Development to Management

areyentiraidhi

year motham edho laaginchina ..ratings and promotion cycle appudu chukkalu abba... okkokka word aachi tuchi matladaali, mana feelings mana gatham antha pakkana petti rock face petti matladaali.. in phone it was easy, but office ki pilisthey next yearr aa week antha WFH pettestha

7 minutes ago, Thokkalee said:

Program management ki move avvaddu… move to engineering management where you have a team and you work with the devs and architects… and also be hands on.. 

how different is  engineering management from project mgmt? 

10 minutes ago, ranku_mogudu said:

year motham edho laaginchina ..ratings and promotion cycle appudu chukkalu abba... okkokka word aachi tuchi matladaali, mana feelings mana gatham antha pakkana petti rock face petti matladaali.. in phone it was easy, but office ki pilisthey next yearr aa week antha WFH pettestha

do you manage 1 team? how is the pressure level?

29 minutes ago, Thokkalee said:

Program management ki move avvaddu… move to engineering management where you have a team and you work with the devs and architects… and also be hands on.. 

Program management path will let you become directors and manage engineering management later.

if you are originally a dev, it is hard to let go of what your core area and pursue the much broader PM path.
But PM path has greater impact and bragging rights.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, areyentiraidhi said:

do you manage 1 team? how is the pressure level?

I am program Manager  now baa..under me 4 applications( 4 tech managers) which have a size of 4-5 dev each. TOTAL of 26 report directly to me

so pressure depends on how we handle

First few things I have learnt( ofcourse my US partner always was there for advice) and two I went into many learning programs parallely in my spare time

1) You have to keep learning your functional side

2) trust your managers and keep touchpoints only with them. Promote the same culture to your tech/engg managers

3) Keep/attend meetings only if you are necessary and ensure the Agenda is published atleast 3 days before.

4) Plan your next day tonight before sleep

5)Plan breaktimes in between as you have to extend to meet different timezones. e.g., my first set of meetings finish between 9:30-11:30. I finish catchup of emails between 8-9 AM and think for 30 mins to plan my 9:30 to 11:30 according to importance of the day.

My break is from 1-4 PM where I can be reachable via mobile  and come to desktop or attend calls based on importance.. mostly I should thank my wife as she planned it out for me as she is in a similar role but salesforce tech

4:30 -8:30 is when I finish preparation and  rest of the meetings with EST and CST.

post dinner, I log back for 30 mins to plan tomorrow.

first few months will be chaotic..but eventually it gets sorted out.

however, one of my ex colleague in US is now a tech manager under me, his is much easier path and less stressful than mine... but he complains he started to get grey hair because of me when we talk offline

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, rmJU72 said:

Program management path will let you become directors and manage engineering management later.

if you are originally a dev, it is hard to let go of what your core area and pursue the much broader PM path.
But PM path has greater impact and bragging rights.

well said, and it is true.. in this year, my tech team had many innovations. I only gave a problem statement and some inputs in direction..overall  we saved 180k USD in  automations..  this immediately reflected as I am getting promoted to Sr Program Manager effective this feb. inka hike % details avi next monday telusthayi.. so I will have 2-3 program managers under me..  so number of direct reports will grow in size.. 

not sure to be happy or sad.. but many a times.. My heart wants to be a developer again and get into problem solving

but my  mind says, you are looking at a bigger picture hence solving a bigger problem.

my  cents baa..

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

Technical vs non technical..

I know, trying to understand more.

I never had engineering manger in previous jobs. Always it was just a project manager/scrum master.

So, a team will have project manager and engineering manager  ? 

My understanding  is

Project manager   will deal with managing team, meeting deadline and delivery of the project.

can you explain what does engineering manager do ? is it like architect/staff engineer role?

1 minute ago, areyentiraidhi said:

I know, trying to understand more.

I never had engineering manger in previous jobs. Always it was just a project manager/scrum master.

So, a team will have project manager and engineering manager  ? 

My understanding  is

Project manager   will deal with managing team, meeting deadline and delivery of the project.

can you explain what does engineering manager do ? is it like architect/staff engineer role?

Engineering manager are only in product companies ...

In product companies, engineering manager ,with help of his technical team delivers a feature - highly technical , often has staff / Senior engineers to help but can design and make decisions on all aspects of development. Usually other product owner / other program managers deal with agile work etc....

Again this can change from company to company.

1 hour ago, ranku_mogudu said:

well said, and it is true.. in this year, my tech team had many innovations. I only gave a problem statement and some inputs in direction..overall  we saved 180k USD in  automations..  this immediately reflected as I am getting promoted to Sr Program Manager effective this feb. inka hike % details avi next monday telusthayi.. so I will have 2-3 program managers under me..  so number of direct reports will grow in size.. 

not sure to be happy or sad.. but many a times.. My heart wants to be a developer again and get into problem solving

but my  mind says, you are looking at a bigger picture hence solving a bigger problem.

my  cents baa..

seems like it needs no/less technical skills, and your work boils down to keeping track of timelines, reducing cost, making process efficient.

Do you regret going away from tech side? 

Wondering if it will cause any visa/immigration issues and the role no longer need special technical skills ?

58 minutes ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

Engineering manager are only in product companies ...

In product companies, engineering manager ,with help of his technical team delivers a feature - highly technical , often has staff / Senior engineers to help but can design and make decisions on all aspects of development. Usually other product owner / other program managers deal with agile work etc....

Again this can change from company to company.

Thanks. So you are saying there will be both engineering managers and project managers in product based companies.  

engineering manager sounds more like a architect role from your comment, still bit unclear to me.

GC unte edi istham aithe adi chesuko man , not all people are interested in coding , some folks like management

GC lekapothe peddaga cheppedi em le , roju vari coolie bathuke annattu 

20 minutes ago, areyentiraidhi said:

seems like it needs no/less technical skills, and your work boils down to keeping track of timelines, reducing cost, making process efficient.

Do you regret going away from tech side? 

Wondering if it will cause any visa/immigration issues and the role no longer need special technical skills ?

It is often a misunderstanding that it only needs tracking..cost reduction..these are smaller things

In simple terms of a product based company.. Tech/engineering management is the heart  and Product management is the mind. Both are quintessential but Mind controls the Body.

So simple shift kaadhu..you need to understand your product and keep thinking on its improvement/growth.

one example, this year I got rid of OFSAA and got it written in Teradata..  Performance improvement ee kakunda we got  rid of oracle and its yearly billing just for OFSAA

similarly, We added a functionality to  project a loan life to date.. in words simple unna calculations are complex.. I had to learn a few things on my own and few with reference and spend almost 2-3 months to get the requirement documented.

where as engineering was done quickly as I was closely there and contributed in tech as well

so If we look at a bigger picture from product perspective.. My product users in front end can decide customer loan service better and easier which reduces load approval time ..saving money and reducing customer wait time

similarly , We have a compression  tool( Atana Suite) used by DBA team under me.. I took time to write a SP that does the same and can be used by applications under me.  So it was recognized as Outside innovator under technology category

And for your cochen.. I do regret but my team gives me chance to put my thoughts into technology and have few contributions 

next year aa chance undadhu as next level lo unappdu my day will get into 6 hrs of calls only.. mostly emaina certifications chestha in tech ..not to loose touch.. 

I shifted to INdia kaka..so no Visa issues currently