Is Sholay the greatest Indian movie ever made?

hyperbole

Sholay is considered a classic and one of the best Indian films. It was ranked first in the British Film Institute's 2002 poll of "Top 10 Indian Films" of all time. I am of the opinion it is best movie ever made on Indian screen. It is a walking guide for every aspirational movie makers( director, story/ dialogue writers  and actors)

Sholay was inspired from magnificent seven which was already a hit in Hollywood. Technically Sholay was way ahead of its time when it released.

Each character in Sholay, right from Gabbar to Mausi and Soorma Bhopali to Samba, each of the character had a peculiar style, a midas touch, a masterpiece in its own, in that movie. The characterization was so strong that most of the secondary characters could never step out of their Sholay image, McMohan and Jagdeep being an example. Such strong characterizations with heavily emotionally touching scenes, see a man's family being slaughtered and then his own hands being amputated, see a widow being widowed 'twice' in the course of the movie, see a dacoit killing his own men for a silly mistake - and you get a drama that had never before seen in Indian Cinema. Sholay was truly a masterpiece from Saleem khan and Javed Akhtar.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, hyperbole said:

Sholay is considered a classic and one of the best Indian films. It was ranked first in the British Film Institute's 2002 poll of "Top 10 Indian Films" of all time. I am of the opinion it is best movie ever made on Indian screen. It is a walking guide for every aspirational movie makers( director, story/ dialogue writers  and actors)

Sholay was inspired from magnificent seven which was already a hit in Hollywood. Technically Sholay was way ahead of its time when it released.

Each character in Sholay, right from Gabbar to Mausi and Soorma Bhopali to Samba, each of the character had a peculiar style, a midas touch, a masterpiece in its own, in that movie. The characterization was so strong that most of the secondary characters could never step out of their Sholay image, McMohan and Jagdeep being an example. Such strong characterizations with heavily emotionally touching scenes, see a man's family being slaughtered and then his own hands being amputated, see a widow being widowed 'twice' in the course of the movie, see a dacoit killing his own men for a silly mistake - and you get a drama that had never before seen in Indian Cinema. Sholay was truly a masterpiece from Saleem khan and Javed Akhtar.

At that time they dunno abt other languages.... If they have know or somebody from south have marketed some other language... We will also get that applause

5 minutes ago, kittaya said:

At that time they dunno abt other languages.... If they have know or somebody from south have marketed some other language... We will also get that applause

In my opinion even to date there is no movie like Sholay, it is unique - a master piece - a tight script, unforgettable dialogues, superb performances, screenplay, direction and cinematography - every aspect in it is like a guide for an aspiring movie maker. 

30 minutes ago, Epic said:

Maya bazar for me, Sholay ofcourse is a master piece. Nayakudu(god father), aditya 369(back to future) are few others..

Also check out Mughal-e-Azam. K Asif poured his life (16 years in making from the ideation), it is regarded as one of the greatest as well and regarded as one of the artistic films ever made on Indian screen

2 minutes ago, hyperbole said:

Mughal-e-Azam

Watched it on TV when I was 7-8 , my dad was big fan of Dilip Kumar - then it was depressing for me. I think you need to watch these classics at different ages of your life to preceive them better.

49 minutes ago, Swatkat said:

Arey arey rei entra e cinemalu e uncles antha inthena @Shameless oka happy days, rrr generation nadhi.

Happy Days occhinappudu nenu 3rd class chadhuvuthunna Swatty...Brahmi Shy Siggu GIF - Brahmi Shy Shy Siggu GIFs

2 hours ago, hyperbole said:

Moggem kaadu Son of India chusi matladu

• Haha 1