Cbn protesting airports per district

nuvvu_naakina_paalem

1 hour ago, Raven_Rayes said:

there's no problem. its quite adequate as of now. Last time I checked - some 3 months ago, it had upgraded washrooms even. that's all I care about.

I only wish our bus stand is maintained similarly.

I used Domestic-to intl terminal sometime in 2008...Chennai airport was much better than Mumbai's Santacruz. I remember it was very spacious...both inside as well as outside the terminal.

10 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

But its owned by AAI kada...why would and what interest does state govt has in the airport ? at the best oka minority stake holder vundochu emo...

Its not a stake holder, but any expansion of the airport will require the state govt to provide the land for expansion. Even with a private player in the fray.

problem for Chennai airport is land acquisition. No idea how privatization is going to solve that. Privatization certainly will improve the services like better baggage handling, cleaner washrooms etc. but the problem of increasing capacity will remain. Since AAI is already running an efficient ship as far as ground operations are concerned.

however on the question of second airport , AAI and the state govt are playing games since both are not sure of the feasibility of the project.

8 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

I used Domestic-to intl terminal sometime in 2008...Chennai airport was much better than Mumbai's Santacruz. I remember it was very spacious...both inside as well as outside the terminal.

It got worse in the last decade, and according to many of my friends - unusable and disgusting.

Chennai is probably the smallest airport by space. It feels airy because technically it has only one runway. The second one was badly constructed, and hardly used now.

Hyderabad - 5500 ac.

Chennai - 1300 ac

Hyderabad can expand its capacity to atleast 100m passengers without a problem if enough planning goes into it.

Chennai is already running an efficient airport (traffic control wise), and can't improve capacity unless parallel runway is added to it. Privatization may bring some change from conservative shitheads at the AAI, who were dumb enough to refuse to build a parallel runway in 2000 when the state govt was ready to provide land for the same, since according to their estimates Chennai wouldn't need it.

Now they want to build it, when people have settled there in the last 10yrs and would be very expensive to make them leave.

14 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

There will be agitations the minute State govt announces that there will be a third runway in the current airport.

even a shortened one that seeks to minimize land acquisition costs

17 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

There's also this question of how important an airport is to the local economy. Turns out, not much.

its true of every airport too in India. less than 1% most likely for every state.

45 minutes ago, Android_Halwa said:

FIL1hw5VkAIFvcM?format=jpg&name=900x900

New year special in Chennai airport lounge  @~`

Govt employees kindha ilagey untayi maintenance 

If the same situation repeats in Hyderabad airport , heads will roll. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

all that is fine. but Chennai is still running same number of flights per day (with much lower passenger count, but if you take cargo it does make it up to some extent) as those privately managed airports that have much better infrastructure. like two separate runways etc.

why you think?

4 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

all that is fine. but Chennai is still running same number of flights per day (with much lower passenger count, but if you take cargo it does make it up to some extent) as those privately managed airports that have much better infrastructure. like two separate runways etc.

why you think?

I don't doubt the capability of the establishment , I just hate the callousness and indifference of the management

Govt employees are not accountable to anyone and the govt is too scared to act tough 

34 minutes ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

can any private operator increase number of flights landing/taking off at chennai airport, without going for expensive land acquisition (for which they again need the state govt)?

if there's such a private player, AAI can be pushed out. yes.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but nobody has come forward to do it yet.

The integrated terminal is set to open on Jun this year. But again the problem is far from being solved. The problem of improving capacity in the existing airport.

Rest about dogs sleeping on airport lounges is a cosmetic issue that can be solved easily. If that's the most important problem privatization can solve, then I laugh at privatization.

2 minutes ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

I don't doubt the capability of the establishment , I just hate the callousness and indifference of the management

Govt employees are not accountable to anyone and the govt is too scared to act tough 

No. There's a case to be made for privatization. A more ambitious private player would by hook or crook get the land acquisition going for the parallel runway (atleast another 1300ac occupied upto 10% by low density housing currently), that can increase the capacity of the airport to handle upto 50m passengers per yr.

If that happens, I'm super happy, since I want my airport to be just 30min ride away.

but that train has passed in 2000. The problem with chennai airport is not privatization, but lost opportunities, both by AAI, and by the silly politics of two parties in power. especially DMK that agitated against the second runway in 2011, and was floating a second greenfield airport in 2009 itself.

lets hope DMK atleast goes ahead with its original plan now for a greenfield airport, and Chennai gets a swanky new one 70kms outside the city. doesn't matter where.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

can any private operator increase number of flights landing/taking off at chennai airport, without going for expensive land acquisition (for which they again need the state govt)?

if there's such a private player, AAI can be pushed out. yes.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but nobody has come forward to do it yet.

The integrated terminal is set to open on Jun this year. But again the problem is far from being solved. The problem of improving capacity in the existing airport.

Rest about dogs sleeping on airport lounges is a cosmetic issue that can be solved easily. If that's the most important problem privatization can solve, then I laugh at privatization.

Not just dogs , the immigration ques are terribly handled , Water leakages during rain , parking is a mess , etc 

AAI suffers the same fate of all govt organisations , the employees become entrenched and callous , The management is indifferent to customers. Work progresses at snails pace 

Wanna bet the integrated terminal won't be in operation this year ?  

53 minutes ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

Not just dogs , the immigration ques are terribly handled , Water leakages during rain , parking is a mess , etc 

AAI suffers the same fate of all govt organisations , the employees become entrenched and callous , The management is indifferent to customers. Work progresses at snails pace 

Wanna bet the integrated terminal won't be in operation this year ?  

immigration is handled by govt staff anyway.

All AAI airports are on track to be privatised, according to the national monetization of assets plan or something by the union govt. Chennai is on for 2024.

But this is not the first time. Modi govt tried to get the ball rolling in 2015 itself, and dropped it once the private player who was in charge of construction of the new terminal had done a bad job and was gettig a lot of negative pr. They are trying again.

11 minutes ago, Raven_Rayes said:

All AAI airports are on track to be privatised, according to the national monetization of assets plan or something by the union govt. Chennai is on for 2024.

But this is not the first time. Modi govt tried to get the ball rolling in 2015 itself, and dropped it once the private player who was in charge of construction of the new terminal had done a bad job and was gettig a lot of negative pr. They are trying again.

Bodi shall be key player say for next few yrs kaka..

Lakhul.. elago Strong opposition ledu ^^

1 hour ago, Raven_Rayes said:

Not the immigration process itself, queue management system is abyssmal.

Some of my relatives had to wait almost 3 hours to just get on queue due to miscommunication between AAI staff