Apparently gifting your wife a fitness bike is sexist: Peloton Bike!!

DummyVariable

After the ad’s release, the Times notes, a few comedians and social-media users made fun of it, as the woman’s devotion to her Peloton appears to be making her miserable. This past week, the ad went viral, eliciting a deluge of mockery and criticism.

Some people condemned the ad as “sexist,” suggesting that the video implied that the husband wanted his wife to lose weight. Others compared it to the dystopian Netflix show Black Mirror. Quite a few expressed sympathy for the woman, who came to be known as “Peloton Wife.” “It’s clear this woman doesn’t need a Peloton. She needs a good therapist and a divorce lawyer,” one journalist wrote in one of the many, many articles about the ad. Some comedians even spoofed it.

On Thursday, the “Peloton Husband” himself discussed the ad in an article published on Psychology Today. Speaking about the backlash directed at the man in the ad — “Absolutely 100% chance that the husband in the Peloton ad is abusive,” one person tweeted — actor and elementary-school teacher Sean Hunter said, “My 5 seconds of air time created an array of malicious feedback that is all associated with my face. My friend texted me today declaring that I’m ‘a symbol of the patriarchy.’” (He doesn’t seem too eager to put this episode behind him, though: He has claimed the Instagram handle @PelotonHusband.)

2 minutes ago, DummyVariable said:

Are people crazy? Gifting someone something that can make them healthy is offensive apparently. Lol

Victimhood is the new sexy.

4 minutes ago, SH_221B said:

Victimhood is the new sexy.

The actor got abused online and got called misogynistic because he played the role of the husband. 

Taking out on paid actors because they don’t want to be healthy. Like what is even wrong with these people? 🤢

12 minutes ago, DummyVariable said:

Are people crazy? Gifting someone something that can make them healthy is offensive apparently. Lol

I was once gifted a balance by my uncle. Would you say that's offensive?