iddaru(1997)

kalaa_pipaasi

11 minutes ago, kalaa_pipaasi said:

an epic from Maniratnam. The Dialogue, the BGM, Editing and the Taking. To this day, Iruvar stands tall when it comes to narratives. Iruvar talks about the lives of MGR, Jayalalitha and Karunanidhi

Prakashraj played the character of Karunanidhi and was lauded by Karunanidhi himself. Prakash raj met Karunanidhi years later, when he asked him about his role, "Almost there" are the words said by karunanindhi.

Mohanlal brought back the MGR that we did not see. Such is his acting. Many say that MGR is mysterious. Mohanlal played this role with aplomb. When he was expelled from the party at 1:58:50, he goes in to his room with a dull face and comes back only to address his followers telling that this is his happiest day in his life.

Aishwarya rai could not have asked for more as she played the role of Jayalalitha so beautifully. As per the grapevine, it was said that Jayalalitha is the spitting image of the first wife of MGR and hence MGR fell in love with Jayalalitha. shot at 1:30:00 the words, the cut and the bgm makes it poetic. did they really fall in love like this??

Each and every dialogue looks like the writer is on dope when he has written it. The intro scene of Mohanlal and Prakashraj is one such scene at 6:28.  "Biddala paalakai bichamethu desham lo.."

Another one at 29:30 talks about bitter realities of life "theesukunna baaki theerchalenapudu mee nanani appulollu cheppu tho kottinpudu kallara choosava..." what a fiery and intense writing it is.ila cheppukuntu pothe masthu unnai.

BGM is another interesting part of this movie. Rehman mostly used old drums, humming followed by chorus instead of using the latest musical instruments to set the tone in most of the scenes, to take us to the days when MGR and Karunanindhi were in their prime. The scene from 46.47 minutes shows the skill and commonsense of Rehman to put that bgm. I don't think that intensity could be met by any instrument.

This movie is not a movie without the editing being tight. it's like at one moment it is poetic and the very next moment it is fiery.

Telugu movie/music/bgm quality worst undi...I saw the movie in Tamil in prime superb quality and bgm...i agree with your comments on the movie..

• Thanks 1

Now imagine Ponniyin Selvan under Maniratnam.

the introduction of Hero in book itself is goosebumps inducing.. after almost 20% of the story is done.

One sad thing is, key scene Mani cannot avoid in the movie is this..

baahubali-2_640x480_41493111407.jpg

because this is how the hero becomes known Ponniyin Selvan (the child that is the darling of the river kaveri - because the river came in the form of a woman to save the child from drowning in the flood)

perfect mass historical masala movie coming up.

2 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

the introduction of Hero in book itself is goosebumps inducing.. after almost 20% of the story is done.

because this is how the hero becomes known Ponniyin Selvan (the child that is the darling of the river kaveri - because the river came in the form of a woman to save the child from drowning in the flood)

Yeah it would be terrific.But do maniratnam still have it in him ??.I feel it died a long time back. Aa stamina vadilo ippudu ledhu anipisthundi

Just now, kalaa_pipaasi said:

Yeah it would be terrific.But do maniratnam still have it in him ??.I feel it died a long time back. Aa stamina vadilo ippudu ledhu anipisthundi

His recent movies sucked because he ran out of stories to tell. Out of desperation he picked a complicated moralistic novel and made a sh1t movie 'Kadal'.

Ponniyin Selvan is different. It is written in simple language (even I can read it), and every chapter has something happening to move the story forward.

He was always a mediocre director who can elevate a scene with his stunning visuals. I think Ponniyin Selvan is the perfect movie for him. Its as vast as Lord of Rings. They'll have to leave out a lot of interesting bits. If Maniratnam can figure out which parts to leave out, the movie will be great.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

Aaa baby crossing river image made my mind cringe.Especially after Rajamouli used it.by the way amazon lo oka English book for this subject Choosa. Konukkovali ika

4 minutes ago, kalaa_pipaasi said:

Aaa baby crossing river image made my mind cringe.Especially after Rajamouli used it.by the way amazon lo oka English book for this subject Choosa. Konukkovali ika

In ponniyin selvan, it is the future king Arulmozhi varman who falls into the river when the family is on a joyous boat ride. 

a mysterious woman appears out of nowhere and holds up the child like that. and disappears before they can thank her. They all think it was the river Kaveri (also called Ponni) that came in the form of a woman to save their child. And they start calling the child Ponniyin Selvan (darling of Ponni).

Kalki, the guy who wrote this book, had this illustration when for this chapter. 

but the woman is not a myth. She's an important character in the story. revealed much later.

5 minutes ago, kalaa_pipaasi said:

free translations unnay naa deggara. kastanga undhi sadavataaniki aney, nenu Tamil dhi saduvu thunna.

1 minute ago, Raven_Rayes said:

In ponniyin selvan, it is the future king Arulmozhi varman who falls into the river when the family is on a joyous boat ride. 

a mysterious woman appears out of nowhere and holds up the child like that. and disappears before they can thank her. They all think it was the river Kaveri (also called Ponni) that came in the form of a woman to save their child. And they start calling the child Ponniyin Selvan (darling of Ponni).

but the woman is not a myth. She's an important character in the story. revealed much later.

Sounds Intresting.credits to the writer.

3 minutes ago, kalaa_pipaasi said:

Sounds Intresting.credits to the writer.

my fav part of the book so far is the introduction of the hero. Until then, we just read about him from other's mouth.

His introduction will easily be one of the grandest entries in cinema. hint: it happens with an elephant. but without any pyrotechnics.

There's another scene where he just whispers into an elephant and the elephant starts running at jet speed (this scene is hard to recreate without graphics ofcourse).

Just now, Raven_Rayes said:

my fav part of the book so far is the introduction of the hero. Until then, we just read about him from other's mouth.

His introduction will easily be one of the grandest entries in cinema. hint: it happens with an elephant. but without any pyrotechnics.

There's another scene where he just whispers into an elephant and the elephant starts running at jet speed (this scene is hard to recreate without graphics ofcourse).

it would be a treat to see this on a big screen if executed properly

2 minutes ago, kalaa_pipaasi said:

it would be a treat to see this on a big screen if executed properly

Yeah.. why he makes the elephant run is interesting.

before doing that, he has a talk with the girl who is sitting on the elephant (whos deeply in love with him). 

anyway the movie is made in two parts.. He should have done 3 parts. The story is thick and deep.

Lot of people are saying Jayam Ravi is not the right choice for ArulMozhi varman.. but I think he's fine.

because the real hero of the movie is Vandiya Thevan.. and that is played by Karthi.