Emergency Room Bill

pandu123b

12 minutes ago, Sanjiv said:

the system comes with a price that so many people are willing to pay for happily

not willing to but rather forced to 

may be you're not aware of people going bankrupt merely for medical reasons

for profit health/insurance industry is the biggest drawback of this country

check Explanation of Benefits. if the bill amount is because you didnt meet your deductible then its ok. just pay it and next time onwards you shouldn't pay anything out of pocket (except copay coinsurance)

if ER sent a claim and insurance paid for it as per agreement with ER, but ER sent a bill to you for remaining balance, then its illegal. 

19 hours ago, pandu123b said:

AUSTIN lo, kid ki edo baledu ani ER ki teeskuellam high fever taggatledu.

vadu inta tylenol ichi em ledu annadu.

bill emo $2000 , after insurance $1200 kattali anta

endi anna ee darunam.

any ways we can reduce the bill?

Spouse ki back pain and itwas severe. i took her to emergency. X-ray, pain relief injections and tablets ichi bill aprox $15K vesaru. i have to pay $4000 after insurance claim. 

i'm a contractor and my insurance is not good though.

Only way to reduce the bill is ask for detail description of bill and find if they charge any unnecessary bills. Also, ask them if I pay at a time, is there any discount aaa ani. only few hospitals will discount. 

19 hours ago, pandu123b said:

yeah anna

nenu office lo unnanu , it would have taken 30 minutes to come home and again some time to take him urgent care.

so, wife called 911 and they took it to er

If you use 911, you will get another bill from 911 provider. just make sure, ask them to submit to your insurance. 

I tried to negotiate payment 20% ichadu if I paid in full , call payment number and ask for discount if I pay in full usually they have some margin 

better to pay off effects the credit score 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, pandu123b said:

yeah anna

nenu office lo unnanu , it would have taken 30 minutes to come home and again some time to take him urgent care.

so, wife called 911 and they took it to er

Next time call your pediatrician on call , (6-8pm) then urgent care(8-12) then ER and you can drive to ER or book a cab no need to use emergency services if it’s not needed. Ask help from a friend or book Uber 

3 hours ago, shaktimaan said:

not willing to but rather forced to 

may be you're not aware of people going bankrupt merely for medical reasons

for profit health/insurance industry is the biggest drawback of this country

everyone wants and needs to get paid.

Super greedy doctors want to make a min of 300K and there is no limit for max - it can cross 1M. Afterall, they chose the profession only for more $$.

hospitals need to pay for the facilities, equipment, staff... they have agreed/contracted rates for various medical procedures with insurance companies. Doctors and hospitals are at the mercy of insurance companies who route their members to those hospitals/network for business at discounted rates - like how Movie Pass wanted to model their business to route their subscribers to theaters for discounted ticket rates but failed when theaters did not bend and launched their own ticket discount/club/rewards apps quickly due to the available technology and MP went broke. If there was no technology for movie theaters to use and retaliate, MoviePass could have crushed the theaters with their biz model and members. In the olden paper days, there was not much technology available to beat the insurance model quickly and timely and they just went with it which now became a culture and an additional layer of expense for people. They added perks like 2M maximum benefit to make it justifiable. India la kuda undi ga insurance these days?

insurance needs to pay those who are using it from the money they collect from those who pay but don't use it - it is a balancing act and that's how insurance works. Less than 5% people use their insurance but pay for it every month. that is the only way insurance is covering bills over 20K for a patient when patient is not even paying them 10K in insurance premiums in a year.

1 hour ago, vokatonumberkurrodu said:

check Explanation of Benefits. if the bill amount is because you didnt meet your deductible then its ok. just pay it and next time onwards you shouldn't pay anything out of pocket (except copay coinsurance)

if ER sent a claim and insurance paid for it as per agreement with ER, but ER sent a bill to you for remaining balance, then its illegal. 

insurance will only pay the agreed amounts with the hospital. Hospital says we are responsible for the remaining balance. How is it illegal?

Don't pay it off immediately. just delay paying until the last moment and ask for discount or settlement. if your income is below 6x poverty level, you can ask for up to 100% discount.

• Thanks 1

Dude. Its because of your insurance plan, nothing to do with the ER. 
ER lo adhi normal ye.

Just as an example, we use to have a plan which is $250 deductable for ER and hospitalization. If you check in and your bill is $20K you still pay $250

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sanjiv said:

everyone wants and needs to get paid.

Super greedy doctors want to make a min of 300K and there is no limit for max - it can cross 1M. Afterall, they chose the profession only for more $$.

hospitals need to pay for the facilities, equipment, staff... they have agreed/contracted amounts for various procedures with insurance companies. Doctors and hospitals are at the mercy of insurance companies who route their members to those hospitals/network for business at discounted rates - like how Movie Pass wanted to model their business to route their subscribers to theaters for discounted ticket rates but failed when theaters launched their own ticket discount/club/rewards apps due to the available technology. If there was no technology for movie theaters to use and retaliate, MoviePass could have crushed the theaters with their biz model and members. In the olden paper days, there was not much technology available to beat the insurance model quickly and timely and they just went with it which now became a culture and an additional layer of expense for people. India la kuda undi ga insurance these days?

insurance needs to pay those who are using it from the money they collect from those who pay but don't use it - it is a balancing act and that's how insurance works. Less than 5% people use their insurance but pay for it every month. that is the only way insurance is covering bills over 20K for a patient when patient is not even paying them 10K in a year.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Insurance companies are no saints, they will try to deny every chance they get

do you know what for profit means? It is to make profits for the shareholders. It's a broken industry here and only Universal healthcare will fix this

25 minutes ago, shaktimaan said:

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Insurance companies are no saints, they will try to deny every chance they get

do you know what for profit means? It is to make profits for the shareholders. It's a broken industry here and only Universal healthcare will fix this

what is hard to understand in what I said??

yes, insurance companies are ruled by attorneys (you cannot beat them). Suck it up.

yes i do (I own one)

9 minutes ago, Sanjiv said:

yes, insurance companies are ruled by attorneys (you cannot beat them). Suck it up.

yes i do (I own one)

hahaha...spoken like a true idiot