Harshad mehta scam pv narsimha rao

TruthTruth

Deputy Business Editors Hardev S. Sanotra and Daksesh Parikh interviewed Harshad Mehta and his brother Ashwin Mehta at their Bombay apartment. Excerpts:

Q. When did you first come in contact with Sunil Mittal?
A.
 I called upon him for the first time in 1989 or 1990. We were doing research on companies from the investment point of view and Bharati Telecom looked promising. Later we met a number of times in Delhi and Bombay.

Q. When did Sunil Mittal suggest that you seek political contacts?
A.
 I think it was early 1991. Sunil and I met at the old Oberoi for lunch. Sunil suggested it was necessary to build up political contacts in Delhi to achieve prosperity. He said this could be arranged through his father who wielded a lot of influence.

Q. When did you meet Sunil Mittal's father?
A.
 I first met Satpal Mittalji at his Lodhi Estate bungalow in Delhi. Subsequently, I met him four or five times.

. When was the first meeting with a political leader fixed?
A.
 The first meeting we had with any politician was with Rajiv Gandhi. I think it was April 25. I remember this because it was about a month before Rajiv Gandhi's tragic death. It was the last day for the distribution of tickets for the 1991 Lok Sabha elections. Mittalji, Sunil Mittal, Ashwin and I went to 10, Janpath, Rajiv Gandhi's residence, in the afternoon, carrying a suitcase.

inteview_121012085638.jpg
"Our intention in giving money to politicians was not for any immediate gain. It was only a sort of insurance."

Ashwin Mehta: It was so embarrassing to be carrying a big suitcase with a crowd watching. We went in but could not meet Rajiv Gandhi. Vincent George (Rajiv's assistant) suggested we take the bag to Sitaram Kesari (the party treasurer). We took the bag back and it was given as donation to the party. Later in the day we went back to 10 Janpath but could meet Rajiv Gandhi only after 1.00 a.m. The four of us met him while standing at one corner in the longish room next to George's. Rajiv Gandhi apologised for having kept us waiting for so long. The meeting lasted barely two or three minutes. Satpal Mittalji introduced us as brokers from Bombay who had wanted to contribute a little to the party. The talk was mostly general

Q. How much money did you have in the bag?
A.
 I think I have said enough. We do not want to gain enemies for the rest of our lives 

There are indicators and even some police records which show that the prime minister was in South Block.
A.
 We shall see. Ultimately it is a question of credibility between Harshad Mehta and P. V. Narasimha Rao. Harshad Mehta, who wanted to give assets worth Rs 1,500 crore to square up the liability which is much less; who had a clear time of 45 days to leave the country when the scam broke out but had no intention of doing so. In contrast, we have the credibility of Narasimha Rao who was involved in the St Kitts affair and the Goldstar case, and now he has to face my allegations.

https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/cover-story/story/19930715-first-meeting-we-had-with-any-politician-was-with-rajiv-gandhi-says-harshad-mehta-812069-1993-07-15

I personally think he is the greatest PM for India ever. Andaru India ni develop chesam ani credit thisukuntaru, all the credit should go to him. 

He had minority govt, it was really hard to keep the govt running, people have taken advantage of him and scams chesaru. I dont think he is personally involved, but people close to him have taken money and spent, govt padipokunda undadaniki.

3 minutes ago, HugoStrange said:

I personally think he is the greatest PM for India ever. Andaru India ni develop chesam ani credit thisukuntaru, all the credit should go to him. 

He had minority govt, it was really hard to keep the govt running, people have taken advantage of him and scams chesaru. I dont think he is personally involved, but people close to him have taken money and spent, govt padipokunda undadaniki.

P v narasimha Rao ki major challenge minority government and same for vajpayee later too . Reforms bold ga implement chesaru and it supposed to happens during chandrasekhar regime ( minority government ) . MMS ki credit vachindhi in-between ( aadiki  30 years ga bhajana cheyadam saripoindhi , great economist etc antu )