Car recommendations for parents in India

raikkonen

4 hours ago, Android_Halwa said:

Ford Ecosport is perfect match for the conditions.

I bought one for my parents and they do mostly highway and town travel than city and so parking and all are not much of a concern and this car is more like utility than luxury....and safety standards are much better and decently priced..

If you are looking to go for a petrol fired, then you will get a better deal and will cost you less than 10 lakhs...

super undi anta kada mona friend kuda antunde buy this ani... Kaka does this come under Bolero segment?

Nenu aithey innova konicha.

3-4 years back nenu india vellinappudu friend innova lo velthuntey major accident ayindi. Car ki 2lakhs ayindi repair. Maaku mathram okka drop blood kooda raledhu. Same day i decided to buy innova. 

35 minutes ago, Vaampire said:

Nenu aithey innova konicha.

3-4 years back nenu india vellinappudu friend innova lo velthuntey major accident ayindi. Car ki 2lakhs ayindi repair. Maaku mathram okka drop blood kooda raledhu. Same day i decided to buy innova. 

Innova is a great choice. But ippudu innova crysta chala expensive undi. Around 17 avvochu on road. 

My two cents : 

for people in India who travel too much to towns and villages , any car which has a good ground clearance will perfectly suit the need. This should be the first criteria. Once this criteria is filled, then look for everything else like price,maintenance,mileage,cost etc. 

if you go for brands like VW,Skoda,etc, dealer network is not so strong and regular maintenance might be an issue. If you are living with in 100KM of nearest dealer/service center, once every six months trip to dealer is no big deal. Most of the cars from this brand are sedans/hatchback and have relatively lower ground clearance. 

The success of cars like vitara brezza,eco sport,TUV,Creta etc is because they have high ground clearance , minimum of 180MM with the maintenance of regular sedan. With ground clearance but high, chances of car getting damaged,manoeutavikity, driving height etc comes handy..

• Upvote 1

We had a Scorpio till 2014 and my dad regularly drives with in the city and highway. Driving with in the city, traffic and all, I decided to sell away Scorpio and bought Ecosport. This time it was a Petrol manual shift. It costed me 3 lakhs less than the Diesel one and has the comfort of Scorpio, easy to drive around and play around yet has good ground clearance...

• Upvote 1

I have ford fusion diesel, sill running 2009 vehicle. 130K tirigindi and k around in villages. Ford safety is good, engine performance is good for the money from my experience. And also recently they are seriously working on reducing maintenance cost. For your budget, Ford Ecosport, Mahindra TUV300, XYLO, Tata Nexon, Brezza, Ertiga, Duster ostayi. Out of it based on my experience I would suggest Ford. Also, I do most of the maintenance like repairs myself either in US or in India. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, raikkonen said:

Innova is a great choice. But ippudu innova crysta chala expensive undi. Around 17 avvochu on road. 

Basic di 14 anukunta. Check it once.

Naaku aithey pickup & stability baaga nachindi

11 hours ago, Nandhi said:

I have ford fusion diesel, sill running 2009 vehicle. 130K tirigindi and k around in villages. Ford safety is good, engine performance is good for the money from my experience. And also recently they are seriously working on reducing maintenance cost. For your budget, Ford Ecosport, Mahindra TUV300, XYLO, Tata Nexon, Brezza, Ertiga, Duster ostayi. Out of it based on my experience I would suggest Ford. Also, I do most of the maintenance like repairs myself either in US or in India. 

Very nice post. Also kudos to working on your car. I am also trying to the same. I am learning basics now. So far oil change and filters :)

My thoughts on the list of cars.

Mahindras - TUV300's looks are not my cup of tea :). I like the XYLO but with Mahindra, I am worried about the safety.

Ertiga - I always liked the Ertiga. I think it a perfect match for my criteria sans safety. When push came to shove, I am not able to convince myself about going ahead and buying it. http://indianautosblog.com/2016/06/suzuki-ertiga-asean-ncap-crash-test-234015

Tata Nexon - The underdog here. It looks like a very good package and the styling is neat. But I have no idea about the safety and reliability of it. Also, Tata dealerships are notorious for bad customer service (don't know how they are doing recently) .

Duster - Dated engine and gearbox. Also, Renault's dealerships' coverage is not that good. 

11 hours ago, Vaampire said:

Basic di 14 anukunta. Check it once.

Naaku aithey pickup & stability baaga nachindi

Basic innova on road around 15 padochu. But will test drive it. 

12 hours ago, Android_Halwa said:

We had a Scorpio till 2014 and my dad regularly drives with in the city and highway. Driving with in the city, traffic and all, I decided to sell away Scorpio and bought Ecosport. This time it was a Petrol manual shift. It costed me 3 lakhs less than the Diesel one and has the comfort of Scorpio, easy to drive around and play around yet has good ground clearance...

Nice. Thanks for sharing your experience.

17 hours ago, raikkonen said:

Bagane tirugtharu. Ecosport looks to be the best bet. 

yes bro.

as someone said inkokati parking space. migatha vehicles la ekkuva space tisukodu sideways. vertical height untadi vehicle. so that's also a good thing!

All the best!!

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 8/22/2017 at 10:10 AM, raikkonen said:

Hi. I am planning to buy a car for my parents in India. My maximum budget is 13lakhs. I am looking to buy a petrol automatic. Safety is my biggest priority. The car can be focussed more on utility rather than features and luxury. We live in a town so parking is not a concern and good highway cruisability is important. I am considering the eco-sport(the updated one with the new engine and front fascia ) which is supposed to be launched this Diwali. Also looking at a mid range creta. But an update to the creta is coming soon. Any other thoughts/opinions will be appreciated.

em car konnav bro @raikkonen