One more indian in silicon valley

dasari4kntr

Just now, tennisluvrredux said:

Obviously man. 

Worst case option, if he comes under severe fire and has to quit they will pay him a few millions for him to retire times over and enjoy the rest of his life. 

He can get those millions while being cto too. I hope he doesnt become like kamala harris.

5 minutes ago, tennisluvrredux said:

Of course, but even to be considered for such roles you have to get into a top B school first unless you are a founder

Well, Parag is a Ph.D in Computer Science from Stanford. Not an MBA. Not that it makes any difference to the argument. All top schools have weightage if you are from an IIT.

24 minutes ago, DummyVariable said:

Why East Asians but not South Asians are underrepresented in leadership positions in the United States

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/9/4590 @Pulkapresident

I am female and South Asian. I will believe this when I become the chair of a department, or the dean of the University. Yeah? 

4 minutes ago, Pulkapresident said:

I am female and South Asian. I will believe this when I become the chair of a department, or the dean of the University. Yeah? 

I have a relative in academia she complains of rampant racism against indians. Not sure how much to beleive.

40 minutes ago, RSUCHOU said:

Well, Parag is a Ph.D in Computer Science from Stanford. Not an MBA. Not that it makes any difference to the argument. All top schools have weightage if you are from an IIT.

Sorry I didn't realize that, I thought he was a B school graduate. 

13 minutes ago, Pulkapresident said:

You want the Nobel prize though. Very different things yeah

Just now, Telugodura456 said:

I have a relative in academia she complains of rampant racism against indians. Not sure how much to beleive.

I don't think there is racism against Indians or Asians for that matter. In fact even with women, there isn't any I observed. The problem is moving up the ladder. As PhD students, there are the same numbers of male and female, and minorities. As time passes on, minorites don't graduate at the same rate as white males. In the postdoc level, there are more women than men in general, because women are stuck in the position before they get a tenure track position. Women take breaks to have babies, which is why you don't see as many women with tenure as there are men in academia. Later on, as professors white men usually become chairs and Deans, although more and more Indian men are taking those positions, it's unlikely you see women in those positions. 

2 minutes ago, DummyVariable said:

You want the Nobel prize though. Very different things yeah

Naah, winning the Nobel prize after a certain point has more to do with being fortunate than being hardworking or smart. There are a lot of really intelligent people out there, and not all make it. Being the Dean is definitely easier but needs more interpersonal skills. 

2 hours ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

It all comes down to wealth and connections

People with enormous amount of wealth can get into any top B school with ease , Example nara Lokesh got into Stanford with just 60% in 10th/ inter

Banias control majority of formal industry in india.  top indian managements , ownership are almost exclusively banias except roles that require technical qualifications 

So they get into big B schools and have access to networking.

yes agreed similar example Mohak Mangal youtuber, he was fortunate to do higher studies in singapore, worked for bunch of projects with world bank, now working towards his MBA at stanford. he says he was privileged kid and his parents were rich to be able to afford the fee at premium institutions. 

mana telugu parents antha encourage cheyaru kada. my frnd did masters here in US, got married, have a kid, went back to India worked for a Year, now working towards his MBA at IIM fulltime, ala parents financial stress and goals pettakunda  chuste inkem kavali. ilantivi cheyadam easy ee kada. 

1 hour ago, Ryzen_renoir said:

Jack Dorsey had enough of twitter nonsense , he is also the founder and CEO of square inc which is valued double that of twitter 

Fintech lo baga paisal vunnai ani atu vaipu focus shift chesadu antava