What's the correct answer to this equation?

tacobell fan

1 minute ago, chittimallu_14 said:

division before multiplication... brackets before both D and M, bracket and multiply ani kadu ikkada, you need to solve the things within the bracket first ani 

8/2(2x2) = 16

8/{2(2*2)}= 1

paina renditiki answer differs, that is the confusion.

A common technique for remembering the order of operations is the abbreviation (or, more properly, the "acronym") "PEMDAS", which is turned into the mnemonic phrase "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally". This phrase stands for, and helps one remember the order of, "Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication and Division, and Addition and Subtraction". This listing tells you the ranks of the operations: Parentheses outrank exponents, which outrank multiplication and division (but multiplication and division are at the same rank), and multiplication and division outrank addition and subtraction (which are together on the bottom rank). In other words, the precedence is:

Parentheses (simplify inside 'em)
Exponents
Multiplication and Division (from left to right)
Addition and Subtraction (from left to right)

5 minutes ago, Spartan said:

8/2(2x2) = 16

8/{2(2*2)}= 1

paina renditiki answer differs, that is the confusion.

yes but extra pair of brackets levu kabatti answer will be 16 here... bold is correct.. except its 2+2 not 2x2 but no big deal as both result the same

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, chittimallu_14 said:

yes but extra pair of brackets levu kabatti answer will be 16 here... bold is correct.. except its 2+2 not 2x2 but no big deal as both results the same

Na manasu lo unnavi typing meru. Opika takva for me to explain in detail @3$%

7 minutes ago, chittimallu_14 said:

You use an extra pair of brackets... like I said in one of the replies in the previous page... anyways give it a rest, you are thinking way too much, that too in a wrong direction

You can’t judge mine as wrong. Antha clear ga word problem ichanu... It you can’t understand, I give it a rest too... 

Just now, MagaMaharaju said:

Na manasu lo unnavi typing meru. Opika takva for me to explain in detail @3$%

its a good topic to discuss... bayata ese aunty bagundi, ammai choosindi desperate threads kanna these are some what fun to discuss ani nenu kooda type chesthunna... 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Puding said:

reopen the thread brahmi1.gif

EAv9QjeUYAAPfRa?format=jpg&name=small

28 minutes ago, reality said:

So, how do you write an equation for something divided by something times something?

For example, I came up with this word problem:

There is a total of 8 gallons of gas available. 4 bikers need to use that equally to travel from point A to B and back to point A, by spending all of it. How many gallons each biker would spend to travel one-way?

4 biker 2 way——> 8 gallon

1 biker 1 way——> 1x1x8/4x2 = 1

But, unfortunately, calculators are not designed/configured to decode intricate equations. They just give you results for straight forward (assumptions) equations, which need not always be treated as truth. 

4 minutes ago, reality said:

You can’t judge mine as wrong. Antha clear ga word problem ichanu... It you can’t understand, I give it a rest too... 

nuvu ichina example lo.. one gallon/bike*way is the answer and you get it by 8gallons/(4bikes*2ways)

For every one bike way, you will need one gallon.