Frenchwoman arrested for 'obscene' nude video on Indian holy bridge

r2d2

This photo taken on October 2, 2019 shows people walking on the Lakshman Jhula footbridge over the Ganges river in Rishikesh. - A French woman has been arrested for making a video of herself naked on a holy bridge in the Indian city of Rishikesh, police said on August 29. The 27-year-old now faces charges under India's internet law with a maximum sentence of three years jail if found guilty. (Photo by Laurène Becquart / AFP) (Photo by LAURENE BECQUART/AFP via Getty Images) A 27-year-old Frenchwoman has been arrested for making a nude video of herself on a holy bridge over India's Ganges River. 

The woman, identified only as Marie-Helene, was apprehended on August 27 by local Indian police in the northern Indian state of Uttarakhand. 

Lakshman Jhula is a suspension bridge about five kilometers north of the city of Rishikesh. 
It is said that the Hindu deity Lakshmana crossed the Ganges on jute ropes at the point at which the bridge now stands. The river is sacred to Hinduism and flows for 1,680 miles (2,704 kilometers) through India and Bangladesh. 
Senior police officer R. K. Saklani told CNN that the accused filmed the material in order to promote her jewelry business. 
"She shot the video at Lakshman Jhula -- it is considered a holy bridge. She then did an obscene photoshoot at her hotel," said Saklani. "The photos she shot were nude and she posted them on Instagram." 
The police were alerted to the matter when some of the woman's Indian followers recognized the bridge in the photos and video and reported the incident. A local councilor also filed a police complaint.

“I chose to partially uncover on Lakshman Jhula because each time I crossed the bridge I felt I was being harassed… My Indian sisters and fellow female travelers surely have experienced the same. The main goal was to help oppressed women in the country to access education and to leave abusive marriages or situations, where there are no other options or help.”