Treasure found in a home remodel ( Best part he found 2 other boxes similarly on the next day)

timmy

Box I found during a recent home remodel

Box I found during a recent home remodel

So my family and I have been living in our house we bought some years back. The house was built in the late 40's. I am a 35 year old do-it-yourselfer so I had remodeled everything on the first and second floors when it came time to remodel the basement.
Peeled back the walls

Peeled back the walls

We peeled back the walls and revealed some random writing and drawings. Nothing too special here.
More of the wall art

More of the wall art

Here is some more wall art exposed.
More interesting wall art

More interesting wall art

Here it gets a little more strange. Are those swastikas? This place was built in the late 40s?

Time to remove the ceiling

Time to remove the ceiling

Time to remove the ceiling now and it sucks! There is a good 1/4 inch of dust on of the ceiling. We put up plastic to keep the dust out of the rest of the house and exposed then patched the air returns first.
This is interesting

This is interesting

I stumbled upon a box in the ceiling. Cool! A treasure. I must document this for Imgur. It is about time I contributed to the community. *The box was replaced for this picture and the next picture after the fact. All other pictures are as it happened.
Better picture

Better picture

Here is a better picture with flash. *This picture was also staged after the fact.

Took the Box outside

Took the Box outside

I took the box outside and gathered the wife. It has something inside, but not heavy like coins or gold bars. Might get lucky though. Could be old sports cards?
Banana for scale

Banana for scale

Spent the next 30 minutes looking for a banana. This is the best we could find. Deal with it.
Removing the string

Removing the string

Removing the string. The anticipation is growing. What could it be? About tree fiddy?

Newspaper back

Newspaper back

Here is the back of the news paper. Nothing significant in the paper. It may have just been there to protect the other contents.
Newspaper date

Newspaper date

The paper is dated March 25, 1951. This must be near the time the box was hidden.

More than just one twenty

More than just one twenty

These are all twenties! There may be a couple thousand here! We are freaking out at this point. This doesn't happen to us! What do we do? Where are the cameras?

Full contents revealed!Full contents revealed!

Full contents revealed!

The second package didn't have any twenties. It was all fifties! What is going on here? There could be 5 grand here!. Wait!!!! The third package is 100s!!!! This is out of control!!! *Sorry I didn't get a picture opening each package, Our excitement overwhelmed us.

Some rare notes?

Some rare notes?

Some of the bills were rarer than others. Some brown notes, a gold certificate and some star notes nearly uncirculated. All bills were from 1928-1934. What do we do now? Is it ours? What is it worth? I can't put this on imgur! Next was hours of inventory and googling. I decided that we needed to have the special bills appraised and talk to a lawyer about how to proceed. Once the legal stuff was taken care of I decided to continue with the plan to post to imgur. This was a wild ride for us and I hope you all enjoyed it too. We are boring people and have been dumping our extra money to pay off our mortgage and that is where this money will go too. Front Page edit** Whohoo! first time to the front page. I'm glad you all like the post. Stay tuned for more! Send money to the charity of your choosing.