V for Visionary

psycopk

from CBN

I extend my congratulations to the Indian School of Business (ISB) on the occasion of their 20th anniversary celebrations. Glad to know that Prime Minister Narendra Modi Ji will attend the graduation ceremony of the Post Graduate Programme Class. 

I will walk you down the memory lane today. Back in the late 1990s, I envisioned to transform Gachibowli region into a Financial District. I needed a magnet that could attract the best minds from the corporate and academic worlds. A world-class business school fit perfectly into my vision. 

I am not exaggerating when I say ISB was conceived over a cup of tea. In 1998, some of the top Fortune 500 Companies wanted to collaboratively open a business school that would address the leadership needs of emerging Asian economies. I had even heard that an ISB Board was formed, and that they had associated with the prestigious Wharton School and The Kellogg School of Management. I sensed opportunity to position Hyderabad into their scheme of things. I called up a meeting with my team and requested them to undertake a detailed study about the aspects that can make Hyderabad win over other cities while pitching for ISB. 

Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Haryana and other States were working hard to attract the ISB. My team reached out to the Board and requested them to consider Hyderabad before they took the final decision. The Board members had made up their mind to finalize either Mumbai or Bengaluru. Hyderabad was not even on their list. When I got to know about this, I knew time was running out. When my team called them up, they expressed reservations and procrastinated. It meant they were uninterested. I knew it was time for me to call them directly. They least expected that a Chief Minister would call them and request for a Tea meeting in Hyderabad. Thankfully, they obliged. They told me candidly that they had no plans for Hyderabad, but would only come and accept our hospitality as courtesy. I sat down with my team for 4 days, spending sleepless nights to create a pitch deck that would catch the interest of the ISB Board. Smart & Effective Governance, Connectivity, Law & Order, Abundant Resources and Strict Policing were some of our pitch points. 

Leaving no stone unturned, I sent two of my Cabinet Ministers to receive them personally at the airport. They were brought to my residence. Breaking protocol, I personally served breakfast to make them feel at home. When I met them they told me they never sat down for negotiations with a Chief Minister. They always interacted with the bureaucracy. I told them they will have unbridled access to me, directly. They were startled. This never happened in the India of 1990s. 

I took 30 minutes to make a powerpoint presentation about Hyderabad and the then Andhra Pradesh’s potential. I assured them that they would be No Red Tape, No Bureaucratic Hurdles, No Administrative Delay, Best Incentives, and above all, Direct Communication With Me. The conversation took place beyond lunch, until Tea. I zealously explained why Hyderabad was to be chosen above Mumbai and Bengaluru. They got answers for all their questions. It was noticeable that I caught their attention. They told me they will get back to me with a decision. The rest is history. 

The Government of Andhra Pradesh signed an MoU on 19th September 1998 for the setting up of ISB in Hyderabad. The Foundation Stone was laid on 20th December 1999. It was an honour to have former Prime Minister Sri Atal Bihari Vajpayee ji to inaugurate ISB on 2nd December 2001. We had the great leader’s unstinted support throughout the journey. 

I wish ISB grows from strength to strength and continues to be the top business school it is today, creating the visionary thought leaders of tomorrow.

• Like 2