Wimbledon predictions 2017

tennisluvr

30 minutes ago, r2d2 said:

I said.. someone with a 'c' in their name will win..  Cilic is in the final.. hopefully Berdych wins the other semifinal...

FedEx has won enough...

He should win much more, so Nadal cannot overtake him. also Djokovic.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tennisluvr

• lazybugger

• ronitreddy

• dakumangalsingh

Another tie break win for Roger, getting boring now. 

I am gonna skip this match and rest of the Wimbledon, at this rate. 

If Cilic can battle the crowd and Federer, on the other hand. 

42 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

He should win much more, so Nadal cannot overtake him. also Djokovic.

Hmmmm... he could overtake just by playing French Open ... only injury can stop..

Just now, r2d2 said:

Hmmmm... he could overtake just by playing French Open ... only injury can stop..

okay. so Federer should win as many as he can, so Nadal cannot catch up to him.

5 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

Another tie break win for Roger, getting boring now. 

I am gonna skip this match and rest of the Wimbledon, at this rate. 

If Cilic can battle the crowd and Federer, on the other hand. 

Nadal vs Mueller was the only match worth watching in the second week.

4 minutes ago, lazybugger said:

Nadal vs Mueller was the only match worth watching in the second week.

True. 

The first tie break was good in this game as well, but knowing what happens in the tie breakers when Roger is there it's not too hard to predict the outcome

Not watching it anymore, gonna read the news after a couple of hours

41 minutes ago, tennisluvr said:

True. 

The first tie break was good in this game as well, but knowing what happens in the tie breakers when Roger is there it's not too hard to predict the outcome

Not watching it anymore, gonna read the news after a couple of hours

tennishater @3$%

Wimbledon 2017: Garbine Muguruza beats Venus Williams to win first title

Spain's Garbine Muguruza won her first Wimbledon title with a straight-set win over five-time champion Venus Williams.

The 23-year-old saved two set points and won the last nine games in a 7-5 6-0 victory under the Centre Court roof.

Muguruza denied the 37-year-old a first major title for nine years, which would have made her the oldest female Grand Slam champion in the Open era.

It is 14th seed Muguruza's second Grand Slam title after her French Open triumph over Serena Williams in 2016.

"I had the hardest match today against Venus," said Muguruza.

"She's such an incredible player. I grew up watching her play - sorry," she added, to the watching Williams.

"I feel incredible to be able to play her here. Of course I'm nervous because I always dreamed about winning it, but I was composed."

Having lost to Serena Williams in the 2015 final, Muguruza becomes the second Spanish woman to win the Wimbledon singles title after her coach, Conchita Martinez.

A close contest was forecast, and for 40 minutes it proved impossible to separate the two finalists as their impressive serves dominated.

Williams had her chance to take control but failed to convert two set points at 5-4, and her challenge faded dramatically as the last nine games went to Muguruza.

"I miss Serena," Williams said afterwards, with her sister back in the United States awaiting the birth of her first child.

"I tried my best to do the things you do - but I think there will be other opportunities."

Williams had opened the match with an ace, and Muguruza with a double fault, and it was the American who held a narrow edge as the first set unfolded.

A first break point disappeared into the net at 3-2 before Muguruza missed her chance with a wayward forehand return in the following game.

When the Spaniard's first serve momentarily let her down it presented Williams with two set points, but she succumbed in a gripping 20-stroke rally, and then sent a return long.

The American's forehand then completely deserted her, four errors in a row helping Muguruza to finally clinch the first break at 6-5, and a brilliant backhand lob helped the Spaniard secure the set.

It felt like the first blow in a lengthy encounter, but instead the final was over just 25 minutes later.

Williams double faulted to drop serve at the start of the second set and, now moving sluggishly, steered a volley into the tramlines to fall 3-0 down.

While the former champion faded, Muguruza accelerated towards the finish line, breaking for a fourth time in succession and powering to three match points on serve.

The first two slipped by but not the third, which required the confirmation of Hawkeye before Muguruza was able to drop to the turf in celebration.