Ponniyin Selvan is like Game of Thrones anta

tennisluvrredux

9 hours ago, dasari4kntr said:

I didnt watch the movie yet…may be this weekend or wait for OTT…

but this tweet gave me full plot line…

btw, inspite of whatever I say, I enjoyed the movie. I just wouldn't recommend the movie to others. :)

It far exceeded my expectations. I thought it would be much worse than what it was.

On 10/1/2022 at 12:16 AM, Raven_Rayes said:

I would never watch a movie on cinemas, but a friend dragged me to it, even offering to walk to the theatre. hehe..

It just doesn't work as a movie. a lot of things happen for no reason, and unless you read the book, I wonder how you can make sense of what is happening on the screen.

its funny how the audience I was sitting with was mostly meh through the whole movie. but surprisingly, it seems not a single tamil reviewer yet has blasted the film. I think this movie definitely deserves a lot of criticism. tamils are deluding themselves that this is a great film.

like the Sharath Kumar character's fatal attraction to Nandhini is made even worse by Aish still putting off from having s3x with him. How does mani show that visually?? With just one scene where sarath is slowly removing her jewels in the hope that she'll finally sleep with him. I don't know what the viewer is supposed to understand from that scene.

mani cut off huge portions of the book, and the ones he kept he stayed true to the original. Still he couldn't create an coherent tale that carried the interplay between characters to recreate the drama that made the book popular. There was only one such scene where Trisha addresses the chieftains plotting to mount an internal rebellion, teasing them with a chance to have their daughters marry the crown prince.

and mani glosses over this scene and promptly moves on to the next boring one. There are several such dramatic moments in the book, some of which mani has captured without much thought to the overall structure of the movie.

imo him trying to stay true to the book is the biggest fatal flaw in the movie. He should have done something like Jurassic Park, which left huge portions of the book (even flipped the protagonists) and still made a very trimmed, but a watchable version of the book, that captured what the book was about for the most part.

i read the book a few years after I watched the movie as a little kid. I've reread it dozens of times atleast. The greatest anarchist novel ever written according to me (after The Dispossessed), but none of it translated on to the screen, apart from the visuals. Still as a kid I was fascinated by the movie, even though in hindsight I feel less in awe of it.

that's the patch mani should've taken. took a risk and pissed off the book lovers. may be its hard to do it for a drama. but there in lies the talent of the filmmaker. mani clearly doesn't have that talent.

Entha rasav enti :( :huh: