Development to Management

areyentiraidhi

56 minutes ago, areyentiraidhi said:

Thanks. So you are saying there will be both engineering managers and project managers in product based companies.  

engineering manager sounds more like a architect role from your comment, still bit unclear to me.

Product companies don't have architects...they do have architect role, but they are very few - equal to VP or SVP.. Not like service companies where each time has one.

You are right - usually I see " program manager "/ product owner along with engineering mgr. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/26/2022 at 4:42 PM, Peddayana said:

GC unte edi istham aithe adi chesuko man , not all people are interested in coding , some folks like management

GC lekapothe peddaga cheppedi em le , roju vari coolie bathuke annattu 

How one can switch to management if they have gc or citizenship and 15 years of functional experience ?

Is product manager a good role ? I know good is relative and broad . Between cloud architect and Product manager which has the better scope and market

In management, the higher you rank, the more hours you end up working with not enough time for personal life and WLB.

If you are not management material, shoot for an Architect role as no one reports to an architect (you don't need to manage people unless you are an Enterprise/Principal/Chief Architect) but everyone follows what an architect dictates and you don't need to work more hours. You should have the ability to make people listen to you even though no one reports to you. Because being an architect results in less/no coding (more money than in coding), if you still have a passion for coding, get a second job to do coding. That's how I do it.

On 1/26/2022 at 4:50 PM, ranku_mogudu said:

It is often a misunderstanding that it only needs tracking..cost reduction..these are smaller things

In simple terms of a product based company.. Tech/engineering management is the heart  and Product management is the mind. Both are quintessential but Mind controls the Body.

So simple shift kaadhu..you need to understand your product and keep thinking on its improvement/growth.

one example, this year I got rid of OFSAA and got it written in Teradata..  Performance improvement ee kakunda we got  rid of oracle and its yearly billing just for OFSAA

similarly, We added a functionality to  project a loan life to date.. in words simple unna calculations are complex.. I had to learn a few things on my own and few with reference and spend almost 2-3 months to get the requirement documented.

where as engineering was done quickly as I was closely there and contributed in tech as well

so If we look at a bigger picture from product perspective.. My product users in front end can decide customer loan service better and easier which reduces load approval time ..saving money and reducing customer wait time

similarly , We have a compression  tool( Atana Suite) used by DBA team under me.. I took time to write a SP that does the same and can be used by applications under me.  So it was recognized as Outside innovator under technology category

And for your cochen.. I do regret but my team gives me chance to put my thoughts into technology and have few contributions 

next year aa chance undadhu as next level lo unappdu my day will get into 6 hrs of calls only.. mostly emaina certifications chestha in tech ..not to loose touch.. 

I shifted to INdia kaka..so no Visa issues currently

Bro u moved from US to India for good? . How much is the pay similar to ur role in India 

• 6 months later...
On 1/26/2022 at 10:55 AM, areyentiraidhi said:

Anybody moved from dev to management ?  if so, share your experience.

You need to have the personality to deal with the stuff that comes with management.

• Absorb the pressure from management for missed deadlines, etc and convey it in a nice way to development team like a shock absorber at the same time not missing the message.
  • You need to have personality to be assertive with out being aggressive. 
  • Good communication skills
  • Straight forward nature. A lot of ppl who try to play games have success initially but eventually fail. Be straight forward with the team. No games. Team members respect that. 

Ppl who can manage these are a lot more successful than others.

On 4/17/2023 at 3:16 PM, Sanjiv said:

In management, the higher you rank, the more hours you end up working with not enough time for personal life and WLB.

If you are not management material, shoot for an Architect role as no one reports to an architect (you don't need to manage people unless you are an Enterprise/Principal/Chief Architect) but everyone follows what an architect dictates and you don't need to work more hours. You should have the ability to make people listen to you even though no one reports to you. Because being an architect results in less/no coding (more money than in coding), if you still have a passion for coding, get a second job to do coding. That's how I do it.

Not true if you know how to manage it. 

Managers need not be insecure and delegate some stuff to the architects/developers. At the same time do not delegate too much and get out of touch with technology. They can maintain balance.

On 1/26/2022 at 11:55 AM, areyentiraidhi said:

Anybody moved from dev to management ?  if so, share your experience.

Move to management when you get older. Tech industry is quite ageist and favours the young.

Management favours older people because more experience in the field. People find it amusing when a young management consultant straight from college tries to tell them how to financially run their field. 

2 hours ago, Konebhar6 said:

You need to have the personality to deal with the stuff that comes with management.

• Absorb the pressure from management for missed deadlines, etc and convey it in a nice way to development team like a shock absorber at the same time not missing the message.
  • You need to have personality to be assertive with out being aggressive. 
  • Good communication skills
  • Straight forward nature. A lot of ppl who try to play games have success initially but eventually fail. Be straight forward with the team. No games. Team members respect that. 

Ppl who can manage these are a lot more successful than others.

2 hours ago, Konebhar6 said:

Not true if you know how to manage it. 

Managers need not be insecure and delegate some stuff to the architects/developers. At the same time do not delegate too much and get out of touch with technology. They can maintain balance.

Idi correct