

"I thank PM (Narendra) Modi, Amit Shah and JP Nadda. They gave me the chance to rule as Chief Minister despite being over 75. I had decided to resign some time back. I thought it best to resign today as we mark completion of two years in this term," he told reporters.

"Nobody pressured me to resign. I did it on my own so that someone else can take over as Chief Minister after the completion of two years of government. I''ll work to bring BJP back in power in the next election. I've not given name of anyone who will succeed me," Mr Yediyurappa added.

Earlier, in his speech, he said: "When (Atal Bihari Vajpayee) was Prime Minister he asked me to be a minister at the Centre. But I said I will be in Karnataka."

The BJP had grown in Karnataka, he said, adding: "It has always been an agnipariksha (trial by fire) for me. These last two years it was Covid."

He also tweeted a tribute to his party's icons and top leaders.

The resignation was widely anticipated but Mr Yediyurappa kept everyone guessing till yesterday. Even a minister claimed surprise. "It was a surprise for me. He told me that he may receive a favorable decision from the high command by July 26. But we all have to abide by the norms of the party," said K Sudhakar.

Last week, there were many appeals to the BJP in his favour - party loyalists, priests and influential members of his Lingayat community, including an opposition Congress leader.

On Sunday evening, he told reporters that he had heard "nothing till now" from the BJP.

"Nothing has come till now... In the morning there is a programme to mark two years of government. I will speak about the achievements in those two years. After that, you will know the progress," he told reporters.

"I have decided that I will work till the very last minute. I already said two months ago that I was ready to resign whenever I was asked to. I will say it again - until now I have got no message from the centre. As soon as it comes, if they ask me to continue I will. If not, I will resign and work for that party," he said.

The buzz about his exit, an undercurrent in Karnataka for months now amid resentment against Mr Yediyurappa and his son, became louder when he suddenly flew to Delhi by chartered flight earlier this month to meet with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and other BJP leaders.

After his meeting with PM Modi, Mr Yediyurappa said there had been no discussion about his resignation. Days later, he said he was ready to resign whenever he was asked to.

Mr Yediyurappa, the BJP's first Chief Minister in the south, took power in 2019 after a dramatic coup that saw the Janata Dal Secular-Congress government crashing after the abrupt resignation of 17 rebels. Most of the rebels later joined the BJP and contested elections. Many of them were accommodated in Mr Yediyurappa's cabinet.

But Mr Yediyurappa never could keep everyone happy. Disgruntled BJP leaders like MLA Basanagouda Patil Yatnal, Tourism Minister CP Yogeshwar and legislative council member AH Vishwanath repeatedly attacked him over corruption allegations and accused him of letting his son Vijayendra interfere in the government.

The BJP put off a tough call in Karnataka for months; Mr Yediyurappa, a charismatic and powerful politician, was key to the party's rise in Karnataka, its gateway to the south, and his brief exit from the BJP in the past saw the party losing elections.

'Karnataka BJP will be washed away in tears': Seer on Yediyurappa's resignation

Yediyurappa announced his resignation on Monday at an event to celebrate to years of his government. He later met Governor Thawar Chand Gehlot, who accepted his resignation.
Karnataka CM BS Yediyurappa during a program commemorating two years of the BJP government in Karnataka, on Monday.(ANI Photo)

One of the religious leaders who met BS Yediyurappa last week, has said that the Karnataka unit of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) will be washed away in tears due to his resignation. Dingaleshwara Swami of Balehosur Mutt asked the party to reconsider its decision.

Also Read: Old age or corruption? Siddaramaiah wants to know why Yediyurappa quit

"BS Yediyurappa has given his resignation in pain. Karnataka BJP will be washed away in tears. BJP should reconsider its decision," Dingaleshwara Swami was quoted as saying by news agency ANI.

Yediyurappa announced his resignation on Monday at an event to celebrate to years of his government. He later met Governor Thawar Chand Gehlot, who accepted his resignation.

The 78-year-old thanked Prime Minister Narendra Modi and the BJP's central leadership, and denied he was under any kind of pressure.

"I had no pressure from senior party leaders. I am voluntarily submitting my resignation," Yediyurappa said in an emotional address broadcast live on local television channels.

As the speculation around his exit gained traction, the heads of various mutts in Bengaluru met Yediyurappa last Tuesday. The religious leaders of the Veerashaiva-Lingayat community, which comprises 16 per cent of the Karnataka's population and the largest vote base for the BJP, promised their support to Yediyurappa following the meeting.

The leaders warned the BJP against any move to dislodge Yediyurappa, saying it will have "huge consequences" for the party.

The Lingayat community is back in the focus with speculations of replacing Yediyurappa. The chief minister has been the face of the Lingayat community in the party and has enjoyed large electoral support from its members.

Yediyurappa, a four-time chief minister of Karnataka, had helped the BJP form its first government in the southern state in 2008.

2 minutes ago, Kool_SRG said:

'Karnataka BJP will be washed away in tears': Seer on Yediyurappa's resignation

"BS Yediyurappa has given his resignation in pain. Karnataka BJP will be washed away in tears. BJP should reconsider its decision," Dingaleshwara Swami was quoted as saying by news agency ANI.

dingaleshwara ? adhem peru

On 7/21/2021 at 1:43 PM, Ryzen_renoir said:

Last time yedyurappa was removed from the post bjp lost all of that lingayat vote bank. 

Karnataka congress is not weak like hindi congress , rod diguthundhi bjp ki. 

