Anyone using nas.to save their photos instead of cloud

kevinUsa

• kevinUsa changed the title to Anyone using nas.to save their photos instead of cloud

Synology NAS DS918 ikkada .. all digital sampada so far .. phone backups, laptop backups all 24x7 access.

You can share user folders with your friends/family too via apps and ftp links. I am enjoying this freedom from stupid google drives, dropboxes etc. Worth investment bro. go for it !

if you able to afford it Synology would be the best. if you are more DIY type you get away with Pi and a bunch of drives.

You can a poor man's version of Synology NAS with HDD's and a Rasberry pi with Open media Vault.
https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/server/configuration/raspberry-pi-nas/ - there are many other tutorials as well. 

I got the drives and but yet to setup my NAS. used the Pi-4 I brought for Pi-hole and Retro pi. Need to get a new Pi for OMV and NAS setup.

5 hours ago, neethy said:

Synology NAS DS918 ikkada .. all digital sampada so far .. phone backups, laptop backups all 24x7 access.

You can share user folders with your friends/family too via apps and ftp links. I am enjoying this freedom from stupid google drives, dropboxes etc. Worth investment bro. go for it !

entha padindi bro ne setup motham ? did your DS918 come with drives ? or you had to purchase separately. How much is the total usable NAS Storage after Raid setup ? 

10 minutes ago, soodhilodaaram said:

how can i save in your NAS if you don't give me access maan

I want to move away from. Cloud so thinking

12 hours ago, LFC_YNWA said:

entha padindi bro ne setup motham ? did your DS918 come with drives ? or you had to purchase separately. How much is the total usable NAS Storage after Raid setup ? 

NAS drives wont come with HDDs, also these hard disks are not normal ones we use. You need to buy NAS HDD like barracuda or red, little expensive but they are designed to run 24x7 non-stop for years ! If you check in reddit forums, some folks did not turn off these NAS drives for 7 years.

yeah costly ee padutundi bro - but i thought its worth it. i had problems with some hdds gone bad, could not recover data etc. so now all life's worth data 8TB dakaa undi in NAS. Its accessible from internet too, india travel ainappudu kuda use chesanu to pull some files. so its good investment, i am happy.

start with a 2 bay NAS and use it initially - you can always upgrade in future. the HDDs can be swapped.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, neethy said:

NAS drives wont come with HDDs, also these hard disks are not normal ones we use. You need to buy NAS HDD like barracuda or red, little expensive but they are designed to run 24x7 non-stop for years ! If you check in reddit forums, some folks did not turn off these NAS drives for 7 years.

yeah costly ee padutundi bro - but i thought its worth it. i had problems with some hdds gone bad, could not recover data etc. so now all life's worth data 8TB dakaa undi in NAS. Its accessible from internet too, india travel ainappudu kuda use chesanu to pull some files. so its good investment, i am happy.

start with a 2 bay NAS and use it initially - you can always upgrade in future. the HDDs can be swapped.

oka clean list with link veyyi bro time unnnnappudu things to buy for this set up

I use google photos, I have about 120GB of photos in there, all for free so far, I think starting this summer, google is saying photos count towards your google 15GB quota for new photos. I am thinking about the options I have, I can do a hard disk or an NAS but will miss premium features like people recognition, people name search, movie/animation making etc. continue avdam google toh ante have to pay $2 monthly, that easily adds up to a lot as time passes. meeru em decide cheskuntaru privacy more important than those features aa? I am not able to decide.

PS: I know privacy is more important than any feature, but can we trust google with our photos staying private?

15 hours ago, halwaraaj said:

I use google photos, I have about 120GB of photos in there, all for free so far, I think starting this summer, google is saying photos count towards your google 15GB quota for new photos. I am thinking about the options I have, I can do a hard disk or an NAS but will miss premium features like people recognition, people name search, movie/animation making etc. continue avdam google toh ante have to pay $2 monthly, that easily adds up to a lot as time passes. meeru em decide cheskuntaru privacy more important than those features aa? I am not able to decide.

PS: I know privacy is more important than any feature, but can we trust google with our photos staying private?

Almost all of us are working in corporate structures, we all know that anything that is FREE comes with a baggage of risk. Even if they charge min now, as you said it could go up risking your pics showing up in who knows what searches ?

Those features are not a big deal, most of NAS applications have similar apps to classify files, pics, videos audio etc.

But they all have some learning curve, it took lot of time and experimentation for me to learn and manage all those. It was fun though .. we enjoy those things right ?