Apple's Director of Machine Learning Resigns Due to Return to Office Work

Anta Assamey

apple park at night 1

Apple's director of machine learning, Ian Goodfellow, has resigned from his role a little over four years after he joined the company after previously being one of Google's top AI employees, according to The Verge's Zoë Schiffer.

Goodfellow reportedly broke the news to staff in an email, saying his resignation is in part due to Apple's plan to return to in-person work, which required employees to work from the office at least one day per week by April 11, at least two days per week by May 2, and at least three days per week by May 23. "I believe strongly that more flexibility would have been the best policy for my team," Goodfellow said in the email.

Apple employees began returning to Apple Park last month, with the three-day in-office work policy being enacted on May 23. Some employees have been unhappy about the plan to return to in-person work. 

In a letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook during the summer, a group of employees said "Without the inclusivity that flexibility brings, many of us feel we have to choose between either a combination of our families, our well-being, and being empowered to do our best work, or being a part of Apple. This is a decision none of us take lightly, and a decision many would prefer not to have to make."

1 minute ago, Anta Assamey said:

apple park at night 1

Apple's director of machine learning, Ian Goodfellow, has resigned from his role a little over four years after he joined the company after previously being one of Google's top AI employees, according to The Verge's Zoë Schiffer.

Goodfellow reportedly broke the news to staff in an email, saying his resignation is in part due to Apple's plan to return to in-person work, which required employees to work from the office at least one day per week by April 11, at least two days per week by May 2, and at least three days per week by May 23. "I believe strongly that more flexibility would have been the best policy for my team," Goodfellow said in the email.

Apple employees began returning to Apple Park last month, with the three-day in-office work policy being enacted on May 23. Some employees have been unhappy about the plan to return to in-person work. 

In a letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook during the summer, a group of employees said "Without the inclusivity that flexibility brings, many of us feel we have to choose between either a combination of our families, our well-being, and being empowered to do our best work, or being a part of Apple. This is a decision none of us take lightly, and a decision many would prefer not to have to make."

Company policy aithe exception techuko extra ordinary category lo .. bongu lodi media lo sensation kosam ee sollu antha ..

vadiki edo best offer vundi 

• Upvote 2

Endo ee over action. Almost all the companies are giving remote options to 20% employees. Apply chesukovachu gaa. 

apple was more generous compared to google/microsoft. Apple started with 1 day a week where as google/msft directly started with 3 days a week.

8 minutes ago, Vaampire said:

Endo ee over action. Almost all the companies are giving remote options to 20% employees. Apply chesukovachu gaa. 

apple was more generous compared to google/microsoft. Apple started with 1 day a week where as google/msft directly started with 3 days a week.

I feel like people just want to take advantage of the Routine they got used to due to the Pandemic... 5gavml.gif

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Anta Assamey said:

I feel like people just want to take advantage of the Routine they got used to due to the Pandemic... 5gavml.gif

commute time waste. More productive.. ittanti reasons cheppina ardham undi. Covid risk antaru. Malli migitha panulu mathram no issues. Shoppings, trips anni regular.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Vaampire said:

commute time waste. More productive.. ittanti reasons cheppina ardham undi. Covid risk antaru. Malli migitha panulu mathram no issues. Shoppings, trips anni regular.

Agreed .... 5gavml.gif

Low level employees ki option istunnaru kani high level executives ki chala rojulnunchi 5 days a week ofc ki velthunnaru.. across many companies 

47 minutes ago, Vaampire said:

more productive aa.. mod gaallu.. available vuntaaru.. message kaani call kaani chestey response vundadu.. eppatiko malli response istaaru.. veellu eppudu istaara ani pattukuni koorchovaali.. meetings lo attentive ga kooda vundaru..

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Thokkalee said:

Low level employees ki option istunnaru kani high level executives ki chala rojulnunchi 5 days a week ofc ki velthunnaru.. across many companies 

+1

need to lead ani eppati nundo pattukocharu.. taggaraga 1yr avutundi.. :( 

10 minutes ago, MRI said:

more productive aa.. mod gaallu.. available vuntaaru.. message kaani call kaani chestey response vundadu.. eppatiko malli response istaaru.. veellu eppudu istaara ani pattukuni koorchovaali.. meetings lo attentive ga kooda vundaru..

No comments on that part. Nenu join avvadamey full remote join ayya last year. But now considering going to office 2 days a week

43 minutes ago, Thokkalee said:

Let me tell other side of the story. I have been working with one person for more than 6 months.he reports to me. 2 weeks back first time in person gaa kalisanu. I learned 10x about him in that one day compared to past 6 months. My opinion about him in lot of topics got changed from neutral to very positive 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Vaampire said:

Let me tell other side of the story. I have been working with one person for more than 6 months.he reports to me. 2 weeks back first time in person gaa kalisanu. I learned 10x about him in that one day compared to past 6 months. My opinion about him in lot of topics got changed from neutral to very positive 

True.. if you know the team in person, you have so many advantages.. you build a rapport with the team.. i am also working remotely and I don’t feel like I have good rapport with my team.. some of the team is in Europe and some of them are in Midwest… I am in Texas… 

• Upvote 1