Work in Startup with good salary and glassdoor reviews or established company with good job security

kiri_kiri

On 1/10/2022 at 4:14 PM, kiri_kiri said:

Hi DB peddalu, Need somehelp.

Recently got an offer from Cali based startup (100-200 in strength). H1 transfer Approved  for three years.

I am currently working in a large retail company . I have 7 plus total experience and i am single.

Anyways, I have to decide if i have to give 2 week notice to my current employer by tomm or stick with the same job. Please let me with your inputs.

Pros in startup :

Great pay. 33% > current.

Little bit of stock options included in TC too.

Great learning and problem solving opportunities.

Remote first company. I can go to India and work aswell

Manager was cool from what i spoke so far. Glassdoor reviews are superb. All positive.

Much Senior role as compared to my current role.

Drawbacks:

Job security. Can get fired any time .Had bad experience with a startup  earlier. 

Have to lose some freedom and might work extra hours.

Pros in current role:

work is good and learning is great.

FTE since last 1 yr. Know the system better.

already Asked my current manager for hike (somewhere middle ground istanu anaru)+ promotion. agreed to do in 6 months.

Good job security.

Drawbacks

1) There is some inflated roles in some teams and deflated in our team

I saw ppl with 3-4 yrs exp became senior level engg, But it isn't the case in my team. I am currently still at mid level. 

2) Just that i feel like i am falling a bit short to where i am supposed to be for my experience. Hurting my confidence a bit and it is impacting my work.

Pros n cons nuvve seppinav ga..u can decide no

37 minutes ago, Sarvapindi said:

+111. mana 90k batch ade answer istar 😀

Vaari neku 2 jobs nenu oke oka job tho kottukosthunna. Emina untey jara cheppe. 

On 1/10/2022 at 7:14 PM, kiri_kiri said:

Hi DB peddalu, Need somehelp.

Recently got an offer from Cali based startup (100-200 in strength). H1 transfer Approved  for three years.

I am currently working in a large retail company . I have 7 plus total experience and i am single.

Anyways, I have to decide if i have to give 2 week notice to my current employer by tomm or stick with the same job. Please let me with your inputs.

Pros in startup :

Great pay. 33% > current.

Little bit of stock options included in TC too.

Great learning and problem solving opportunities.

Remote first company. I can go to India and work aswell

Manager was cool from what i spoke so far. Glassdoor reviews are superb. All positive.

Much Senior role as compared to my current role.

Drawbacks:

Job security. Can get fired any time .Had bad experience with a startup  earlier. 

Have to lose some freedom and might work extra hours.

Pros in current role:

work is good and learning is great.

FTE since last 1 yr. Know the system better.

already Asked my current manager for hike (somewhere middle ground istanu anaru)+ promotion. agreed to do in 6 months.

Good job security.

Drawbacks

1) There is some inflated roles in some teams and deflated in our team

I saw ppl with 3-4 yrs exp became senior level engg, But it isn't the case in my team. I am currently still at mid level. 

2) Just that i feel like i am falling a bit short to where i am supposed to be for my experience. Hurting my confidence a bit and it is impacting my work.

On H1b startup ante. Think about what if company closed or merges in the future? Expect too much work but you can grow faster  

never work for fancy start ups..my 2c

1)first start up you dont join pre IPO and earn millions..thats too tooo too rare..you jion 3-4 and you make up in one

2)job security is literally zero.if one client goes away. within hours they will wipe out people

3)in start up you will not have direction..evevo work chesta untav..and after a while you end up no where..

if you passionate about AV then you should only focus on waymo , uber , rivian , toyota , autonomous startups etc

4)it looks fancy to stay working in start up..but ideally in start ups core product dev is rare..they usually spend on licenses and get work done quick..example in confluent kafka you dont learn any..just button clicks..if you do from scratch in house you learn a ton

5)thats why big tech re invent everything from scratch

so dont move just because of pay or that unknown name assuming you will make a ton one day