Is USA done?

krishnaaa

7 hours ago, AreyOSamba said:

There is a lot of may be's / assumptions here guru. Forget about Tata acquiring it. They are having terrible last 2-3 years. 

there are always certain assumptions when going through business acquisition, otherwise even google wouldn't sell boston dynamics or people including the ones in db wouldn't loose money in stocks.

But the point i am making is don't see this as just a business deal. when was the last time an Indian company acquired a major european brand or company, it comes with the having money and some sort of influence that money brings.

It was rumored then that if not the Tata's a chinese company would have acquired Jaguar.

Jaguar or Tata having a bad 2-3 years are a different matter altogether that has to do with business model and cars being sold. That is a separate debate altogether.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, telugu_fan said:

there are always certain assumptions when going through business acquisition, otherwise even google wouldn't sell boston dynamics or people including the ones in db wouldn't loose money in stocks.

But the point i am making is don't see this as just a business deal. when was the last time an Indian company acquired a major european brand or company, it comes with the having money and some sort of influence that money brings.

It was rumored then that if not the Tata's a chinese company would have acquired Jaguar.

Jaguar or Tata having a bad 2-3 years are a different matter altogether that has to do with business model and cars being sold. That is a separate debate altogether.

Dude. You have to understand the fact that Tata acquiring Jaguar Landrover doesn't have significant impact on either India or it economics. If it is pride thing then yes. Wow Indian company acquired a British company blah blah blah.

My original argument was why was a company like Apple / Google / Tesla / Meta were not coming from India. Why can't we say 1 Indian company has such a big global impact till date.

On 1/27/2023 at 9:19 AM, AreyOSamba said:

Dude. You have to understand the fact that Tata acquiring Jaguar Landrover doesn't have significant impact on either India or it economics. If it is pride thing then yes. Wow Indian company acquired a British company blah blah blah.

My original argument was why was a company like Apple / Google / Tesla / Meta were not coming from India. Why can't we say 1 Indian company has such a big global impact till date.

Your original point about companies not coming from India misses a few points - maybe you were implying them, i don't know. Apple/Google/Tesla/Meta or any other company (Amazon etc etc) have come up in the US due to the culture of Venture Capitalist. People or Institutions looking to invest in startups need a risk taking culture and a lot of money (and i mean a lot). Not all startups are successful either in the US.

And all the major companies in the US look to acquire smaller companies to get tech or licenses or some other stuff that the thinks helps business. So Indian companies acquiring companies should be seen in a similar light, normal people might take it as a pride thing, but there is dearth of tech in India that simply cannot be filled by pure research and universities. maybe acquisitions help them acquire it. Most of the acquisitions might not amount to much, but a few will do and that should be encouraged.

If you want to port the idea of venture capital to India, that will take some time due to capital being low and people looking for lower risk to make money like real estate or gold . Even in our very own db we have a lot of people investing in homes or maybe a little in stocks, not many seem to be in venture capital. For venture capital to take flight people must be looking at it from an investment point of view and risk taking ability which is very low among common folk.

If that has to change you will have to change taxation and labor laws. The taxes for companies atleast on paper are on par with the west and there are some extra schemes by state and Central govt to get further incentives. Are these enough and will India also have similar companies, I don't know - i am not a soothsayer, but its a start - one which needs to be nurtured and taken forward with more concrete steps.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, telugu_fan said:

Your original point about companies not coming from India misses a few points - maybe you were implying them, i don't know. Apple/Google/Tesla/Meta or any other company (Amazon etc etc) have come up in the US due to the culture of Venture Capitalist. People or Institutions looking to invest in startups need a risk taking culture and a lot of money (and i mean a lot). Not all startups are successful either in the US.

And all the major companies in the US look to acquire smaller companies to get tech or licenses or some other stuff that the thinks helps business. So Indian companies acquiring companies should be seen in a similar light, normal people might take it as a pride thing, but there is dearth of tech in India that simply cannot be filled by pure research and universities. maybe acquisitions help them acquire it. Most of the acquisitions might not amount to much, but a few will do and that should be encouraged.

If you want to port the idea of venture capital to India, that will take some time due to capital being low and people looking for lower risk to make money like real estate or gold . Even in our very own db we have a lot of people investing in homes or maybe a little in stocks, not many seem to be in venture capital. For venture capital to take flight people must be looking at it from an investment point of view and risk taking ability which is very low among common folk.

If that has to change you will have to change taxation and labor laws. The taxes for companies atleast on paper are on par with the west and there are some extra schemes by state and Central govt to get further incentives. Are these enough and will India also have similar companies, I don't know - i am not a soothsayer, but its a start - one which needs to be nurtured and taken forward with more concrete steps.

These companies became big because of 2 reasons and it has nothing to do with the VC culture. Like you said not all startups  end up successful. 

1. They have compelling products to sell around the world

2. They are publicly traded where people can openly invest in the stock without restrictions (even if you are not a resident of US)

All I was asking is why there are no compelling products in India that could sell around the world (thus make good companies) and why aren't we able to attract FII's?

