I'm not stupid...

r2d2

08oOw3.gif

President Joe Biden called Vladimir Putin a 'murderous dictator and pure thug' in his St Patrick's Day speech on Thursday that started with the quip: 'I may be Irish but I am not stupid'. Biden ramped up his attacks on the Russian leader, a day after finally calling him a war criminal, in remarks that started with him going through his Irish heritage at the annual Friends of Ireland Luncheon. 'Father before I began, bless me, father I'm about to sin,' Biden cracked, making the sign of the cross as he addressed Rev. Thomas O'Connor while standing between Irish and American flags inside the wood paneled Rayburn Room in the Capitol. 'Well, I just want you to know, I may be Irish but I'm not stupid. I married Dominic Giacoppo's daughter,' he quipped, referencing the Sicilian name of Jill Biden's father, Donald Jacobs. He then turned to upping his rhetoric on Putin and said he is a 'murderous dictator, a pure thug who is waging an immoral war against the people of Ukraine'. His latest war of words are the most direct at the Russian leader in the 20 days since the start of the invasion. Biden then mentioned his phone call with Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday and that the world is in a 'genuine struggle between autocracies and democracies and whether or not democracies can be sustained.' 

• Confused 1