what is the best book to introduce hinduism for a teenager (born and raised in america)

hunkyfunky2

2 hours ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

We can only tell so many stories.... They are book lovers, so I thought introducing good books is good idea.

@Raven_Rayes your comment shows your ignorance and zero lack of understanding about Hinduism or buddism. Yes, India is full of Hindus who don't know what it stands for. It doesn't mean everyone is like that

So the Hindus who don't know hinduism stands for should be taught some standardized version of what hinduism is, ante na? 

May be it's not me who doesn't know what hinduism is. 

2 hours ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

We can only tell so many stories.... They are book lovers, so I thought introducing good books is good idea.

@Raven_Rayes your comment shows your ignorance and zero lack of understanding about Hinduism or buddism. Yes, India is full of Hindus who don't know what it stands for. It doesn't mean everyone is like that

Your final rejoinder for 'hindu haters to stay away' is just a reminder of how silly you actually are, inspite of all your pretensions of being above the fray. 

There are no Hinduism haters in this db. Not even telugodura hates hinduism. If you think that there are hindu haters in this db, it is most likely because you are a muslim hater. And it's kinda sad that you are.

If you can find any books from Ramakrishna mission related to the topic in online order them.many books contains only few pages available in all languages. Moreover, they’re easy to carry& read. Apart from that books from gita press also very good. My uncle used to gift them when we visits his place. Those are like 20-30 pages ones on various topics ranging from Relationship with siblings according ramayana & mahabharatha, primary duties of human being, meditation, practical vedanta, personality development, spirituality etc. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

Asking for my niece - 

Please suggest book that I can give as a gift - it should give unbiased intro to hinduism. I think asking her to read ramayana/ mahabharata / bhagvad gita is not the right idea. What you think? 

<hinduism hates stay away>

@dasari4kntr 

I would say better to gift a book on humanity than religion bhayya...religious things automatic ga intlo vaalla valla occheysthayi...

just my 2 cents though...

by the way I am a hindu too and will die a hindu...%$#$

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Shameless said:

I would say better to gift a book on humanity than religion bhayya...religious things automatic ga intlo vaalla valla occheysthayi...

just my 2 cents though...

by the way I am a hindu too and will die a hindu...%$#$

This is for a school project also ... That's what started the whole conversation

2 hours ago, Raven_Rayes said:

Your final rejoinder for 'hindu haters to stay away' is just a reminder of how silly you actually are, inspite of all your pretensions of being above the fray. 

There are no Hinduism haters in this db. Not even telugodura hates hinduism. If you think that there are hindu haters in this db, it is most likely because you are a muslim hater. And it's kinda sad that you are.

Well, I didn't want this type of discuss in this thread....

If some one searches this thread later, they can have nice list of books to refer to. 

BTW, as a true Hindu which is the only religion to embrace and respect all religions ( including atheists ) I'll never be a Muslim hater. I don't want to miss awesome biryani from my close friend once in a while 😄

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

Asking for my niece - 

Please suggest book that I can give as a gift - it should give unbiased intro to hinduism. I think asking her to read ramayana/ mahabharata / bhagvad gita is not the right idea. What you think?

Also needed for a school project....

@dasari4kntr 

Bhagavad-gita As It Is - Kindle edition by Swami Prabhupāda, A. C. Bhaktivedanta. Religion & Spirituality Kindle eBooks @ Amazon.com.

not better than this one to start

• Upvote 1

Asking for my niece - 

@dasari4kntr 

Never Never refer to wikipedia, most of left pseudo liberals edit it to project negative angles.

Hawaii islands has a great hindu temple, if possible plan a visit with family. They publish great books for children.

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/view/introduction-to-the-monastery.

Its in Kuwaii island. Beautiful scenery and landscape for visit also.

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/readlearn/books

Very genuine and made for NRI kids.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Asking for my niece - 

@dasari4kntr 

If he/she want to live happily in the global arena and be a better citizen introduce books related to inclusive growth, philosophy, humanity, service

One cannot learn about hinduism by reading books, you can only learn by practice 

All religion books are based on total assumptions, kids definitely asks questions, if you are confident to clarify those then introduce.

Apart from self satisfaction to parents religious education doesn’t help.

11 hours ago, dasari4kntr said:

there is difference between actual Hinduism and current day Hinduism(politically motivated)…let him know the actual Hindu philosophy (eastern philosophy)

Let him know…following Hinduism means…not spitting venom on other religions…and never ever suggest vedas related books ( but upanishdas are must recommended)

book suggestions…below..

విశ్వదర్శనం భారతీయ చింతన - నండూరి రాంమోహన్‌రావు

A search in secret India - Paul brunton

వివేక చూడామణి - ఆది శంకరాచార్య

Ramana Maharishi books

jiddu krishnamoorthy books

Buddha/Jain books as well..to understand non Vedic philosophy…

Yes one can get enlighten with Upanishads

23 minutes ago, JackSeal said:

If he/she want to live happily in the global arena and be a better citizen introduce books related to inclusive growth, philosophy, humanity, service

One cannot learn about hinduism by reading books, you can only learn by practice 

All religion books are based on total assumptions, kids definitely asks questions, if you are confident to clarify those then introduce.

Apart from self satisfaction to parents religious education doesn’t help.

religious education help to build a soul and identify, I am speaking for Santhana Dharma, this is very important for the hindu kids not to soul harvested by peacefuls and lovesfuls

if you are not a hindu, how can you explain how to understand hindu