Midsommar movie disco.. vacheyandamma..

Raven_Rayes

48 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

There's one scene in the movie which utterly captivated me.

the part where Dani finds her boyfriend fornicating with a commune girl and it triggers deeply buried sadness in her, and the commune girls join her in her overbearing expression of sorrow.

Other than this, I found the movie too long, and overindulgent. The shocking scenes weren't that shocking to me. None of the characters were likeable, or even had an arc (except Dani, who the story revolves around). but that may be what the director was going for.

There's a similar movie (not in theme, but purely with using weird communes as plot device) called The Endless. Its much better than this, since its thematically straight forward, although narratively complex, and actually has some thrilling moments.

Midsommar is the kind of movie I want to like, but somehow I couldn't. Says a lot about how much I know about myself. which is also one of the themes of this movie.

Not sure why you are so focused on the theme. Not all movies are about story or themes. And none of the characters were meant to have an arc. It is not your regular hollywood film to have a meaningful real life kind of direction. Shocking scenes ante, not for the obvious ones, but certain practices the tribe does, how it seems utterly normal to them, how they are able to rationalize such stuff alantivi baga captivate chesaru. One on hand you have normal people unable to comprehend whats going on, on the other hand you other set of peaceful characters doing this Kaand. Sound mixing and visuals had me in. That utterly captivating scene is such because of wailing... the crying just not crying but the effects sound brought in could leave that impact. There are many scenes which were tripping, like Dani's reaction to mushrooms the first time, that may queen dance etc. We sort of experience what is Dani experiencing, rather than watching it like an audience. 

19 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

This one is neither horror, nor gore. To me, it seemed flat.

all characters (except Dani, because its her story) merely pawns of the story with zero initiative, except that one guy who was obsessed with swedish women. None of them congregate even once to discuss their next move after witnessing a horror ritual. They don't do anything together, and simply get picked one by one quite easily.

that said, the only thread that made some sense is Christian stealing Josh's idea to write a thesis on that commune, and what happens next. Even none of the commune characters made any attempt to be charming or interesting to their visitors. Pelle's inane excuse after the first horror ritual is that 'sorrrry, I shouldve warned you about this'. lol.

It wasn't repulsive to me. It felt like bad writing, or perhaps it may be the director's style, in which case, I think the director's style is more visual, than trying to tell an interesting story.

I did watch Hereditary. But I forgot if I liked it or not. I don't think I hated it. because I would remember if I did.

You need  to become more accepting and indulgent to understand why some characters were written in a certain way.  Also, knowing you  from the past, if you didnt watch this movie in one go, it wont have the same tripping effect as it did on others. 

1 hour ago, Ellen said:

They all died. That is what they said, they sacrifice outsiders, this year they had to sacrifice 9/10 (dont remmbr) of them. so 5 valla tribe nundi, 4 ee guests andarni except the mayqueen

yaa..

very last scene lo...may queen also smiles..that mean she also...converted...? (or she lost mind..)

graphics was really good...flowers on her crown also...kind of smiling/animating..etc

11 minutes ago, Amy99 said:

Enduku edusthunnaru vallu? Enduku le chepaku..nenu chudanu. 

she sees her bf having s3x with another girl through the keyhole, and it triggers trauma inside her, that her bf reluctantly shared after her parents and sister recently committed suicide at once.

And also she's super conscious about her being a little too needy with her bf.

there's a similar scene where she cries with her bf at the start, and the bf is there for her, but not in a way that the commune girls are. They join in on her wailing.

its a let out of her emotion, that she bottled so far to keep her relation going.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1