Rajinikanth - Will He Or Won’t He ??

Anta Assamey

175013.JPG

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness”

Recall that famous iconic dialogue of Rajinikant from “Mutthu”, the 1995 Tamil blockbuster which when translated goes something like - “No one knows when and how I will enter. But I will enter at the right time”
For the past two decades, Rajini’s fans have, on several occasions, been subjected to this spectacle of dilemma of waiting for the so called “Right time” for their superstar to announce his entry on to the political stage. 
And for nearly twenty years, his fans have remained disappointed as these “indications” usually fizzle out faster than the storms that Rajinikanth whips up on screen with a swirl of his foot to take down the villains.

In one of the scenes in ‘Kabali”, Radhika Apte, playing Rajini’s wife utters a dialogue “Naan sethu poi dhan indha, nee enna vandhuu pakre varuku” (“I was dead until you came and saw me”) summing up the frenzy of the fans of Rajini one witnesses for his declaration of acting on political stage of Tamil Nadu. 

On 18 May, the superstar indeed came, but only to ask his fans to wait for the “war” (read elections) when he would galvanize them.

His entire address to the fans when put together carried the stamp of film dialogues that helped build his on-screen charisma, and left the fans to continue to be in the dilemma on his entry into politics- “Will He? Or Won’t He?” 

Despite his avoidance of making any direct revelations that he is ready for a role change from reel-star to play the full time politician and not casting any political ripples, his address to the fans were in line with his habit to deliver enigmatic dialogues about his future in politics. 

No doubt, his meeting with his fans grabbed the eye balls, while triggering debates whether his address to the fans was different this time and that they carried subtle but clear message that he would announce his entry into politics just close to the time of next elections, as he gained confidence to test the political waters given the complete shift in Tamil Nadu politics after the death of J. Jayalalitha.
The biggest criticism against Rajinikanth has been that he uses people’s expectations of his entry into politics to promote his films. The question of his political foray often crops up before a movie release and dies down later. 
But Rajinikanth's latest ambivalent statements on the possibility of his political entry has triggered a buzz in various circles, though this is not for the first time. 
Such a hysteria was witnessed even in 1996 when he openly defied Jayalalithaa, asking people not to vote for her.
However, what makes this time different is the larger political context prevailing in Tamil Nadu.
Following void left by the death of Jayalalitha and retirement of Karunanaidhi from active politics the Tamil politics have appeared to have been struck by a Tsunami of personality politics and state appeared to have turned into a theatre of political absurdity.  
With his superstar image of playing messiah on screen to rescue the people from the miseries, Rajini sees best opportunity to make his entry into politics. 
Also, given his age, he has very little time left to continue as a hero on screen. Politics, in that sense, could be his vocation in retirement.
But, will this be a good move for him?
Though his lakhs of fans support his entry, the merits needed to be a politician are drastically different from that of being an actor. 
And Rajinikanth is definitely aware of this which is perhaps why he has not taken the big step till date.
Tamil cinema has always had close links with politics, with matinee idols, the late MGR and J Jayalalithaa, besides script writer M Karunanidhi, having gone to rule the state. 
Rajini fans are eagerly waiting to see if their 'Thalaivar' (Leader) will do an encore like MGR.
But, there is a big question on his intellectual understanding of crucial political and social problems of Tamil Politics.His reiteration to his fans that he is “Pucca Tamilian” manifests that he is still suffering from the fear of his identity in Tamil politics. In a State dominated by Dravidian politics, Rajinikanth’s over-emphasis on religion and spirituality, both on and off the screen, has led to speculation over whether he might eventually take refuge in the BJP.Even if he floats his own party, it could turn out to merely be a milder version of the saffron outfit.

But having said the above, the question “Will Rajinikant enter politics?”, has become a most asked question after “Why did Kattappa kill Bahubali”.Well, the people had found the answer to the Kataapa trivia with the release of Bahubali-2, but, to get the answer to Rajini’s question one might wait for some more time.In the film Lingaa the first song has the super star flicking his long jacket in different parts of the planet earth and at one point, if the subtitles are to be believed, he sings, "Pal, don't lose control of your sense." 

Will Rajini lose his control of sense by plunging in politics….As a fan of his I would pray “Please. Thalaiva, don’t lose your sense”.

2 minutes ago, BulletBaskar said:

chiru ni chusi kuda atlanti tappu chestadu ani nenu anukoku Balayya-21.gif

But i think he will enter and BJP will pull him.... May be post elections pettukuntaru BJP vaallu link up... nyijas.gif?1404631749

41 minutes ago, Anta Assamey said:

But i think he will enter and BJP will pull him.... May be post elections pettukuntaru BJP vaallu link up... 

link kaavalantey pettukuntaademo, but he won't join BJP. TN BJP is most likely the worst party in the history of parties.

open ga anti TN panulu chesey neech kaminey kutthey gaallu. in almost every issue.

27 minutes ago, sid_22 said:

Rajini Tatha BJP lo join ayyi President ayyipotam better........ pretty relaxed life.

if he does that, then there's nothing wrong in targeting him as a north indian dog. it'll be justified.

Just now, Android_Halwa said:

Thailava party petti BJP ki support chesthe @lazybugger pranam iga kinda mida aitadi...

naakem kaadhu. vaadey gelavadu.

unless he runs on a Tamil nationalist platform, he won't get anywhere.

BJP is a disgusting party, both at the center, and especially in TN.

1 hour ago, Anta Assamey said:

But i think he will enter and BJP will pull him.... May be post elections pettukuntaru BJP vaallu link up... nyijas.gif?1404631749

Bjp ki antha scene ledu south lo ;) they always ignore south india, which prompted regional parties to have gud grip in their respective states

2 hours ago, perugu_vada said:

Bjp ki antha scene ledu south lo ;) they always ignore south india, which prompted regional parties to have gud grip in their respective states

May that is what they wanted to change ... nyijas.gif?1404631749

4 hours ago, perugu_vada said:

Why should I work for you when you don't support me???? Its politics man........ same can be said like why TDP AIADMK TRS always ignore North India.