New Employer asking to sign Arbitration agreement before joining

srinuchaitu

Hi All,

I am currently on H1B and got a new job.I am yet to decide whether to take up the job or not.

Meanwhile,the employer wants me to sign an arbitration agreement meanwhile to start the onboarding process and release the offer.

Can I sign the arbitration agreement and still not join the company if I don't want to?

Do you foresee any issues?

1 minute ago, srinuchaitu said:

Hi All,

I am currently on H1B and got a new job.I am yet to decide whether to take up the job or not.

Meanwhile,the employer wants me to sign an arbitration agreement meanwhile to start the onboarding process and release the offer.

Can I sign the arbitration agreement and still not join the company if I don't want to?

Do you foresee any issues?

arbitration is limiting their liability to avoid future lawsuits again them for any reason, contact a employment attorney to make sure which portions are highly skewed towards employer vs employee just to understand your risk exposure

there may be folks suing employer for asking to come to work during covid, that leaves an employee to sue employer over this forced coming back to work, it may be related my guess

5 minutes ago, pakeer_saab said:

arbitration is limiting their liability to avoid future lawsuits again them for any reason, contact a employment attorney to make sure which portions are highly skewed towards employer vs employee just to understand your risk exposure

there may be folks suing employer for asking to come to work during covid, that leaves an employee to sue employer over this forced coming back to work, it may be related my guess

Thanks Bro,but do you think signing this might affect me in anyway if I plan to not join the company due to some reason?

54 minutes ago, srinuchaitu said:

Thanks Bro,but do you think signing this might affect me in anyway if I plan to not join the company due to some reason?

not joining the company does not result in any liability for you as long as you don't get paid for anything, even if get paid can be returned back without much issues, read it carefully as its hard to understand whats in unless you post a screenshot of it redacting company information

1 hour ago, pakeer_saab said:

not joining the company does not result in any liability for you as long as you don't get paid for anything, even if get paid can be returned back without much issues, read it carefully as its hard to understand whats in unless you post a screenshot of it redacting company information

I meant what if I decide not to join after the H1B transfer related premium money is spent by the company?

Do you think it would cause an issue?

1 hour ago, srinuchaitu said:

I meant what if I decide not to join after the H1B transfer related premium money is spent by the company?

Do you think it would cause an issue?

yes, worst case you end up paying the H1B filing fees and premium fees, legally they can recover this amount only after joining the company, that is why arbitration comes in picture without a legal case