PM Says 3 Farm Laws To Be Cancelled

Kool_SRG

PM Modi said they haven't been able to convince farmers and only a section of farmers was opposing the laws, but they kept trying to educate and inform them.

dkberd88_pm-modi_625x300_19_November_21.jpg

New Delhi: 

Three controversial farm laws that caused massive farmer protests across the country will be withdrawn, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said today in a stunning announcement that comes ahead of key state elections.

The announcement came on the Guru Purab festival, when Sikhism founder Guru Nanak's birthday is celebrated.

"Maybe something was lacking in our tapasya, which is why we could not convince some farmers about the laws. But today is Prakash Parv, not the time to blame anyone. Today, I want to tell the country that we have decided to repeal the three farm laws," PM Modi said in an address to the nation.

"Whatever I did was for farmers. What I am doing is for the country."

Thousands of farmers from Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan have been camping outside Delhi since November 2020, demanding that the laws be withdrawn.

The protests did not stop through several rounds of talks between the government and farmers, disruptions in parliament and Supreme Court hearings.

"We haven't been able to convince farmers. Only a section of them was opposing the laws, but we kept trying to educate and inform them," PM Modi said.

The opposition and farmers accused the government of railroading the three laws without much discussion in parliament.

Farmer unions argue that the laws would expose them to unfair competition with corporates and would also deprive them of their assured earnings.

What are the three contentious farm laws?

The Farmers' Produce Trade and Commerce (Promotion and Facilitation) Act provides for setting up a mechanism allowing the farmers to sell their farm produces outside the Agriculture Produce Market Committees (APMCs). The Farmers (Empowerment and Protection) Agreement of Price Assurance and Farm Services Act allows farmers to do contract farming and market their produces freely. The Essential Commodities (Amendment) Act is an amendment to the existing Essential Commodities Act.

PM Modi's addresses the nation: Key highlights

• “We have decided to repeal all three farm laws, will begin the procedure at the Parliament session that begins this month. I urge farmers to return home to their families and let's start afresh," PM Modi said.
  • In coming Parliament session, we will take constitutional measures to repeal these farm laws, PM Modi said on Friday.
  • PM Narendra Modi appeals to protesting farmers to call off their agitation and return to their homes.
  • Three laws were in farmers' benefit but we couldn't convince section of farmers despite best efforts: PM Modi
  • PM Modi announces to repeal all three farm laws. “Today I want to tell everyone that we have decided to repeal all three farm laws," PM Modi said during address to the nation.
  • To ensure that farmers get the right amount for their hard work, many steps were taken. We strengthened the rural infrastructure market. We not only increased MSP but also set up record govt procurement centres. Procurement by our govt broke the record of past several decades: PM Modi
  • We worked to providing farmers with seeds at reasonable rates and facilities like micro-irrigation, 22 crore soil health cards. Such factors have contributed to increased agriculture production. We strengthened Fasal Bima Yojana, brought more farmers under it: PM Modi
  • Agriculture budget has risen by 5 times, over 1.25 lakh crore being spent annually: PM Modi
  • We have seen the challenges of farmers very closely in the life of our five decades. When the country gave us the opportunity to serve as Pradhan Sevaks in 2014, we gave top priority to agricultural development, farmer welfare, PM Modi said
  • PM Modi lists out measures taken by the Centre to improve farmers' situation.
  • PM Modi extends greeting on Guru Nanak Jayanti. "I extend my heartiest congratulations to all the people of the world and to all the countrymen. My heartiest congratulations to all the people of the world and to all the countrymen," he said.
  • PM Modi paid tributes to Sikhism founder Guru Nanak Dev on his birth anniversary, saying his vision of a just, compassionate and inclusive society inspires people.
  • The prime minister also paid tributes to Rani Lakshmibai, the Jhansi queen who had died fighting the British forces, saying she has a special place in the history of India and her bravery will not be forgotten by generations.
  • The prime minister is travelling to Jhansi on Friday to launch development projects and also to hand over indigenous defence equipment to the three military chiefs.
  • PM Modi on paid tributes to former prime minister Indira Gandhi on her birth anniversary.