Should suicide be legalized?

zarathustra

11 hours ago, zarathustra said:

We all pretty much know that life is meaningless and largely pointless 

For some enlightened beings who come to this realization, the only way out is to rid themselves of continuing this charade. 

In that case, wouldn't suicide be the optimal solution. 

Is that the reason why all religions/govts/social institutions condemn suicide? 

Because maybe they know that once someone reaches the point of getting themselves out of this pointless existence, they aren't "useful" to the society anymore(won't pay taxes, won't contribute more future tax paying citizens etc). 

Is suicide the ultimate realization, the "enlightenment" that we all need? 

here is my reason

when a person is born, nation gets a tax payers

when person dies, tax payer is lost

nation states will everything to keep you alive even long term sickness is fine as long as you pay some form of taxes

legalizing S will never happen in any country coz no country wants to lose taxes

15 minutes ago, pakeer_saab said:

here is my reason

when a person is born, nation gets a tax payers

when person dies, tax payer is lost

nation states will everything to keep you alive even long term sickness is fine as long as you pay some form of taxes

legalizing S will never happen in any country coz no country wants to lose taxes

dumbest reason.

suicide is already legal in large parts of the world.

3 hours ago, zarathustra said:

I find life pointless, existence meaningless. 

Could I commit suicide and should I be encouraged to do so? 

the meaning is in the experience itself. a trillion different meanings contradicting each other, since life doesn't speak our language.

you can do whatever you want, just to experience a different facet of life.

death would be even more boring than life, if you think about it.

• Upvote 1

we generally live extremely protected lives. sometimes the monotony of our experiences, and the impossibility of living up to our ideal can bog us down.

12 hours ago, zarathustra said:

We all pretty much know that life is meaningless and largely pointless 

For some enlightened beings who come to this realization, the only way out is to rid themselves of continuing this charade. 

In that case, wouldn't suicide be the optimal solution. 

Is that the reason why all religions/govts/social institutions condemn suicide? 

Because maybe they know that once someone reaches the point of getting themselves out of this pointless existence, they aren't "useful" to the society anymore(won't pay taxes, won't contribute more future tax paying citizens etc). 

Is suicide the ultimate realization, the "enlightenment" that we all need? 

There's no single meaning to find, and no one point to prove. even to yourself.

won't that realization completely liberate the person to pursue life with more vigour? not bogged down by friendship, marriage, and social and economic and cultural fake institutions, that he must pay fealty to, to live a full life?

• Upvote 1

What if you fail to commit suicide properly? It is even harder to attempt it again... and life becomes even worse after that attempt... 

When I was a kid, one old person (in his 50’s) in my street attempted suicide because of family issues and economic hardship... he was saved from death and his family had to take huge debt for his medical bills... he faced lot of health issues after that.. and his family situation became even worse.. they went from lower middle class to very poor..