40 Years Ago, NASA's Skylab Space Station Fell to Earth

bhaigan

Parts of Skylab, America’s first space station, come crashing down on Australia and into the Indian Ocean five years after the last manned Skylab mission ended. No one was injured.

Launched in 1973, Skylab was the world’s first successful space station. The first manned Skylab mission came two years after the Soviet Union launched Salyut 1, the world’s first space station, into orbit around the earth. However, unlike the ill-fated Salyut, which was plagued with problems, the American space station was a great success, safely housing three separate three-man crews for extended periods of time.

Originally the spent third stage of a Saturn 5 moon rocket, the cylindrical space station was 118 feet tall, weighed 77 tons, and carried the most varied assortment of experimental equipment ever assembled in a single spacecraft to that date. The crews of Skylab spent more than 700 hours observing the sun and brought home more than 175,000 solar pictures. They also provided important information about the biological effects of living in space for prolonged periods of time.

Five years after the last Skylab mission, the space station’s orbit began to deteriorate–earlier than was anticipated–because of unexpectedly high sunspot activity. On July 11, 1979, Skylab made a spectacular return to earth, breaking up in the atmosphere and showering burning debris over the Indian Ocean and Australia.

My grand mother used to tell me about this. Those days no tv channels or anything. only radio and eenadu news paper. edo planet vochi earth ni dheekottinattu vudara gottaru anta. inka bathakam ani decide ayi maa grandmother vallu full feast etc. ani enjoy sesukoni ready ga unnaru anta. news paper lo emi jaragaledu. ekkado samudram lo padindi ani sadivi hamayya anukunnaru anta. 

• Upvote 2

Yess aa tavatha aeppudu jaragala...

China vi 2 times already paddayi..

Russia USA are taking care that the debries should fall onto water... 

35 minutes ago, bhaigan said:

Parts of Skylab, America’s first space station, come crashing down on Australia and into the Indian Ocean five years after the last manned Skylab mission ended. No one was injured.

Launched in 1973, Skylab was the world’s first successful space station. The first manned Skylab mission came two years after the Soviet Union launched Salyut 1, the world’s first space station, into orbit around the earth. However, unlike the ill-fated Salyut, which was plagued with problems, the American space station was a great success, safely housing three separate three-man crews for extended periods of time.

Originally the spent third stage of a Saturn 5 moon rocket, the cylindrical space station was 118 feet tall, weighed 77 tons, and carried the most varied assortment of experimental equipment ever assembled in a single spacecraft to that date. The crews of Skylab spent more than 700 hours observing the sun and brought home more than 175,000 solar pictures. They also provided important information about the biological effects of living in space for prolonged periods of time.

Five years after the last Skylab mission, the space station’s orbit began to deteriorate–earlier than was anticipated–because of unexpectedly high sunspot activity. On July 11, 1979, Skylab made a spectacular return to earth, breaking up in the atmosphere and showering burning debris over the Indian Ocean and Australia.

48 minutes ago, paaparao said:

My grand mother used to tell me about this. Those days no tv channels or anything. only radio and eenadu news paper. edo planet vochi earth ni dheekottinattu vudara gottaru anta. inka bathakam ani decide ayi maa grandmother vallu full feast etc. ani enjoy sesukoni ready ga unnaru anta. news paper lo emi jaragaledu. ekkado samudram lo padindi ani sadivi hamayya anukunnaru anta. 

yes and it landed in Indian Ocean and Australia

43 minutes ago, paaparao said:

My parents used to tell the same story too

urlo kondari names kuda Sky lab ani pettaru anta aaroje puttina vallavi

9 minutes ago, Sputnik said:

Talasani Srinivas yadav tammuni peru  Skylab yadav

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Truth_Holds said:

CITI_c$y

23 minutes ago, Sputnik said:

Ragya nayakw koduku peru sky lab naik 

16 minutes ago, Truth_Holds said:

Lot of people born around that time were named skylab. I know many Skylab Reddy’s