చాపకింద నీరులా ప్రచ్ఛన్న యుద్ధం…

dasari4kntr

Israeli-Owned Oil Tanker Hit by Suspected Iranian Drone

The 600-foot Pacific Zircon was traveling through the Gulf of Oman when it was hit by a single drone, people familiar with the matter said

An Is­raeli-owned oil tanker was hit by a sus­pected Iran­ian drone Tues­day night in the Gulf of Oman, ac­cord­ing to peo­ple fa­mil­iar with the in­ci­dent, cre­at­ing a hole in the ship but caus­ing no in­juries or deaths.

The 600-foot Pa­cific Zir­con was trav­el­ing through the Gulf of Oman when it was hit by a sin­gle drone, the peo­ple said. The strike made a hole in the back of the ship, but the ves­sel wasn’t dis­abled, they added.

The Pa­cific Zir­con is owned by Idan Ofer, an Is­raeli bil­lion­aire who founded East­ern Pa­cific Ship­ping, the peo­ple said.

Cyril Ducau, the com­pa­ny’s chief ex­ec­u­tive of­fi­cer, told The Wall Street Jour­nal that the crew was safe and that the ship had suf­fered only mi­nor dam­age. The com­pany said the at­tack caused no oil spill and that the ship was still sail­ing.

The U.S. mil­i­tary de­nounced the at­tack as an­other sign of Iran’s threat to the Mid­dle East.

“This un­manned aer­ial ve­hi­cle at­tack against a civil­ian ves­sel in this crit­i­cal mar­itime strait demon­strates, once again, the desta­bi­liz­ing na­ture of Iran­ian ma­lign ac­tiv­ity in the re­gion,” said Gen. Michael Erik Kurilla, the head of U.S. Cen­tral Com­mand, which is re­spon­si­ble for Amer­i­can mil­i­tary op­er­a­tions in the Mid­dle East.

The at­tack comes amid grow­ing con­cern about Iran’s mil­i­tary threats to the re­gion as Tehran grap­ples with pro­tracted protests at home that have un­der­mined the gov­ern­ment’s grip on power.

Tehran has launched a se­ries of drone-and-mis­sile strikes on Kur­dish groups in north­ern Iraq, and pub­licly threat­ened Saudi Ara­bia, which it has ac­cused of stok­ing the protests in Iran.

Last year, the U.S. ac­cused Iran of launch­ing a deadly drone at­tack on an Is­raeli-af­fil­i­ated oil tanker in the Gulf of Oman that killed two crew mem­bers. West­ern of­fi­cials said Iran used Sha­hed-136 drones—the same kind be­ing used by Rus­sia in Ukraine—to hit the Mer­cer Street tanker. Iran de­nied any in­volve­ment in the at­tack.

Ear­lier this month, Saudi Ara­bia and the U.S. shared in­tel­li­gence sug­gest­ing that Iran was poised to carry out an at­tack on eco­nomic tar­gets in the king­dom, though of­fi­cials said the im­me­di­ate threat sub­sided af­ter the Jour­nal re­ported on the warn­ings.