Growth mind set ----- lifted from linked in

csrcsr

“Growth Mindset is a double-edged sword - I learned it the hard way!" 🤔

In my previous role at Amazon, I volunteered myself for a challenging goal in Advertising org - “To understand the impact of ad relevance on business metrics (CTR & iOPS) on 3rd party blogs.” In simple terms, Sr leadership wanted an objective answer to this question:
“How bad was showing a bicycle ad on a technology blog?” (ya, we were doing it at that time, with valid reasons ofcourse 🙂).

The growth mindset traits that led me to take up this ambiguous research project were - my desire to learn and explore the emerging tech space of AI/ML, willingness to take on different roles and drive the project end-to-end, and the fact that this had the potential to be a high visibility project, as it was blessed with frequent Amazon VP's famous single liner questions.

Despite consistent roadblocks, my team did deliver a successful prototype, using more than 10 learning models, classifying 100K+ URLs, with 1M+ predictions, in a span of 6 months, solving multiple business problems creating many success stories on all fronts, but at what cost?

Looking back, the constant “Can do, no matter what!” attitude had its pitfalls:

🔥BurnOut BurnOut! - Achieving sustainable peak performance requires a balance of emotional and mental well-being. However, in my pursuit of learning, I had to put in extra hours and energy, resulting in neglecting my family, health, and other priorities, causing anxiety and physical ailments.

The Learning Paralysis: It was very hard for me to NOT get into every detail about ML/AI; I wanted to know how the industry was solving this problem, algorithms, technology, tools. Not drawing a boundary of how much I should be knowing v/s learning every detail, resulted in delayed actions.

😰Self-criticism Spiral: I failed at achieving my personal goal of getting through a role transition, as part of this project. My growth mentality of “Effort is everything” just fell flat on the ground, and I found myself questioning my self-worth. Am I good enough? Maybe, if I only knew some more technology or execution skills? I failed to recognize the environmental dynamics, typical challenges of research projects or learning from others who had treaded the same path.

Lessons Learned:
Growth mindset is important, but balance it with a sense of realism & objectivity.
Don't always strive for improvement at all costs, take a step back & assess the changing dynamics of your environment.
Growth = Long journey of patience. Enjoy everything, including the changes.
Identify people who have walked the same path. There's a gold mine of experience which can be leveraged. Network and Connect!
To lead effectively, you don’t need to know everything, instead focus on asking the right questions.

For me, now Growth is a holistic process and embracing a fail-fast mentality, along with objectively assessing my environment, is crucial for success.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, pichhipullayya said:

tell in 1-2 points anna

Vedhava Sodhi.Gif GIF - Vedhava Sodhi Bala Krishna Legend Movie GIFs

how chasing growth all the time in life get you up the career at the same time stressing out corporates lo with current framework we have to keep on chasing growth fro example if you are working in company and you got exceeds all rating (top rating) for 4 years and on 5th year you get poor rating because of some family you will be in PIP 

2 hours ago, csrcsr said:

how chasing growth all the time in life get you up the career at the same time stressing out corporates lo with current framework we have to keep on chasing growth fro example if you are working in company and you got exceeds all rating (top rating) for 4 years and on 5th year you get poor rating because of some family you will be in PIP 

Manaku Kavalsindi Manaki Kavalasindi GIF - Manaku Kavalsindi Manaki Kavalasindi Kuda Adheylemma GIFs

25 minutes ago, Spartan said:

sSa_j@il  emaina bisket aite....ide mail pedta na good bye mail lo ma office vallaki,.

Good byyye mail petali ante market lo Jon undali kada anna rofl okadu kuda respond kuda aithaledu