Ramana Maharshi

rajesh550

[b][color=red][size=14pt]
Question : How can the terrible fear of death be overcome?[/size][/color][/b]

Ramana Maharshi : When does that fear seize you? Does it come when you do not see your body, say, in dreamless sleep? It haunts you only when you are fully `awake' and perceive the world, including your body. If you do not see these and remain your pure Self, as in dreamless sleep, no fear can touch you. If you trace this fear to the object, the loss of which gives rise to it, you will find that that object is not the body, but the mind which functions in it. Many a man would be only too glad to be rid of his diseased body and all the problems and inconvenience it creates for him if continued awareness were vouchsafed to him. It is the awareness, the consciousness, and not the body, he fears to lose. Men love existence because it is eternal awareness, which is their own Self. Why not then hold on to the pure awareness right now, while in the body, and be free from all fear?

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rajesh550

• krldr871

• manjunath455

• bhrami

[b][color=red][size=12pt]Question : How does one get rid of fear ?[/size][/color][/b]

Ramana Maharshi : What is fear ? It is only a thought. If there is anything besides the Self there is reason to fear. Who sees things separate from the Self ? First the ego arises and sees objects as... external. If the ego does not rise, the Self alone exists and there is nothing external. For anything external to oneself implies the existence of the seer within. Seeking it there will eliminate doubt and fear. Not only fear, all other thoughts centred round the ego will disappear along with it.

[b][color=red][size=12pt]Desirelessness[/size][/color][/b] is wisdom. The two are not different; they are the same. Desirelessness is refraining from driving the mind toward any object. Wisdom means the appearance of no object.

If one remains quiet without abandoning that understanding, then egoity—the individual sense of the form “I-am-the-body”—will be totally destroyed. And ultimately the final thought, the “I”-thought, will also be extinguished, like camphor that is burned by fire. The great sages and scriptures declare that this alone is [b][color=red][size=14pt]Realization.[/size][/color][/b]

[quote author=Hangover link=topic=83911.msg887362#msg887362 date=1279920508]
endi .. bujji pranav garu vedantam loki digaru?
[/quote]

eppudununchoo Manchi points anee okachota petti mana DB vallakii gift edham anukuntunaa..
Today is that dayy...

[quote author=Pranav link=topic=83911.msg887371#msg887371 date=1279920702]
eppudununchoo Manchi points anee okachota petti mana DB vallakii gift edham anukuntunaa..
Today is that dayy...
[/quote]
you rock you rock sHa_clap4 sHa_clap4

[b]Self itself is the world; Self itself is 'I'; Self itself is God; all is the Supreme Self[/b]
Wowww..idhi tooo muchh undi..
pranav racha thread..deeni meedha discussion kuda unte bavuntadi  you rock you rock you rock

[quote author=krldr871 link=topic=83911.msg887382#msg887382 date=1279921283]
[b]Self itself is the world; Self itself is 'I'; Self itself is God; all is the Supreme Self[/b]
Wowww..idhi tooo muchh undi..
pranav racha thread..deeni meedha discussion kuda unte bavuntadi  you rock you rock you rock
[/quote]

Leader yaa chedhamm enkoo thread esthaa disco kee..  Edhee complete gaa info kee ankithaam edham anukuntunaa..

[quote author=Pranav link=topic=83911.msg887393#msg887393 date=1279921492]
Leader yaa chedhamm enkoo thread esthaa disco kee..  Edhee complete gaa info kee ankithaam edham anukuntunaa..
[/quote]
sure baa  @gr33d @gr33d sHa_high5ing sHa_high5ing sHa_high5ing

[quote author=Pranav link=topic=83911.msg887276#msg887276 date=1279917901]
Ohh avunaa..  2 gud...  Howz the experience mama..?

Weekend kada,  pillalu koncham enlighten avutharu anee :)
[/quote]
As always it was good mama, We go there/Kind of follow(dad le) from almost 6 yrs :)  *=: *=: Vilu ayinapudu vellu India vellinapudu. I can help u with accomidation n stuff.

[quote author=Pranav link=topic=83911.msg887338#msg887338 date=1279919497]
[color=red][size=14pt][font=times new roman]The mind cannot seek the mind.[/font][/size][/color]

You ignore what is real and hold on to that which is unreal, then try to find what it is. You think you are the mind and, therefore, ask how it is to be controlled.
If the mind exists, it can be controlled, but it does not. Understand this by inquiry.
[/quote]
deeni meaning enti  sCo_hmmthink sCo_hmmthink

[quote author=bhrami link=topic=83911.msg887414#msg887414 date=1279921843]
As always it was good mama, We go there/Kind of follow(dad le) from almost 6 yrs :)  *=: *=: Vilu ayinapudu vellu India vellinapudu. I can help u with accomidation n stuff.
[/quote]

Ohh thanks..  Ee sari vellinappudu pakkaga veldham anee eppudoney decide aypoyaa..
Thanks for your Headsupp.. in accommodation help..  Will contact you then..!

[quote author=krldr871 link=topic=83911.msg887433#msg887433 date=1279922210]
deeni meaning enti  sCo_hmmthink sCo_hmmthink
[/quote]

look at the following links..

[quote author=Pranav link=topic=83911.msg887265#msg887265 date=1279917774]
Who am I ?
[url=http://www.davidgodman.org/rteach/whoami1.shtml]http://www.davidgodman.org/rteach/whoami1.shtml[/url]

[url=http://www.davidgodman.org/rteach/whoami2.shtml]http://www.davidgodman.org/rteach/whoami2.shtml[/url]
[/quote]

All he says is..  Nothing exists except Self  'I'.

[b][color=red][size=14pt]Reality [/size][/color][/b]lies beyond the mind. So long as the mind functions, there is duality. Once it is transcended, Reality shines forth