How many of you can even imagine Financial Freedom

Kootami

I started reading few years  ago and after few days of reading I realized understanding the whole investment strategy is important but you should not try to over optimize and micro manager and HAVE TO start somewhere. 

Over a period of time I did several things which I am happy with - build a rainy day fund (do not invest this money), increased 401k contributions to max out even when employer did not match, set a number for household budget and try to live in that amount (i do not try to set individual budgets like food clothes etc.), whenever salary increases or get other income make sure majority of that goes into an investment. 

Definition of investment could mean different things to different people but choosing the correct instruments is key. IMO buying a 1C property in India and getting 30K rent is not an investment. Period!!! 

After a bit of reading and talking to few people this is what I am comfortable with and believe will help reach my goals

1. Maximize 401K - invest in a 40/40/20 model - 20 is bonds for security.

2. Max Backdoor Roth IRA (if your income is less than 90K PA - do this first before 401k)

3. Take life insurance - at least 1M  

4. Invest a small portion of your net income (aka after tax) in the market. I just started using Betterment

5. Only after you do all the above, start investing in individual stocks.

6. Invest in real estate that gets rent to almost meet your commitments (mortgage, tax, insurance, maintenance, vacancy etc.)

Ala cheppukuntu pote chala untayi. Make a list and start working towards each. 

Above are things I believe are essential for my FI. Your list can be different.

Talk to fee only investment advisors. They charge you for consultation and help you with a path. They do not sell any products with fees. 

Get an investor policy statement and stick to your plan. 

I mentioned so many things which you may not be familiar with. If so, do not get intimidated. Just try to understand more and more thats all. 

Good luck!

• Upvote 2

Contracting lo 401 K IRA and Roth IRA how to do. any idea

As in contracting employer doesnt add to 401k

4 minutes ago, phatposts said:

I started reading few years  ago and after few days of reading I realized understanding the whole investment strategy is important but you should not try to over optimize and micro manager and HAVE TO start somewhere. 

Over a period of time I did several things which I am happy with - build a rainy day fund (do not invest this money), increased 401k contributions to max out even when employer did not match, set a number for household budget and try to live in that amount (i do not try to set individual budgets like food clothes etc.), whenever salary increases or get other income make sure majority of that goes into an investment. 

Definition of investment could mean different things to different people but choosing the correct instruments is key. IMO buying a 1C property in India and getting 30K rent is not an investment. Period!!! 

After a bit of reading and talking to few people this is what I am comfortable with and believe will help reach my goals

2. Max Backdoor Roth IRA (if your income is less than 90K PA - do this first before 401k)

4. Invest a small portion of your net income (aka after tax) in the market. I just started using Betterment

6. Invest in real estate that gets rent to almost meet your commitments (mortgage, tax, insurance, maintenance, vacancy etc.)

Talk to fee only investment advisors. They charge you for consultation and help you with a path. They do not sell any products with fees. 

I mentioned so many things which you may not be familiar with. If so, do not get intimidated. Just try to understand more and more thats all. 

Good luck!

4 minutes ago, phatposts said:

Good luck!

1C property gurinchi spot on @3$% . I have been Doing all this from last year, Thanks Dave Ramsey . But H1b contracting lo 401k antey employer istada ?