Gender roles are BULL SH1T

Ellen

5 minutes ago, chanchala said:

It's not a 'concept'. for several women it is the reality, atleast in our mom's gen. They were not allowed to work, especially after having kids. 

in modern divorces, alimony is paid based on how much it takes to maintain a certain quality of life for the poorer partner. it has nothing to do with special privilege for women. I don't see whats the problem with that. plus, its not an open and shut case. you dont turn up to court and be awarded an alimony. Its a long and humiliating battle for both partners washin dirty laundry in public. They can easily chose to get divorce by mutual consent. and court won't force anything on them.

Nobody asks for money after a partner wins. They ask it when the relationship is strained for whatever reason. 

anyway, since you said you are talking about privileged circles, you have to remember that they are all very conservative in those circles. Even those who call themselves liberal. Even in Canada. Ofcourse they'll be chivalrous. They'll have special quotas for women and what not. 

Radical circles don't have this problem. Its the traditional society that still wants to accord women special status because they are cowards to actually challenge men that are aggressive. It is their way of compensating for their cowardice. In radical circles, those men would be shamed, mocked or even beaten to sh1t.

Chivalry should die 

6 minutes ago, Diana said:

Problem is not about roles

problem is with feeling of men superiority

women e role perform chesina right recognization unte asalu problems undav  

Defined Roles unnai kabatte superiority vachindi ani antunna 

55 minutes ago, Ellen said:

Gender roles ante : men ante ila undali...women ante ila behave cheyali ani nammadam. If you are not hell bent on these definitions, it gives space for everyone to grow. It applies to everyone, this post for everyone. 

are you conscious of being a girl? even after a world of opportunities opened up for you?

do you want to succeed as a girl or just another researcher? if its just as another researcher, why are you even bothered about how girls are treated? you've already reached a level where gender is immaterial.

Just now, Ellen said:

Defined Roles unnai kabatte superiority vachindi ani antunna 

Defined roles leni industries lo women ni still poor performing ga ne chustunnaru

ex - In IT industry women leadership is still less due to less promotions offered for women 

salaries r less in any other normal industry where men and women are achieving same results 

Roles kadu issue ikada.. Men superiority complex!!

Just now, chanchala said:

are you conscious of being a girl? even after a world of opportunities opened up for you?

do you want to succeed as a girl or just another researcher? if its just as another researcher, why are you even bothered about how girls are treated? you've already reached a level where gender is immaterial.

Yes I want to succeed as just another researcher, I’m not bothered about how “girls” are treated, you got me wrong. I don’t care for my gender identity, but it irks me when someone calls me to give a talk as “woman in math or woman in stem”. Call me and let me speak because my research is actually worth showing off. When you are attaching a gender role to me, it shows that it’s ok even if my research is mediocre because hey I’m a woman. Hell no! If my research is bad, tell me it’s Bullsh1t and not on par. Don’t give me concession because I’m woman.

2 minutes ago, Diana said:

Defined roles leni industries lo women ni still poor performing ga ne chustunnaru

ex - In IT industry women leadership is still less due to less promotions offered for women 

salaries r less in any other normal industry where men and women are achieving same results 

If I do equal work , give me equal pay. Don’t pay me more Or less because of my gender 

Just now, Diana said:

forget it diana. women can never assume big leadership roles in the corporate sector. Its full of mediocre people who do deals in binge drinking nights and sh1t.

That structure was built for men and by men.

Ellen is talking about her own world - the world of academia, where institutes sometimes overcompensate for ensuring higher representation of women because it is tied to some kind of grant from the govt or something.

• Upvote 1

Just now, chanchala said:

forget it diana. women can never assume big leadership roles in the corporate sector. Its full of mediocre people who do deals in binge drinking nights and sh1t.

Ellen is talking about her own world - the world of academia, where institutes sometimes overcompensate for ensuring higher representation of women because it is tied to some kind of grant from the govt or something.

Yes and grants ...ewww 

1 minute ago, Ellen said:

Yes I want to succeed as just another researcher, I’m not bothered about how “girls” are treated, you got me wrong. I don’t care for my gender identity, but it irks me when someone calls me to give a talk as “woman in math or woman in stem”. Call me and let me speak because my research is actually worth showing off. When you are attaching a gender role to me, it shows that it’s ok even if my research is mediocre because hey I’m a woman. Hell no! If my research is bad, tell me it’s Bullsh1t and not on par. Don’t give me concession because I’m woman.

you can tell them that you prefer to be called gender neutral pronoun 'it', even though you are not a queer. 

2 minutes ago, chanchala said:

you can tell them that you prefer to be called gender neutral pronoun 'it', even though you are not a queer. 

Now they ll treat me special because I’m queer, don’t box me into something, forget it, idi tegedi kaadu le, all I can do is work like its normal 

5 minutes ago, chanchala said:

Sad Reality!!

People who think men and women are treated equal in current generation should watch this..

@Ellen even academia is conservative.

if you want the real deal, go join some opensource community and see how you get treated. actually, no one would know if you are a girl or a guy unless you told them. and then, they wouldn't care

universities are not meritocratic institutions. It was in the past. Not  anymore.

the real marketplace of ideas exist outside the corporates and universities, in hacker communities. There you get to find your real worth.