we can no longer win- Mercedes Benz

macha

FSD, realistically is far far away. Atleast 10 years away IMO.

Features that avoid collision can make a difference for some manufacturers. 

FSD is currently costing 10K. I am not really sure how many are willing to spend that money for a feature that is not completely available at this time and we don't know how long owners intend to keep their cars.

3 minutes ago, AndhraneedSCS said:

FSD is currently costing 10K. I am not really sure how many are willing to spend that money for a feature that is not completely available at this time and we don't know how long owners intend to keep their cars.

tesla owners are like a cult

9 minutes ago, AndhraneedSCS said:

FSD is transferable to new cars...Musk clarified in earning call .. not 10 years may be 4-6 years and that is due to lack of all NHTAS clearance... not technological gap 

8 minutes ago, macha said:

Tesla released its Beta FSD last Wednesday....

nekosam

I think u asked about taxi service and i told about waymo..fsd wont be here anytime soon. Govt approvals ravali

4 minutes ago, macha said:

FSD is transferable to new cars...Musk clarified in earning call .. not 10 years may be 4-6 years and that is due to lack of all NHTAS clearance... not technological gap 

He said he will think about it. He did not clarify that. 

Martin Viecha

Okay. Thank you very much. The third question from retail is, would FSD be able to be transferred to our next vehicle or pay a transfer fee? It would add a broad -- it would add to a brand loyalty. In the same way, gaming companies and cellphone companies keep you in their ecosystem by letting new transfer purchases to upgraded hardware?

Elon Musk

Yes. We'll give it some thought.

1 minute ago, macha said:

tesla tech is not superior. We can talk about their tech vs waymo. Which is way superior to teslas. 

Their advantage is the data collected from every tesla and learning from it.  But what we dont know publicly is waymo is doing same.

5 minutes ago, AndhraneedSCS said:

He said he will think about it. He did not clarify that. 

Martin Viecha

Okay. Thank you very much. The third question from retail is, would FSD be able to be transferred to our next vehicle or pay a transfer fee? It would add a broad -- it would add to a brand loyalty. In the same way, gaming companies and cellphone companies keep you in their ecosystem by letting new transfer purchases to upgraded hardware?

Elon Musk

Yes. We'll give it some thought.

ah ok may be I miss heard...

2 minutes ago, siru said:

tesla tech is not superior. We can talk about their tech vs waymo. Which is way superior to teslas. 

Their advantage is the data collected from every tesla and learning from it.  But what we dont know publicly is waymo is doing same.

I agree waymo tech is superior but not cost effective... if you have to make a waymo taxi ready it cost 12-17k more than what tesla is doing... to integrate LIDAR system into a car its expensive and not scalable for now at least...

waymo is also collecting data but at very small restricted places and resources while Tesla is doing for its entire fleet... 50-70million milles vs 2.5-3 billion miles....

I agree waymo tech is superior but not cost effective... if you have to make a waymo taxi ready it cost 12-17k more than what tesla is doing... to integrate LIDAR system into a car its expensive and not scalable for now at least...

waymo is also collecting data but at very small restricted places and resources while Tesla is doing for its entire fleet... 50-70million milles vs 2.5-3 billion miles....

yes Lidar at its present state is too big and costly but very effective than camera system that tesla uses. But there are huge improvements coming in lidar sensors as we speak. Smaller and cheaper lidars are now in prototype stage. As of now tesla is superior but Musk is proudly anti  Lidar and if he is too egoistic to accept lidar, tesla will be doomed in next 10 years. I think he is smart enough to switch to lidar but then waymo would have far earlier start.

1 minute ago, siru said:

yes Lidar at its present state is too big and costly but very effective than camera system that tesla uses. But there are huge improvements coming in lidar sensors as we speak. Smaller and cheaper lidars are now in prototype stage. As of now tesla is superior but Musk is proudly anti  Lidar and if he is too egoistic to accept lidar, tesla will be doomed in next 10 years. I think he is smart enough to switch to lidar but then waymo would have far earlier start.

may be he is proud of the solution what they achieved ....if his team find much cheaper way to integrate into tesla they will adapt...something better than LIDAR...

1 hour ago, macha said:

Amidst the release of Tesla’s limited Full Self-Driving beta and the rollout of Waymo’s truly driverless ride-sharing service in Phoenix, Arizona, Mercedes-Benz has announced that it is throwing in the towel. Speaking with local media, a Mercedes-Benz spokesman noted that the company will no longer be competing in a race that it would lose. “We don’t compete in any race that we can no longer win,” the spokesman said.

benz realized faster... hope others realize too rather wasting money..

Benz is Dem Party 

may be he is proud of the solution what they achieved ....if his team find much cheaper way to integrate into tesla they will adapt...something better than LIDAR...

ippudu v6 v8 ani matlakuntam..future lo lidar vs cameras ani argue cheskuntaru  car fans :D 

future tech of cars is gonna be awesome