What's the correct answer to this equation?

tacobell fan

1 hour ago, reality said:

So, how do you write an equation for something divided by something times something?

For example, I came up with this word problem:

There is a total of 8 gallons of gas available. 4 bikers need to use that equally to travel from point A to B and back to point A, by spending all of it. How many gallons each biker would spend to travel one-way?

4 biker 2 way——> 8 gallon

1 biker 1 way——> 1x1x8/4x2 = 1

But, unfortunately, calculators are not designed/configured to decode intricate equations. They just give you results for straight forward (assumptions) equations, which need not always be treated as truth.

Ilanti questions ke 'order of' in BoDMAS pettaru man to avoid the confusion. 'of' (another form of multiplication) has precendence over division ...it helps forcing the people come up fomralized version of problems. If people don't agree for standards for these kind of informal questions, solution would be always ambiguous and would be many. BODMAS is vastly agreed by number of Mathematicians.

1 minute ago, Anta Assamey said:

One is usng PEMDAS (doesnt ignore left to right in its short form) and other is using BODMAS (where its ignoring left to right) ... Anduke its different

but edi correct annadi Q :lol:

33 minutes ago, chittimallu_14 said:

dude are you blind... I used a pair of brackets in my equation above... 

In your problem you want to know how many gallons per each bikeway... one bike way means one way for every bike...

so its gallons/(bikes* number of ways)... 8/(4*2) = 1

Why extra pair of brackets for denominator only. Why not for Numerator? Which rule book tells to do that? Looks like people are just making up formulas (adding brackets) to just satisfy what google/most of calculators are returning.

Just now, chittimallu_14 said:

• In the United States, the acronym PEMDAS is common. It stands for Parentheses, Exponents, Multiplication/Division, Addition/Subtraction. PEMDAS is often expanded to the mnemonic "Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally".[5]
  • Canada and New Zealand use BEDMAS, standing for Brackets, Exponents, Division/Multiplication, Addition/Subtraction.
  • Most common in the UK, India, Bangladesh and Australia[11] and some other English-speaking countries are BODMAS meaning Brackets, Order, Division/Multiplication, Addition/Subtraction. Nigeria and some other West African countries also use BODMAS. Similarly in the UK, BIDMAS is used, standing for Brackets, Indices, Division/Multiplication, Addition/Subtraction.
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, chittimallu_14 said:

Adhi cheppatam enduku kastam ante.... UK system (which india is part) uses BODMAS and countries with USA uses PEMDAS .....

Bottom Line --- Maths anta Maya 

9 minutes ago, reality said:

Why extra pair of brackets for denominator only. Why not for Numerator? Which rule book tells to do that? Looks like people are just making up formulas (adding brackets) to just satisfy what google/most of calculators are returning.

26 minutes ago, chittimallu_14 said:

one more example.. if you take speed, it is distance/time or metres/second

acceleration is change of speed wrt time again... so its metres/(second*second) .. meaning the second time you divide the equation you simply multiply the denominator with the new divisor

now apply the same in your example and you will get the right answer of one... only problem is you were missing a pair of brackets, which is exactly what I replied to you about in my first reply to you in this thread

If you want to add brackets to numerator then it will be this... (8/4)/2... which is gallons per bikes per ways..... what I said was gallons per bike ways....

So you either write it as

1) Your way... (Gallons/Bikes)/Ways = (8/4)/2 = 1   this is Gallons per bikes per way

2) My way ... Gallons/(Bikes *Ways) = 8/(4*2) = 1  this is gallons per bike ways

Only thing is you got your equation wrong to get a wrong answer 

And, NO, I didnt find anything above in google, just what I remember from my head.

Just now, chittimallu_14 said:

If you want to add brackets to numerator then it will be this... (8/4)/2... which is gallons per bikes per ways..... what I said was gallons per bike ways....

So you either write it as

1) Your way... (Gallons/Bikes)/Ways = (8/4)/2 = 1   this is Gallons per bikes per way

2) My way ... Gallons/Bikes *Ways = 8/(4*2) = 1  this is gallons per bike ways

Only thing is you got your equation wrong to get a wrong answer 

Numerator bracket pettadam ee problem ki apply cheyamanle... 

It was a general question... extra bracket requirement denom ke endhuku, why is it not needed for Num ani?

Writing a plain equation like the above ones by TS are different from the example of a real life which @reality gave... 

One can just blindly write 8/4x2 and ask what the answer is. However if you put that in real life issues with words like bikes, gallons and ways then the equation needs to be re written based on the actual problem with brackets, you can use brackets in either numerator or denominator like reality demanded but the usage of D or M or something else might change... Based on your example here you either write it as (8/4)/2 or 8/(4*2). I guess that is my understanding atleast 

Anyways im out of here, it was fun discussing these with you all. 

10 minutes ago, reality said:

Numerator bracket pettadam ee problem ki apply cheyamanle... 

It was a general question... extra bracket requirement denom ke endhuku, why is it not needed for Num ani?

yes you can use bracket in numerator but then you need to write the division and multiplication accordingly based on the problem... think for a while you will understand the difference... Basically you are interpreting the equation wrong by using brackets for the numerator and then multiplying (instead of dividing) by the next number.

Use my acceleration analogy for better understandin, if acceleration equation is written like the way you interpreted... it will become (distance/time)*time which is wrong

so it should be

1) your way with brackets on numerator... (distance/time)/time

2) my way with brackets on denominator .... distance/(time*time)

Use brackets either upstairs or downstairs but change the multiplication or division accordingly for the case

2 minutes ago, chittimallu_14 said:

Anyways im out of here, it was fun discussing these with you all.

But why? I don't see anything offensive/defensive, it's just a perspective and education background of a person and there are multiple ways to look at it. 

2 minutes ago, tacobell fan said:

But why? I don't see anything offensive/defensive, it's just a perspective and education background of a person and there are multiple ways to look at it. 

offend aina ani endhuku anukunnav... lol

discussion lo juice aipoindi inka nothing more to add from my end ani antunna

4 minutes ago, chittimallu_14 said:

offend aina ani endhuku anukunnav... lol

discussion lo juice aipoindi inka nothing more to add from my end ani antunna

The way you sounded doesn't fall in-line with out of juice, hence my assumption. Thanks for clarifying.