Work in Startup with good salary and glassdoor reviews or established company with good job security

kiri_kiri

54 minutes ago, kiri_kiri said:

Hi DB peddalu, Need somehelp.

Recently got an offer from Cali based startup (100-200 in strength). H1 transfer Approved  for three years.

I am currently working in a large retail company . I have 7 plus total experience and i am single.

Anyways, I have to decide if i have to give 2 week notice to my current employer by tomm or stick with the same job. Please let me with your inputs.

Pros in startup :

Great pay. 33% > current.

Little bit of stock options included in TC too.

Great learning and problem solving opportunities.

Remote first company. I can go to India and work aswell

Manager was cool from what i spoke so far. Glassdoor reviews are superb. All positive.

Much Senior role as compared to my current role.

Drawbacks:

Job security. Can get fired any time .Had bad experience with a startup  earlier. 

Have to lose some freedom and might work extra hours.

Pros in current role:

work is good and learning is great.

FTE since last 1 yr. Know the system better.

already Asked my current manager for hike (somewhere middle ground istanu anaru)+ promotion. agreed to do in 2nd half of year.

Good job security.

Drawbacks

1) There is some inflated roles in some teams and deflated in our team

I saw ppl with 3-4 yrs exp became senior level engg, But it isn't the case in my team. I am currently still at mid level. 

2) Just that i feel like i am falling a bit short to where i am supposed to be for my experience. Hurting my confidence a bit and it is impacting my work.

start up

iga fire antava, already 7 years exp undi, easy ga 1 month lopu job kodthav and before than that. 

enjoy the new environment 

• Upvote 1

Consider the following 

1. What was the motive behind searching for another job? If that motive is being catered by your new offer than that's +1 for the new offer 

2. Is the new company pre-IPO ? If so, then you might make good money out of your stock options when they go public 

3. Looks like you already have experience with startups. WLB is definitely worse in startups compared to well established big name. If you are not going to get married anytime soon then WLB might not be as much of a concern and the new offer will give you an option to earn/save more

4. Will you get to work on more newer technologies in the new company ? If so that might be a booster for your profile to seek next job. 

5. Also, having a remote option is valuable (not sure about your stance) . If that is something that excites you , don't take it for granted and it would be +1 for the new offer 

6. Since you are away from promotion for atleast 2.5 years in your current company and that seems to be degrading your morale, that should be a big reason for you to consider the new role 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, naranjaX said:

Consider the following 

1. What was the motive behind searching for another job? If that motive is being catered by your new offer than that's +1 for the new offer 

2. Is the new company pre-IPO ? If so, then you might make good money out of your stock options when they go public 

3. Looks like you already have experience with startups. WLB is definitely worse in startups compared to well established big name. If you are not going to get married anytime soon then WLB might not be as much of a concern and the new offer will give you an option to earn/save more

4. Will you get to work on more newer technologies in the new company ? If so that might be a booster for your profile to seek next job. 

5. Also, having a rote option is valuable (not sure about your stance) . If that is something that excites you , don't take it for granted and it would be +1 for the new offer 

6. Since you are away from promotion for atleast 2.5 years in your current company and that seems to be degrading your morale, that should be a big reason for you to consider the new role 

Thanks bro..Appreciate your insights really!

• Like 1

Go for the startup. As someone already pointed out, you stand a chance to earn big through stocks if its pre-ipo. Since you're single and well experienced, this is not a huge risk as you can easily get a job if in a worst case scenario of getting fired. That ability to work from India is also a good add on. Salary hike too, inka work life balance antava, ipud kakapothe inkepudu, once family vachaka konchem cool job loki shift avvachu, antha varaku you have a chance to earn big in that startup with little added risk.

• 4 months later...
On 1/10/2022 at 7:14 PM, kiri_kiri said:

Hi DB peddalu, Need somehelp.

Recently got an offer from Cali based startup (100-200 in strength). H1 transfer Approved  for three years.

I am currently working in a large retail company . I have 7 plus total experience and i am single.

Anyways, I have to decide if i have to give 2 week notice to my current employer by tomm or stick with the same job. Please let me with your inputs.

Pros in startup :

Great pay. 33% > current.

Little bit of stock options included in TC too.

Great learning and problem solving opportunities.

Remote first company. I can go to India and work aswell

Manager was cool from what i spoke so far. Glassdoor reviews are superb. All positive.

Much Senior role as compared to my current role.

Drawbacks:

Job security. Can get fired any time .Had bad experience with a startup  earlier. 

Have to lose some freedom and might work extra hours.

Pros in current role:

work is good and learning is great.

FTE since last 1 yr. Know the system better.

already Asked my current manager for hike (somewhere middle ground istanu anaru)+ promotion. agreed to do in 6 months.

Good job security.

Drawbacks

1) There is some inflated roles in some teams and deflated in our team

I saw ppl with 3-4 yrs exp became senior level engg, But it isn't the case in my team. I am currently still at mid level. 

2) Just that i feel like i am falling a bit short to where i am supposed to be for my experience. Hurting my confidence a bit and it is impacting my work.

ok

On 1/10/2022 at 8:33 PM, naranjaX said:

Consider the following 

5. Also, having a remote option is valuable (not sure about your stance) . If that is something that excites you , don't take it for granted and it would be +1 for the new offer 

Thank you @Pitta