Coal Shortage: Is India Staring At Another Power Crisis?

JackSeal

Amidst soaring temperatures and rising power demand, India is likely to face another power crisis as several thermal plants are reeling with extreme shortage of coal stocks.

The Daily Coal Stock report, released by the Central Electricity Authority (CEA) on 11 April 2022, paints a grim picture of the coal stock with thermal power plants (TPPs) in the country. A total of 96 out of 173 TPPs have critical levels of coal stock — 76 of these plants are based on domestic coal, 11 plants are designed on imported coal whereas nine plants are currently not in operation.

As of now, a total of 50 out of 73 plants identified as critical have less than 10 per cent of stock, which can be used for power generation for less than 10 days.

30 minutes ago, JackSeal said:

Amidst soaring temperatures and rising power demand, India is likely to face another power crisis as several thermal plants are reeling with extreme shortage of coal stocks.

The Daily Coal Stock report, released by the Central Electricity Authority (CEA) on 11 April 2022, paints a grim picture of the coal stock with thermal power plants (TPPs) in the country. A total of 96 out of 173 TPPs have critical levels of coal stock — 76 of these plants are based on domestic coal, 11 plants are designed on imported coal whereas nine plants are currently not in operation.

As of now, a total of 50 out of 73 plants identified as critical have less than 10 per cent of stock, which can be used for power generation for less than 10 days.

We have to do our bit by installing solar.

1 hour ago, krishnaaa said:

We have to do our bit by installing solar.

Solar installation will be pain in the a$$ for utilities… it’s not like installing a panel and getting power … one cloud passing will messup power quality and voltage fluctuations… to manage these you need to install hundred thousand mwh battery banks. to understand this you need to be a electrical engineer…

oka extent varaku solar ok but beyond a limit even US utilities are not able to handle this … inka forget india

16 minutes ago, JackSeal said:

Solar installation will be pain in the a$$ for utilities… it’s not like installing a panel and getting power … one cloud passing will messup power quality and voltage fluctuations… to manage these you need to install hundred thousand mwh battery banks. to understand this you need to be a electrical engineer…

oka extent varaku solar ok but beyond a limit even US utilities are not able to handle this … inka forget india

I am talking about rooftop solar.

It's our responsibility towards the nation.

5 minutes ago, krishnaaa said:

India la roof top solar tho kuda problem oka 1/4th solve avochu , like utilising for common lightining purposes, basic electronic function etc. most houses roof top less than 300 sft space vuntadi and most roofs are built in such a way that installing solar over the roof tops is just not so efficient. 

To power a home, like 1500 sft 4 members per family with standard appliances, they need to have at least 300-400 sft open terrace and installation will come to about 3-4 lakhs with another lakh rupees every three years on battery maintenances and other issues. 

Feasibility was worse a decade back, it's getting better but will take another decade to come to a point where solar will be affordable. Right now, SOLAR is not really a dependable option.

40 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

India la roof top solar tho kuda problem oka 1/4th solve avochu , like utilising for common lightining purposes, basic electronic function etc. most houses roof top less than 300 sft space vuntadi and most roofs are built in such a way that installing solar over the roof tops is just not so efficient. 

To power a home, like 1500 sft 4 members per family with standard appliances, they need to have at least 300-400 sft open terrace and installation will come to about 3-4 lakhs with another lakh rupees every three years on battery maintenances and other issues. 

Feasibility was worse a decade back, it's getting better but will take another decade to come to a point where solar will be affordable. Right now, SOLAR is not really a dependable option.

Nope....2.25 lakhs including subsidy for 5 KW. You can even go for less than that.

No batteries needed.

Go for on grid.

You can put them on a structure and reuse that space. It will double up as sunshade.

Where there is will there is a way.

I got all these excuses and BS when I tried to install mine. Now I am happy.

Indians are very good at escaping responsibility and then blaming government for everything. 

51 minutes ago, krishnaaa said:

This applies to rooftop solar too … roof top solar unnantha matrana you won’t be disconnected from grid. 

2 hours ago, Android_Halwa said:

Maa Telangana safe..! 

Exo ni pichha anadam 

even tg lo kuda power cuts vunnayi konchem takkuva next month viswaroopam antunaru all over india wide 

47 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

Thanks to china which made these panels cheap and affordable. indian future only india chethulone vunte chippa ne migiledhi.

4 minutes ago, krishnaaa said:

Nope....2.25 lakhs including subsidy for 5 KW. You can even go for less than that.

No batteries needed.

Go for on grid.

You can put them on a structure and reuse that space. It will double up as sunshade.

Indians are very good at escaping responsibility and then blaming government for everything. 

That’s what I am saying … here and there few homes power distribution system can support … but widespread our existing infra cannot handle and this approach still in research phase.

No batteries needed aa ?

without battery support solar power is highly fluctuating and battery bank is needed to smoothen it… it’s much more than simple solar installation. 

img2.jpg

min pure technical terms with large amount of solar installations inertia of power grid will go down thus grid will collapse even for a small fault. 

6 minutes ago, manadonga said:

Exo ni pichha anadam 

even tg lo kuda power cuts vunnayi konchem takkuva next month viswaroopam antunaru all over india wide 

Koncham endhi alternative days lo maintenance ani cheppi villages lo power cuting during nights 

15 minutes ago, krishnaaa said:

No batteries needed.

Go for on grid.

This is the problem. 

For someone who pays 1000-2000 rs per month as electricity bills, you want them to spend so much money to install solar power, the feasibility equation goes wrong in such cases.

Escaping responsibility ledu emi ledu, feasibility equation inka not up to the scale. middle class batch ni edikelli 2.25 lakh teesukuni rammantav ? 

It takes time. A decade later, every third house will have solar roof top panel installed.