'Kar' is common on many maharashra crktrs

chinnapillalabandi

as far as I know all *kar ending are brahmins, kar means belonging to a place, usually western ghats of Maharastra. It basically intends to show that the family has roots in that particular village/town/region/district/city. E.g. Mumbaikar, Punekar, Gavaskar, Tendulkar,  Parulkar, Mangeshkar, etc.

https://engrave.in/blog/why-do-marathi-surnames-end-with-kar/

9 minutes ago, hyperbole said:

as far as I know all *kar ending are brahmins, kar means belonging to a place, usually western ghats of Maharastra. It basically intends to show that the family has roots in that particular village/town/region/district/city. E.g. Mumbaikar, Punekar, Gavaskar, Tendulkar,  Parulkar, Mangeshkar, etc.

https://engrave.in/blog/why-do-marathi-surnames-end-with-kar/

non-brahmins ki kuda untadi. For ex Ambedkar. I also have a friend who is non-brahmin with name ending kar

Just now, SUbba LIngam said:

non-brahmins ki kuda untadi. For ex Ambedkar. I also have a friend who is non-brahmin with name ending kar

originally it is only brahmins but those who didn't had last names or who want to change last names opted for some thing like *kar

13 minutes ago, SUbba LIngam said:

Ambedkar was his adopted surname, the person who he adopted that name from was his mentor and a Brahmin. He's the one that introduced Bhimrao to Buddhism

2 hours ago, tennisluvrredux said:

Kar means belonging to the village of ani ardam

So valla ancestral village edaitho undo aa prantham ki chendina vaaru ani

Nothing do with caste as a lot of people think

this is correct

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, tennisluvrredux said:

Ambedkar was his adopted surname, the person who he adopted that name from was his mentor and a Brahmin. He's the one that introduced Bhimrao to Buddhism

so...brahmins lo caste/religion revolutionists unnara?? why there are no such people from other castes also..