Desi - northie - woman - arrogant - boss

Prasthaanam

Some yrs back, a consultant asked me my salary as he was planning to take full time.

I gave a nice smile and told him, neither my parents or my wife know my salary. Wife has an idea but does not know exactly. Do not expect me to share this information with you. 

I asked him to look into Glass door and other places to know the salary ranges. I told him he can negotiate for sign on bonus, relocation expenses, and company guest house accommodation if needed. 

13 minutes ago, Konebhar6 said:

Most US companies have salary ranges and grades. While recruiting, HR tries to hire a person at a salary which is below or at Median.

Lets say market is bad, candidate has no negotiating power, he settles at X salary.

Another person Y joined when market was excellent with all negotiating power and the manager/company was desperate to hire. He was hired into a different team with X+20% salary. 

X is not happy when he learnt Y's salary. First of all X should not discuss salary with Y. X goes to his manager and tells this. 

Now X's Manager does not have access to Y's salary to validate. He cannot even go to HR and ask this. If Y was with in his team, its the managers responsibility to reduce the gap as much as possible. What can X manager do now?

Its not a fair world. 

I don't need to discuss with Y; wouldn't I know if its posted in the job posting ? per say salary range is between certain amount. 
why would I say that he discussed with Y abt his salary; can't I just say that I am expecting to match the rate or higher than what company is offering to new hires with same exp and employment grade ??

1 hour ago, Konebhar6 said:

He should have asked, I need to make more money.

nenu ayithe go find a new job ante vadini  😁.

3 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

nenu ayithe go find a new job ante vadini  😁.

Yeh but in a nice way.

I understand your situation but unfortunately cant do anything. I cannot compare salaries esp with some one in a different team. I completely understand if you decide to explore opportunities outside. 

8 minutes ago, lollilolli2020 said:

I don't need to discuss with Y; wouldn't I know if its posted in the job posting ? per say salary range is between certain amount. 
why would I say that he discussed with Y abt his salary; can't I just say that I am expecting to match the rate or higher than what company is offering to new hires with same exp and employment grade ??

Salary range's are very wide. For e.g it says salaries between $1,10,000 to $1,80,000. 

A good manager knows the salary for people in his team and should offer the same compensation to a person with same experience irrespective of situation. If the person is asking for more, simply deny the candidate as he cannot do injustice to others in the team. 

Lets say in your situation, you can definitely refer to an job posting for similar position by the company and the compensation that was offered in it. I am wondering why a company would offer less? 

20 minutes ago, Konebhar6 said:

Some yrs back, a consultant asked me my salary as he was planning to take full time.

I gave a nice smile and told him, neither my parents or my wife know my salary. Wife has an idea but does not know exactly. Do not expect me to share this information with you

I asked him to look into Glass door and other places to know the salary ranges. I told him he can negotiate for sign on bonus, relocation expenses, and company guest house accommodation if needed. 

Idi wrong kada bro; that's the problem with desis; adedo taboo lekka feel aitharu; 
if not parents atleast partner should know is what I feel, not just salary  where you put money into; whom you lent your money to; where you have invested into; god forbid but in the time of crisis there should be a way for rightful claim to your money.  

also if you don't openly discuss how do you know if you are paid properly or not ??
I am not getting the video but thanmay bhat di oka video vuntundi its called  Clueless Conversation; in that one discussion was that there were 2 guys being hired for a company; one guy negotiated his salary to an X amount, and the other guy also got the same salary even if he has not negotiated; had the first guy didn't do it they might have ended up getting the same salary what company intended to give. 

I was told that you shouldn't say any dollar amount when asked about what is your rate expectation; company budget endoo telvali kada without that how could you say what your experience or expertise is worth; and at the same time how can you not be ambitious and also voluntarily don't get beaten below the belt in a desperate bid to get employed.  

24 minutes ago, Konebhar6 said:

Salary range's are very wide. For e.g it says salaries between $1,10,000 to $1,80,000. 

A good manager knows the salary for people in his team and should offer the same compensation to a person with same experience irrespective of situation. If the person is asking for more, simply deny the candidate as he cannot do injustice to others in the team. 

