politics shuru ainayi.....

dasari4kntr

Jerome Powell Has ‘Failed,’ Should Not Be Fed Chairman, Says Sen. Elizabeth Warren

Jerome Powell “has failed” and should not be the chairman of the Federal Reserve, Sen. Elizabeth Warren said in an interview criticizing the central bank chief.

Warren (D., MA) said that Powell has failed in monetary policy and regulation in an interview Sunday with NBC’s “Meet the Press,” ramping up her criticism of the central bank chairman after calling for investigations into recent bank failures over the weekend.

“I don’t think he should be chairman of the Federal Reserve,” said Warren—a member of the Senate Banking Committee—in the NBC interview. “I have said it as publicly as I know how to say it. I’ve said it to everyone.”

While there is rarely a week when the Federal Reserve is off the minds of investors, the central bank and other federal financial regulators have been catapulted into the public eye in recent weeks amid a crisis of confidence across the U.S. banking sector.

The collapse of Silicon Valley Bank on March 10 has ushered in a wave of worries over the health of banks—some of which has gone global—raising questions over regulation and the future of Fed monetary policy. Much of the stress on lenders has come from losses on bond portfolios, an unintended consequence of the Fed aggressively raising interest rates over the past year in a bid to tame decades-high inflation.

Banking woes have raised expectations among investors that the Fed will soon usher in more accommodative monetary policy, perhaps even cutting rates this year, despite multiple signs that inflationary pressures remain. While Warren may be referring to challenges the Fed faces in orchestrating a “soft landing”—controlling inflation without spurring recession—the brunt of her criticism is in the field of regulation.

A proponent of tighter banking rules, Warren said in the NBC interview that Powell “took a flamethrower to the regulations,” referring to a wave of deregulation during the years when Donald Trump was president. Powell has been chairman of the Fed since 2018.

Remarks to the media over the weekend dovetail with a letter from Warren to watchdogs at the Treasury Department, Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., and the Fed calling for an independent investigation into bank collapses. The senator put a particular emphasis on regulatory and supervisory problems—the domain of the Fed—that contributed to the failure of Silicon Valley Bank as well as Signature Bank, which also recently was shuttered by regulators.

“I am particularly concerned that you avoid any interference from Fed Chair Jerome Powell, who bears direct responsibility for—and has a long record of failure involving—regulatory and supervisory matters involving these two banks,” Warren’s letter read.

10 minutes ago, dasari4kntr said:

you are ahead of warren...

A lot of people probably felt the same way too. But they were all probably waiting for the right time and situation.

In my case, I have a liberty to dish it out easily. I’m anonymous and I don’t have to face any professional aftermath after bad mouthing a fed chairman. 

1 minute ago, veerigadu said:

A lot of people probably felt the same way too. But they were all probably waiting for the right time and situation.

In my case, I have a liberty to dish it out easily. I’m anonymous and I don’t have to face any professional aftermath after bad mouthing a fed chairman. 

fed initial response was very slow like one year slow…

they should have acted in 2021…(after seeing all the 2021 craziness..)

but recently they are trying best…but damage was already done…

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, dasari4kntr said:

Almost every analyst predicted this By Q1 2021.. and fed took almost one year to act. In the meantime JP did get extension. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pahelwan2 said:

Fed pause is going to be suicidal. 

They r in worst possible situation. Mundu nuyyi venuka guyyi.

if they dont increAse interest rates, inflation cant be controlled. If the increase the interest rates further, banking sector will be in deep shittt

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Vaampire said:

They r in worst possible situation. Mundu nuyyi venuka guyyi.

if they dont increAse interest rates, inflation cant be controlled. If the increase the interest rates further, banking sector will be in deep shittt

They will protect banks inflations lite theskuntaru

1 hour ago, dasari4kntr said:

mid terms kosam agaru 

tough situation now

1 minute ago, argadorn said:

They will protect banks inflations lite theskuntaru

Yes inflation is a much lesser problem now. Banking problem can create a chaos at unprecedented levels.  

• Upvote 1