investing in India vs US

chantigaduUS

On 6/7/2020 at 9:14 PM, user789 said:

How do you plan to get money from India - U-S In future ? Let's say its 2-3 Cr...Heard Many ppl face challenges in doing so...

Moreover, every yr $-Rs conversion is going up...so it looks like big disadvantage when you do Rs to $

Yes, I heard same thing, it is somewhat painful to bring the money back ani..some detailed documentation chupinchalani 

On 6/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, JambaKrantu said:

Unlesss you plan on returning to India and living there, please don't invest there.. All your hard earned money will end up somewhere on the other side of the globe that you never really see or enjoy. Your parents will not stay young forever and at somepoint they can't manage your properties. Managing real estate in India once your parents get old is not an easy job. Trusting relatives, siblings and cousins is foolish. I have seen own siblings cheat NRIs. 

This is the general trend I observed:-

1. First 5 to 7 years in US. Save as much as possible and send to India. Usually they buy an apartment or home for them or their parents during this period. Parents are still young so they are actively guiding you.

2. Next 5 to 7 years get married, use some of the savings as downpayment and buy a home here in the US. Have kids. Start putting some money in 401k or stocks but not much only like 5%. Expenses increase after this phase, you don't save much compared to when you were single. Spouse starts working in majority cases increasing savings. In this phase you start buying plots in India. You buy some 1 to 2c worth of plots depending on how much you can save. Some people buy more also. Parents are not that young but still active enough to guide you.

3. Next 5 to 7 years. Kids start growing up and parents are getting old. You get GC and now you are in two thoughts as you start getting concerned about your parent's health and how you are going to manage the properties without them. 

4. Next 5 to 7 years. You parents are too old now with health issues. They can't actively go out and do anything for you. Your kids are in their teens now and now you realize that they can't survive in India anymore and you can never go back to India because of your kids. Now you completely stop investing in India. Start feeling bad about your situation in the US as most of the money you made is now invested in India and you never enjoyed it. You don't have as much savings here and you don't live in a bigger home or you haven't travelled much. You start worrying about your kids college expenses and your retirement and start all over again..

5. Next 10 years, you try to sell your plots or houses in India but you realize that it is very hard to sell and that you didn't make much because of the rupee value and the taxes you have to pay before you can repatriate the funds back to US.. some lands you can't sell because of wrong papers or double registration. You finally end up bringing only a part of the money you invested and end up losing.. you compare your returns to how much you would have made had you invested that money in rental homes or stock market in the US and feel foolish.. You don't have much money to retire and realize that you have to keep working till 65

aptly said. my cousin faced some challenges in selling properties in India when he invested few years ago. What he said to me is stuck deep in my mind. he said "Keep Money where you are. If you go back to India take money to India with you, if you stay back in US keep your money here in US"  I have not invested anything in India, but thinking now as planning to move back in 3-4 years so thinking what happens if I change my mind in 3-4 years ani.

On 6/7/2020 at 11:08 PM, JambaKrantu said:

Entanukunte anta but next year ee time ki retire aipodaamani fix ayya. Have own house in India and two completely paid off rental homes that will pay me 5k in rental income..

so you plan to move back to India or u already live there now? Rental House US lona vundi?

On 6/7/2020 at 9:46 PM, hyderabadgreat said:

paisal leni vallu ela plan cheyali bhayya?

actual ga alochistey... paisal lekapovadam kuda oka manchi optio ye..as long as comfortable life vuntey. paisaly vunna daggaranuchi.... danni ekkada invest chesi peddaga cheyali..paisal verey daggara invest chestey  avi vunnayo levo vastayo ravo ani bayam. 

14 minutes ago, chantigaduUS said:

actual ga alochistey... paisal lekapovadam kuda oka manchi optio ye..as long as comfortable life vuntey. paisaly vunna daggaranuchi.... danni ekkada invest chesi peddaga cheyali..paisal verey daggara invest chestey  avi vunnayo levo vastayo ravo ani bayam. 

chaalu le bro, paisalu vunodu eppudu itane cheptadu. investment antha kashtam ga vunte avasaram vunantho vunchukoni migatadi donate cheseyochu ga inka ey bayam vundadu

28 minutes ago, vachesa said:

chaalu le bro, paisalu vunodu eppudu itane cheptadu. investment antha kashtam ga vunte avasaram vunantho vunchukoni migatadi donate cheseyochu ga inka ey bayam vundadu

eah ..agree.. avasaram vunnathaa antey define cheyyatam kastamemo.. enni kotlu vunna inka avasaram anipistundemo unless ur filthy rich like bezos or ambani ,  vallaki money chusi chusi  i think it became  just a number to them... nenedho samudha istunna paina babuni

On 6/8/2020 at 12:00 PM, argadorn said:

uncle welcome back ... 

Thank you bro, I remember seeing your id in 2012-2013 also. It's been a while now. Appatlo I was 27, now I am 35, I guess I am an uncle now.. 

On 6/8/2020 at 1:55 AM, vachesa said:

4th and above- I don't know what others at this stage are doing but I am planning to risk and invest in a startup or do something on my own. No plans on saving for kids 

Startup ante how bro, can you directly invest in a start up in the US?

I beleive its better to invest in india if you are on H1 as you never gonna get green card in your life time..

But key is to earn before 35 itself as you cant save more after that. If you plan carefully buying good properties and commercial rental properties, you can retire by 35 itself. Some of my seniors did so. 

2 hours ago, JohnSnow said:

I beleive its better to invest in india if you are on H1 as you never gonna get green card in your life time..

But key is to earn before 35 itself as you cant save more after that. If you plan carefully buying good properties and commercial rental properties, you can retire by 35 itself. Some of my seniors did so. 

Yes, as long as one has clear mind where he is going to go and settle he will do fine. ata itu kakunda vunteney dobbedhi

18 hours ago, chantigaduUS said:

so you plan to move back to India or u already live there now? Rental House US lona vundi?

Naa rentals US lone unnay. I will hire a company that will take care of maintenance calls when I am out of the country. They charge 1500 per year per home. Visitor visa meed nenu yearly once vasta, not for the homes but I want to come and spend some time in US with friends and family. Next year mid ki ellipota back. I know a relative in my family who is doing the exact same since 2014. Rental returns are much better in US than India. Oka townhome already pay off chesea. Second di trying my level best to payoff by next year. 2 projects, stocks, Java training and support working 18 hours a day to pay it off and earn my freedom. 

1 hour ago, JambaKrantu said:

Naa rentals US lone unnay. I will hire a company that will take care of maintenance calls when I am out of the country. They charge 1500 per year per home. Visitor visa meed nenu yearly once vasta, not for the homes but I want to come and spend some time in US with friends and family. Next year mid ki ellipota back. I know a relative in my family who is doing the exact same since 2014. Rental returns are much better in US than India. Oka townhome already pay off chesea. Second di trying my level best to payoff by next year. 2 projects, stocks, Java training and support working 18 hours a day to pay it off and earn my freedom. 

Wow, super @JambaKrantu. Next year which month you decided??