Paytm T20I Trophy - India vs South Africa: Schedule

1st T20I

Date: June 9th, Thursday

Location: Arun Jaitley Stadium, Feroz Shah Kotla Grounds, New Delhi

2nd T20I

Date: June 12th, Sunday

3rd T20I

Date: June 14th, Tuesday

Location: Dr. Y. S Rajasekhara Reddy ACA-VDCA Cricket Stadium, Visakhapatnam.

4th T20I

Date: June 17th, Friday

5th T20I
Date: June 19th, Sunday

Injured Rahul and Kuldeep out of South Africa T20I series, Pant to lead India

Hardik Pandya, who recently led Gujarat Titans to the IPL title, will be the vice-captain

KL Rahul and Kuldeep Yadav have both been ruled out of the five-match T20I series against South Africa because of injuries. While Rahul, who was named captain of the side in the absence of Rohit Sharma, has picked up a right groin injury, Kuldeep was hit in his right hand while batting in the nets at Delhi's Feroz Shah Kotla, where the first game will be played on Thursday.

In Rahul's absence, Rishabh Pant, the designated vice-captain, will lead the side, and Hardik Pandya, who recently led debutants Gujarat Titans to the IPL 2022 title, will be the vice-captain.

The BCCI, while announcing the updates, confirmed that no replacements for the injured players had been asked for, and that both Rahul and Kuldeep would "report to the NCA [National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru] where the medical team will assess them further and decide on the future course of treatment".

Rahul was appointed captain after Rohit, India's regular all-format captain, was rested for the series. With Virat Kohli also rested, India will now be without their first-choice top three. Ruturaj Gaikwad, Ishan Kishan and Venkatesh Iyer are the main options for the opening slots, with Deepak Hooda and Shreyas Iyer the other top-order options.

The timing of the injury will be a cause for concern for Rahul as well as the team management, since it has come with the tour of England - which will start with the one-off Test - around the corner. Rahul is a part of the squad for that Test, which will be played from July 1 to 5 in Birmingham and is part of the World Test Championship. The Test is also part of the five-match Pataudi Trophy, which was cut short after the first four Tests last year because of a Covid-19 situation. Rahul was India's second-highest run-getter in those four Tests with 315 runs in eight innings, only behind Rohit's tally of 368.

Squad: Rishabh Pant (capt, wk), Hardik Pandya (vice-capt), Ruturaj Gaikwad, Ishan Kishan, Deepak Hooda, Shreyas Iyer, Dinesh Karthik, Venkatesh Iyer, Yuzvendra Chahal, Axar Patel, Ravi Bishnoi, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Harshal Patel, Avesh Khan, Arshdeep Singh, Umran Malik