Respectful ga term finish chesi send off ichi undali 

Ippudu elections pettina clean sweep chesi padesthadi congress

On 7/21/2021 at 2:43 PM, Ryzen_renoir said:

Last time yedyurappa was removed from the post bjp lost all of that lingayat vote bank. 

Karnataka congress is not weak like hindi congress , rod diguthundhi bjp ki. 

Respectful ga term finish chesi send off ichi undali 

so karantaka BJP ki lingayat. RSS ki brahmin. Hindi belt BJP - brahmin/bania/khatri/kshatrirya (eppudo place holder laaga one BC CM like Kalyan singh). Then how can you believe this castiest party will be disgusted with reddy/kamma in andhra and "save" you guys with nellore UT etc. ? BJP had links with TDP in 80s, whole of 90s, 70% of 2000-10 and most of 2010-20.  In every point it was TDP which cut off BJP not BJP which cut off TDP.

But you guys still fantasize you can convince BJP to get disgusted of kams and give you all the money and cadrer you need to become CM. Use some brains @NiranjanGaaru

2 minutes ago, Telugodura456 said:

so karantaka BJP ki lingayat. RSS ki brahmin. Hindi belt BJP - brahmin/bania/khatri/kshatrirya (eppudo place holder laaga one BC CM like Kalyan singh). Then how can you believe this castiest party will be disgusted with reddy/kamma in andhra and "save" you guys with nellore UT etc. ? BJP had links with TDP in 80s, whole of 90s, 70% of 2000-10 and most of 2010-20.  In every point it was TDP which cut off BJP not BJP which cut off TDP.

But you guys still fantasize you can convince BJP to get disgusted of kams and give you all the money and cadrer you need to become CM. Use some brains @NiranjanGaaru

Lol

Pm is obc

Prez is dalit

HM is jain minority 

Assam used to have tribal chief minister

13% of modi cabinet is dalits, congress it used to 4%

Ila thousands of examples cheptha niku..... Where is brahmin cm In BJP except himanta biswas where is rajput CM in BJP except yogi, khatris, banias CMs evaru unaru except vijay rupani

So 4,5 /17 state CM BJP is ruling upper caste, migarha 12 CM obc, st, sc

Tdp and ycp cannot be compared with BJP, they are casteist parties to the core.... Kulaggajji people....... All top 4 , 5,A2,bojjala ,peddireddy ,yv subbi, ila all top positions in jaggad govt occupied by teddies....., pulkas time lo nri pacha mafia chesina extralu suveraa chow ni adigithe chepatadu...... 

So dont compare BJP with pulkas and jaffas ,it's most diverse.... Party

Don't quote me again... In this thread

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NiranjanGaaru said:

Lol

Pm is obc

Prez is dalit

HM is jain minority 

Assam used to have tribal chief minister

13% of modi cabinet is dalits, congress it used to 4%

Ila thousands of examples cheptha niku..... Where is brahmin cm In BJP except himanta biswas where is rajput CM in BJP except yogi, khatris, banias CMs evaru unaru except vijay rupani

So 4,5 /17 state CM BJP is ruling upper caste, migarha 12 CM obc, st, sc

Tdp and ycp cannot be compared with BJP, they are casteist parties to the core.... Kulaggajji people....... All top 4 , 5,A2,bojjala ,peddireddy ,yv subbi, ila all top positions in jaggad govt occupied by teddies....., pulkas time lo nri pacha mafia chesina extralu suveraa chow ni adigithe chepatadu...... 

So dont compare BJP with pulkas and jaffas ,it's most diverse.... Party

Don't quote me again... In this thread

PM is a OBC is a fraud. Prez as dalit is ridiculous then VP is kam. Yes they will have some tribal and bc cms as some place holder - even congress had Anjaiah etc for sometime. But everywhere congress and Bjp are quiet happy having few castes dominate states. Because they themselves are casteist and are basically one or two castes dominating their central leadership.

Tribals ekkada unnarva - jharkhan and arunachal lona ? akkada tribal thappa inkevarina untara. There is a problem you dont make progress in politics because you are not sincere in examining the facts.

3 minutes ago, Telugodura456 said:

PM is a OBC is a fraud. Prez as dalit is ridiculous then VP is kam. Yes they will have some tribal and bc cms as some place holder - even congress had Anjaiah etc for sometime. But everywhere congress and Bjp are quiet happy having few castes dominate states. Because they themselves are casteist and are basically one or two castes dominating their central leadership.

Tribals ekkada unnarva - jharkhan and arunachal lona ? akkada tribal thappa inkevarina untara. There is a problem you dont make progress in politics because you are not sincere in examining the facts.

Assam lo tribal undevaadu, now he resigned and himanta biswas sharma replaced him.. 

How come pm obc is a fraud

Anjaiah is reddy , get ur facts right

1 minute ago, NiranjanGaaru said:

Assam lo tribal undevaadu, now he resigned and himanta biswas sharma replaced him.. 

How come pm obc is a fraud

Anjaiah is reddy , get ur facts right

ok damodaram sanjivayya. Modi became BC through a bjp govt order not through mandal commission - he never did a thing for BCs anyway - whether it is NEET etc.

1 minute ago, Telugodura456 said:

ok damodaram sanjivayya. Modi became BC through a bjp govt order not through mandal commission - he never did a thing for BCs anyway - whether it is NEET etc.

BJP order bc a, ok

NEET lo em chesadu modi