San Francisco unveils "intervention cards" for when you get attacked on the train

CaptainMaverick

e8cd970e-78a6-4caf-9bc7-2a53d3c865d4-lar

OAKLAND, Calif. (TND) — Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) promoted cards enabling riders to disclose harassment Friday in an effort to limit disturbances on the public transportation system.

Passengers experiencing sexual harassment can distribute cards informing and requesting assistance from bystanders.

They state “someone is harassing me right now,” and list options for helping, such as “can you stand with me while this is happening?” and “if I ask, would you text BART Police ... use the BART Watch App, or contact the train operator for me?”

Bystanders who notice disturbances can also hand out cards to perceived victims to provide assistance. The cards read "it appears you are being harassed" and note help is available.

The Bystander Intervention Safety Cards initiative is part of the “Not One More Girl” campaign, which BART employed with community organizations to end “gender-based” violence on public transportation.

BART has struggled to recapture its ridership levels from before the pandemic, with Bay Area residents citing crime concerns in a May poll. Fifty-three percent of respondents claimed someone they knew was a victim on the system.

The transit system has also sought to ensure police are on trains more frequently despite San Francisco officials’ opposition to increased police involvement in combatting crime.

In December, San Francisco Supervisor Dean Preston argued in a documentary the San Francisco Police Department’s budget was “very bloated,” claiming the agency misallocated resources to the detriment of struggling neighborhoods.

All kinds of waste in the police department," Preston claimed. "I could cut $100 million out of the department."

Crime has affected Oakland, California businesses as well. In-N-Out Burger announced in January the closure of its only Oakland location due to purported victimization of workers and customers with armed robberies, car break-ins, property damage and theft.

“We feel the frequency and severity of the crimes being encountered by our customers and associates leave us no alternative,” Chief Operating Officer Denny Warnick told The National Desk.

Bay Area department stores also restricted access to clothing items earlier this year due to shoplifting concerns.

2 hours ago, CaptainMaverick said:

e8cd970e-78a6-4caf-9bc7-2a53d3c865d4-lar

OAKLAND, Calif. (TND) — Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) promoted cards enabling riders to disclose harassment Friday in an effort to limit disturbances on the public transportation system.

Passengers experiencing sexual harassment can distribute cards informing and requesting assistance from bystanders.

They state “someone is harassing me right now,” and list options for helping, such as “can you stand with me while this is happening?” and “if I ask, would you text BART Police ... use the BART Watch App, or contact the train operator for me?”

Bystanders who notice disturbances can also hand out cards to perceived victims to provide assistance. The cards read "it appears you are being harassed" and note help is available.

The Bystander Intervention Safety Cards initiative is part of the “Not One More Girl” campaign, which BART employed with community organizations to end “gender-based” violence on public transportation.

BART has struggled to recapture its ridership levels from before the pandemic, with Bay Area residents citing crime concerns in a May poll. Fifty-three percent of respondents claimed someone they knew was a victim on the system.

The transit system has also sought to ensure police are on trains more frequently despite San Francisco officials’ opposition to increased police involvement in combatting crime.

In December, San Francisco Supervisor Dean Preston argued in a documentary the San Francisco Police Department’s budget was “very bloated,” claiming the agency misallocated resources to the detriment of struggling neighborhoods.

All kinds of waste in the police department," Preston claimed. "I could cut $100 million out of the department."

Crime has affected Oakland, California businesses as well. In-N-Out Burger announced in January the closure of its only Oakland location due to purported victimization of workers and customers with armed robberies, car break-ins, property damage and theft.

“We feel the frequency and severity of the crimes being encountered by our customers and associates leave us no alternative,” Chief Operating Officer Denny Warnick told The National Desk.

Bay Area department stores also restricted access to clothing items earlier this year due to shoplifting concerns.

Cards fold cheskoni fooklo petko lanj@

oakland is ** beyond repair. 

Youtube lo oakland robberies ani type chesi enjoy cheyyandi . 

Oakland has co ordinated gang attacks on store and police wont respond. avoid oakland like plague 

5 hours ago, Joker23 said:

Oakland has co ordinated gang attacks on store and police wont respond. avoid oakland like plague 

Not now.. it was like that more than 10 years ago.. ppl don’t even stop for filling gas on the way in oakland

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Joker23 said:

Andhuke okaland airport name marushtaru anta ... San Francisco Bay ggaaaa... Nallalolla TT lu

6 hours ago, Joker23 said:

52 minutes ago, Thokkalee said:

Not now.. it was like that more than 10 years ago.. ppl don’t even stop for filling gas on the way in oakland

I go to Oakland zoo with kids every six months annalu, my friend works at marqueta he goes 3 days to work there are some streets where crime is high everyone knows ex Bronx  nyc ,  there are people who work at oakland , agree oakland is high crime city but not all areas

9 minutes ago, csrcsr said:

I go to Oakland zoo with kids every six months annalu, my friend works at marqueta he goes 3 days to work there are some streets where crime is high everyone knows ex Bronx  nyc ,  there are people who work at oakland , agree oakland is high crime city but not all areas

Oakland zoo, airport common vayya. Migitha places ki work kosam thappa evadu podu.

I remember 5 years back uber akkada office open chesthey okkallu kooda ready kaledhu anta podaniki. Ippudu undo ledho office

12 minutes ago, csrcsr said:

Of course zoo is safer than the actual city 😃

I am telling this from my experience living in the Bay Area 10 years ago.. 

2 minutes ago, Vaaaampire said:

Oakland zoo, airport common vayya. Migitha places ki work kosam thappa evadu podu.

I remember 5 years back uber akkada office open chesthey okkallu kooda ready kaledhu anta podaniki. Ippudu undo ledho office

Marqueta ki maa friend pothadu , gelukoni internal Gallis ki pothe problem, oakland anukunantha worst emi kaadu anna gangs robberies unayi but there are other people families living there for generations, unfortunate the city is getting bad name 

1 minute ago, Thokkalee said:

Of course zoo is safer than the actual city 😃

I am telling this from my experience living in the Bay Area 10 years ago.. 

Gas ki agochu anna emi kaadu 

2 minutes ago, csrcsr said:

Marqueta ki maa friend pothadu , gelukoni internal Gallis ki pothe problem, oakland anukunantha worst emi kaadu anna gangs robberies unayi but there are other people families living there for generations, unfortunate the city is getting bad name 

Newsome gaadu edo store ki pothey oakland lo aadi kalla mundey shop lifting ayindi anta.

not just oakland, sf is equally bad during night time

2 minutes ago, Thokkalee said:

But why take a chance? 

Anna e desham andaridi anna , repu for suppose mana kids ikade unte edo chaduvujunaru for example medicine anuko yiu have to work in every hospital treat everyone you cannot be selective , some times duty will be at oakland hospital night duty , entha kalispothe antha problems taggutayi.

Inka nannu dobbakandi please andaram bagundali andulo manam undali