17 hours ago, telugu_fan said:

Exactly.....Money and the environment for startups to grow is what US has.

India is getting there slowly. A fine example that is visible to the common man is the grand scale of movies that are being produced. We couldn't have imagined movies such as Bahubali, RRR, Bramhastra etc(whether they are good or bad is a different discussion) some time back

When china started manufacturing, they were far behind....now they are the factories of the world.

India is taking over IT in a similar fashion.

Google/Apple/Tesla bought many companies and also paid lot of money to its developers to attract them from all over the world to get things done.

Pretty sure that there were startups that would have been FAANG killers in other regions like in Asia/South America/Africa, but they didn't have proper environment to grow. This equation is changing.

England looked down upon West Indies and then they became te World Champions.

WI looked down on India and we know what happened in 1983 :)

On 1/2/2023 at 3:19 AM, hyperbole said:

On every livability index India is dead last, quality of life is one of the main reason majority of the people will never go back to India. The AQI levels itself may shorten your life span 

USA is a high end technology, pharma mover on which the world is dependent upon, every freaking drug ftom vaccines to major deseases are licensed.

India is dependent on services revenue otherwise a trade deficit nation which imports more than it exports and it is not going to chnage majically. Unless you are at the top of the food chain you will lead miserable life and slog like a slave on 9-7 job

you nailed it

16 minutes ago, krishnaaa said:

India is getting there slowly. A fine example that is visible to the common man is the grand scale of movies that are being produced. We couldn't have imagined movies such as Bahubali, RRR, Bramhastra etc(whether they are good or bad is a different discussion) some time back

When china started manufacturing, they were far behind....now they are the factories of the world.

Google/Apple/Tesla bought many companies and also paid lot of money to its developers to attract them from all over the world to get things done.

Pretty sure that there were startups that would have been FAANG killers in other regions like in Asia/South America/Africa, but they didn't have proper environment to grow. This equation is changing.

Anna. Movies and Cricket examples tho extrapolate sesthunnava??

17 minutes ago, krishnaaa said:

Exactly. Nigeria is much faster

12 minutes ago, veerigadu said:

Anna. Movies and Cricket examples tho extrapolate sesthunnava??

Ikkada janalaki avi thappa....inkoti ardham avvatledhu kabatti thappatledhu 😋

When economic condition improves, it will start to show in various ways.

Look at the change in the movies when there was lot of growth in US due to industrial revolution.

Entire world hails the growth of India....except for Indians.

When US was growing , Europe became restless....while Americans were pessimistic.

This is because when they looked around, they saw things like slavery and persecution.

If you know something too much, you cannot appreciate its greatness. Pretty sure friends of Einstein or Nikola didn't think of them as someone special as they are aware of their flaws as well.

15 minutes ago, veerigadu said:

you nailed it

Enti nail chesedhi...athanemanna carpentar aa?

He is just talking about current situation while closing his eyes about the future.

When you buy a stock, you think about its future prospects. Can't say that Apple/google/Tesla were junk companies when they were losing money initially.

AQI levels will go down with EVs. Just search India EVs on youtube.....look at the interest people have.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, krishnaaa said:

Ikkada janalaki avi thappa....inkoti ardham avvatledhu kabatti thappatledhu 😋

When economic condition improves, it will start to show in various ways.

Look at the change in the movies when there was lot of growth in US due to industrial revolution.

Entire world hails the growth of India....except for Indians.

When US was growing , Europe became restless....while Americans were pessimistic.

This is because when they looked around, they saw things like slavery and persecution.

If you know something too much, you cannot appreciate its greatness. Pretty sure friends of Einstein or Nikola didn't think of them as someone special as they are aware of their flaws as well.

Bro. I do acknowledge and agree that India is growing. However, vomericaaan resources and their systems are way too advanced. I can go into more technicalities but others already touched it on a very high level. Hence I rest my case here. 

Everything comes down to population in Indias scenario. 

1 minute ago, veerigadu said:

Bro. I do acknowledge and agree that India is growing. However, vomericaaan resources and their systems are way too advanced. I can go into more technicalities but others already touched it on a very high level. Hence I rest my case here. 

Waste Pakodi discussion vayya. He is in his imagination that he is going back to India in next 5 or 10 years. So he is trying to justify that now. so all this sodhi laddu lo discussion

20 minutes ago, veerigadu said:

vomerica is in huge debt and its population is aging and has low growth.

I have mentioned this already. I also rest my case your majesty 😝

1 minute ago, krishnaaa said:

Enti nail chesedhi...athanemanna carpentar aa?

He is just talking about current situation while closing his eyes about the future.

When you buy a stock, you think about its future prospects. Can't say that Apple/google/Tesla were junk companies when they were losing money initially.

AQI levels will go down with EVs. Just search India EVs on youtube.....look at the interest people have.

India lo pollutions comes from dirt, lack of cleaninless, poor construction pratoces. Not vehicles so much,

4 hours ago, krishnaaa said:

vomerica is in huge debt and its population is aging and has low growth.

I have mentioned this already. I also rest my case your majesty 😝

Okay.