Biden, House Republican Leaders Strike Deal ‘in Principle’ to Raise U.S. Debt Limit

dasari4kntr

Deal comes as U.S. government risks running short of money to pay its debts

WASH­ING­TON—Pres­i­dent Biden and House Speaker Kevin Mc­Carthy (R., Calif.) have reached an agree­ment “in prin­ci­ple” for rais­ing the na­tion’s roughly $31.4 tril­lion bor­row­ing limit, ac­cord­ing to a per­son fa­mil­iar with ne­go­ti­a­tions, mov­ing to end a months-long stand­off that has threat­ened a his­toric de­fault on U.S. gov­ern­ment debt and put the global econ­omy on edge.

Ne­go­tia­tors on both sides are work­ing on fi­nal bill text, that per­son said. The agree­ment was an­nounced hours af­ter Biden and Mc­Carthy spoke by phone for roughly 90 min­utes.

Re­pub­li­cans and De­moc­rats will now race to pass the agree­ment through both cham­bers of Con­gress, with a House vote ex­pected next week. Trea­sury Sec­re­tary Janet Yellen has said that the U.S. could run short of money to pay its bills as soon as June 5, a sce­nario that could have deep eco­nomic and fi­nan­cial con­se­quences.

Ne­go­ti­a­tions to raise the na­tion’s $31.4 tril­lion debt ceil­ing and avert an un­prece-dented de­fault stretched through Sat­ur­day, as Pres­i­dent Biden and House Re­pub­li­cans sig­naled that a deal was near but stick­ing points re­mained.

Biden and House Speaker Kevin Mc­Carthy (R., Calif.) spoke on the phone Sat­ur­day evening for about 90 min­utes, a White House spokesman said, af­ter rep­re­sen­ta-tives for the ad­min­is­tra­tion and House Re­pub­li­cans spent the day in ne­go­ti­a­tions.

The pres­i­dent spoke ear­lier Sat­ur­day with De­mo­c­ra­tic lead­ers in Con­gress—Sen­ate Ma­jor­ity Leader Chuck Schumer and House Mi­nor­ity Leader Ha­keem Jef­fries, both of New York—these peo­ple said.

Mc­Carthy started the day say­ing he was un­sure when a deal would be ready. “We’ll get it when it gets right…We’ve got to make sure we get a right agree­ment for the Amer­i­can peo­ple,” he said.

Mc­Carthy also said that be­fore an­nounc­ing a deal, he plans to brief the GOP con­fer­ence and con­gres­sional lead­ers. Such a call was sched­uled for 9:30 p.m. ET on Sat­ur­day.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/debt-ceiling-talks-extend-into-weekend-with-deal-seen-as-close-7eb59fbc

• Confused 1

23 minutes ago, dasari4kntr said:

Deal comes as U.S. government risks running short of money to pay its debts

WASH­ING­TON—Pres­i­dent Biden and House Speaker Kevin Mc­Carthy (R., Calif.) have reached an agree­ment “in prin­ci­ple” for rais­ing the na­tion’s roughly $31.4 tril­lion bor­row­ing limit, ac­cord­ing to a per­son fa­mil­iar with ne­go­ti­a­tions, mov­ing to end a months-long stand­off that has threat­ened a his­toric de­fault on U.S. gov­ern­ment debt and put the global econ­omy on edge.

Ne­go­tia­tors on both sides are work­ing on fi­nal bill text, that per­son said. The agree­ment was an­nounced hours af­ter Biden and Mc­Carthy spoke by phone for roughly 90 min­utes.

Re­pub­li­cans and De­moc­rats will now race to pass the agree­ment through both cham­bers of Con­gress, with a House vote ex­pected next week. Trea­sury Sec­re­tary Janet Yellen has said that the U.S. could run short of money to pay its bills as soon as June 5, a sce­nario that could have deep eco­nomic and fi­nan­cial con­se­quences.

Ne­go­ti­a­tions to raise the na­tion’s $31.4 tril­lion debt ceil­ing and avert an un­prece-dented de­fault stretched through Sat­ur­day, as Pres­i­dent Biden and House Re­pub­li­cans sig­naled that a deal was near but stick­ing points re­mained.

Biden and House Speaker Kevin Mc­Carthy (R., Calif.) spoke on the phone Sat­ur­day evening for about 90 min­utes, a White House spokesman said, af­ter rep­re­sen­ta-tives for the ad­min­is­tra­tion and House Re­pub­li­cans spent the day in ne­go­ti­a­tions.

The pres­i­dent spoke ear­lier Sat­ur­day with De­mo­c­ra­tic lead­ers in Con­gress—Sen­ate Ma­jor­ity Leader Chuck Schumer and House Mi­nor­ity Leader Ha­keem Jef­fries, both of New York—these peo­ple said.

Mc­Carthy started the day say­ing he was un­sure when a deal would be ready. “We’ll get it when it gets right…We’ve got to make sure we get a right agree­ment for the Amer­i­can peo­ple,” he said.

Mc­Carthy also said that be­fore an­nounc­ing a deal, he plans to brief the GOP con­fer­ence and con­gres­sional lead­ers. Such a call was sched­uled for 9:30 p.m. ET on Sat­ur­day.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/debt-ceiling-talks-extend-into-weekend-with-deal-seen-as-close-7eb59fbc

So tueday gattiga lestai antava thata