My personal experience with this year stock market

Lorry_Driver

57 minutes ago, siva604 said:

Blue chip stocks had a good run this year. Could you please post your stock picks?

I was greedy and invested in a biotech stock called AYTU and lost $45,000 [Realized loss] and another biotech stock OPGN [ Negative $35000, not realized yet]. So if you choose odd stocks the chances of growth are less. 

80K over all loss aa? etta thattukuntunnav baaa Meeko Dandam Saami

1 hour ago, Vaampire said:

I have bag full of amzn. I somehow feel amazon has very little room to grow.

apple, fb, goog have more upside in my opinion. Amd nvda may run for another year before setling down

Short far outta money call options for amzn/google as long as you hold not much margin needed for it..

5 hours ago, Lorry_Driver said:

TL;DR: Don't go for individual stock picking. Just stick with ETFs.

So this year I followed the market very closely, read financial blogs/reddit and played with my IRA account which had around 100K (roll over from previous employer).

Kept 20% in cash to take advantage of any dips, rest all in individual stocks. There are some very good performing stocks like AAPL and TSLA. There are also duds like FVRR and ROKU.

So today I checked my YTD gain, it is just 9% 😭

Instead of spending time in market research, buying/selling, if I had just put all the money in any of these ETFs (or a mix of them), my gains would have been at least 30%.

VTI: 27%
QQQ: 30%
SPY: 30%
TQQQ: 98%

My cousin who is 15 yrs elder than me always suggests to go with ETFs (80% of the portfolio) and put the rest in stocks like AAPL/MSFT/AMZN/GOOG. He is dead against TSLA though 🤷‍♂️. I always followed his suggestions in investing, personal finance, home buying etc but this year went for individual stock picking and failed.

So planning to re-balance my portfolio and stick with 80% ETFs (just SPY+QQQ) and 20% equally in AAPL/MSFT/AMZN/GOOG.

Please share your thoughts and experience.

1 hour ago, jalsa01 said:

Invest remaining 20% in etf's when there is a dip but not in stocks... unless its for short term to catch boom like Tesla.. 

I feel ur cousin is correct abt Tesla feels its a bubble gg to blast...

mottham gaa soosthe mana DB lo kaani...market talk gaani andharu tesla stock is a bubble about to burst ane antunru...

kaani some analysts have price targets of 1400-1800 for next year and 3K for 2025...rendu theories match ayithalvu...

1000 nunchi 1400-1800 ante 40%-80% gains ...nijam gaa perigthe anipisthundhi....sethulu gula gula pedthunnayi..

koncham detailed gaa septhe jarra bhadram gaa unta

Just now, jalsa01 said:
P/E ratio 347.32 and last 2  Yrs growth 

etla perigindhi baa antha ghanam intha short period laaa...naakithe endhuku perigindho...evadu konnado anthe setu...ardham kaale...

1 minute ago, nokia123 said:

mottham gaa soosthe mana DB lo kaani...market talk gaani andharu tesla stock is a bubble about to burst ane antunru...

kaani some analysts have price targets of 1400-1800 for next year and 3K for 2025...rendu theories match ayithalvu...

1000 nunchi 1400-1800 ante 40%-80% gains ...nijam gaa perigthe anipisthundhi....sethulu gula gula pedthunnayi..

koncham detailed gaa septhe jarra bhadram gaa unta

eppudu too late vayya 5-600 tym was the last chance...  May lo correct iyyinattu ite tattukuntava? aa risk teskogalanu ante give a try..  I may be wrong too

3 minutes ago, nokia123 said:

etla perigindhi baa antha ghanam intha short period laaa...naakithe endhuku perigindho...evadu konnado anthe setu...ardham kaale...

ade kodutundi.. Funds anni baaga pump chesi undochu.. 

1 hour ago, siva604 said:

Blue chip stocks had a good run this year. Could you please post your stock picks?

I was greedy and invested in a biotech stock called AYTU and lost $45,000 [Realized loss] and another biotech stock OPGN [ Negative $35000, not realized yet]. So if you choose odd stocks the chances of growth are less. 

AAPL, AMZN, TSLA, SNOW, TWTR, LULU, PYPL, FUBO, FVRR, ROKU, DOCU

2 hours ago, pichallah said:

You can go 100% on ETF’s. Why do you want to allocate 20% to individual stocks? 

Invest directly in stocks only if you know what to buy, how much to buy and an exit plan. 

To take advantage of any big dips (only mega cap stocks). On a second thought going 100% ETF seems a better idea. If there is a big dip I can buy with cash if available or even margin.