Lets say in your situation, you can definitely refer to an job posting for similar position by the company and the compensation that was offered in it. I am wondering why a company would offer less? 

hypothetical bro; 

Desi HR gallu vuntaru gaa kakurthi gallu or account managers who always bent on savings; I am not sure how it works in other organizations; 

5 minutes ago, lollilolli2020 said:

Idi wrong kada bro; that's the problem with desis; adedo taboo lekka feel aitharu; 
if not parents atleast partner should know is what I feel, not just salary  where you put money into; whom you lent your money to; where you have invested into; god forbid but in the time of crisis there should be a way for rightful claim to your money.  

also if you don't openly discuss how do you know if you are paid properly or not ??
I am not getting the video but thanmay bhat di oka video vuntundi its called  Clueless Conversation; in that one discussion was that there were 2 guys being hired for a company; one guy negotiated his salary to an X amount, and the other guy also got the same salary even if he has not negotiated; had the first guy didn't do it they might have ended up getting the same salary what company intended to give. 

I was told that you shouldn't say any dollar amount when asked about what is your rate expectation; company budget endoo telvali kada without that how could you say what your experience or expertise is worth; and at the same time how can you not be ambitious and also voluntarily don't get beaten below the belt in a desperate bid to get employed.  

I should have written, even my parents/wife never asked my salary.

I do tell them but they don’t care or remember. In fact I have a personal finance sheet with all my balances, accounts and passwords shared with them. I have an estate setup as well.

You absolutely need to negotiate your salary without referring to others. This is what I feel is my fair compensation based on a similar role posted on your job site, market etc. now it’s up to the company to see if they can afford you or not. They have a budget too.

8 minutes ago, lollilolli2020 said:

hypothetical bro; 

Desi HR gallu vuntaru gaa kakurthi gallu or account managers who always bent on savings; I am not sure how it works in other organizations; 

I have not seen this in my experience.

3 hours ago, Konebhar6 said:

Desis too are learning the nuances of management and have come a long way. 
Agree on first time managers, some can behave this way. But they will learn, else will be forced to learn the hard way ( getting fired).

As a part of my job description, I also act as a PM

Let me tell you this. Mana Teja luu they use resources to meet their own agendas and targets. Akkadeee penta start…They expect their subordinates to work hard. So that they can look good eyes in the eyes of senior leadership.

But it’s not always about targets. People should also enjoy working with you. 

Management is more about managing people and resource while meeting the goal and objectives of the project/org. There is no room for individual agenda here. So times chusi chudanattu vadileyyali. At times, very supporting ga undali even if subordinate mess up things. 

By grace of God, I had a good role model. Oka thella manager. I learnt alot from that person when I was working under that person. 

• Upvote 1

Same in my wife company… desi manager Entha work chesina you need to do more ani chepthadu… and involved all projects and lots of stress to complete work … nenu emo after 5pm I won’t even look team messages unless it’s a prod issue ..my wife emo ee work full stress out and couldn’t spend much time with kids .. sometimes she works till 4am… finally I told say to your manager u  r overloaded ani … and she finally did appudu knni projects work tesesaru…

unless u say it won’t happen 

2 hours ago, Konebhar6 said:

I gave a nice smile and told him, neither my parents or my wife know my salary. Wife has an idea but does not know exactly. Do not expect me to share this information with you. 

anna how much is your salary ani @csrcsradagamannadu @Konebhar6

18 hours ago, Prasthaanam said:

Wife koncham sad ga untundhi. Endhuku ani enquire chesthe, kothaga vachina valla boss meetings lo arrogancy chuspisthundhi , mari bossy gaa maatladuthundhi ani cheppindhi.

Nenu friday work from home chesi valla meeting lo pakkana kurchoni vinnanu… meeting laa ledhu adhi, interrogation chesthundhi.. 

niku idhi kuda telidha? ,

dont talk to me in technical terms ani arusthu maatladuthundhi.. kotha technology itcharu wife ki… full time job.. 

how to handle this without escalation? 

No choice 

verey job or verey team ki pommanu

managment knows that manager is productive and get the things done 

clear ga kanipistundi priorities so naman daari manam suskodame