What causes a civilization to flourish?

VizagRocks

26 minutes ago, VizagRocks said:

Unless your point is that, people who lose the reservation quota are the extremely bright ones, your point makes no sense.

India now has much better opportunities for bright kids, and reservation is not a big issue for them. It is an issue only for those mediocre kids who think getting into IIT will be the greatest achievement in their life.

I thought you were discussing about USA.

IITs has a very special purpose. they are made to create one of the best environment for research and learning. environment is not just limited to the labs and infrastructure, rather it includes the people around. that is the reason JEE is crafted to filter out the people and select the best motivated mind of the nation. you can always allow any one to such place once they are qualified. if you are defeating the purpose by introducing such reservations with lowered bar of merit, I don't see any point in their existence nor I don't see their use to achieve any research advancements. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• VizagRocks

• TheBrahmabull

• pravinyudu

• tokkale

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, icecreamZ said:

I though you were discussing about USA.

IITs has a very special purpose. they are made to create one of the best environment for research and learning. environment is not just limited to the labs and infrastructure, rather it includes the people around. that is the reason JEE is crafted to filter out the people and select the best motivated mind of the nation. you can always allow any one to such place once they are qualified. if you are defeating the purpose by introducing such reservations with lowered bar of merit, I don't see any point in their existence nor I don't see their use to achieve any research advancements. 

what the fcuk man. It is true that many bright Indians are from IIT. To assume all IITians are bright is stupid. Even among those who only got through what you call 'merit'.

anyway, in a country that hasn't achieved 100% enrolment in primary schools, who cares if IIT's research capability is a bit diluted?

It is already diluted, as a place where upper caste sit around and talk about how great Sanskrit is. Sacrificing a few upper caste seats to bring in other people inside, is a good move.

1 minute ago, VizagRocks said:

what the fcuk man. It is true that many bright Indians are from IIT. To assume all IITians are bright is stupid. Even among those who only got through what you call 'merit'.

anyway, in a country that hasn't achieved 100% enrolment in primary schools, who cares if IIT's research capability is a bit diluted?

It is already diluted, as a place where upper caste sit around and talk about how great Sanskrit is. Sacrificing a few upper caste seats to bring in other people inside, is a good move.

for sake of sanity, can you please go back and understand the concept of reservations. I have already explained about how the reservations would work.

no one are losing any seats because of extra seats that are introduced to allot under the scheme of reservations and everyone are aware of that.

the issue is with the sharing the curriculum with under-performing, un-motivated, fit for nothing people who took the shortcut of reservations.

just think about a presidential office fighting to control an epidemic like ebola or zika virus, completely filled with highly motivated individuals and filled with required skills to the brim. if you try to introduce any new individual who is short of any such quality would destabilize the office's mission.   

1 minute ago, icecreamZ said:

for sake of sanity, can you please go back and understand the concept of reservations. I have already explained about how the reservations would work.

no one are losing any seats because of extra seats that are introduced to allot under the scheme of reservations and everyone are aware of that.

the issue is with the sharing the curriculum with under-performing, un-motivated, fit for nothing people who took the shortcut of reservations.

just think about a presidential office fighting to control an epidemic like ebola or zika virus, completely filled with highly motivated individuals and filled with required skills to the brim. if you try to introduce any new individual who is short of any such quality would destabilize the office's mission.   

have you actually been around IIT guys? Do you think they are all bright, motivated, and high performing? It is no better than any university in India you can think of, except it has a slightly higher ratio of smart guys on the campus.

IIT is no different from Harvard, Colombia, Yale, etc.. MIT, Stanford are the exceptions because they function like business incubators, more than universities. IIT too has tried it, with no great results.

Every IIT has a business incubator these days, but I don't see anything more than a Flipkart, Housing, India Bulls from that great incubator of smart kids.

Like you already said, smart kids don't need to go to IIT to shine in this age of open knowledge. Even Indian kids. Kids go to college to live in a relaxed environment, explore several ideas, figure out what to focus on, learn from peers, and sometimes lecturers, make lasting connections, etc.

IITM library may be closed to outsiders, but a nearby maths research institute IMSc, and one slightly away from the city CMI, has opened its library to even outsiders.

If they only want to learn technology, they can simply intern in a research institute, and they'll learn more in an year than an entire course in a university.

Your contention that IIT is a special place is rather silly, because it has contributed nothing  of significance to India. So why care who gets to study there?

20 minutes ago, icecreamZ said:

you assume that someone who hasn't scored enough at JEE is not motivated to do well, ever. People change, they grow. and it is a risk worth taking.

people who work in medical research institutes are people from your regular colleges, not Harvard, Yale, etc. Those types get into finance these days.

Too bad if you think research is a highly paid profession, attracting only the brightest. It is not.

arey anayana...netho sane ga debate cheyalani entha try chesina....ne illogical arguments tho nuvu bullshit ki care of address ani prove chesthavu ga....

nuvvu ekkada untunavo...ninnu nee pakkana vaallu ela baristhunnaro..... vaariki na pragaada saanu boothi icecreamZ

Just now, icecreamZ said:

arey anayana...netho sane ga debate cheyalani entha try chesina....ne illogical arguments tho nuvu bullshit ki care of address ani prove chesthavu ga....

nuvvu ekkada untunavo...ninnu nee pakkana vaallu ela baristhunnaro..... vaariki na pragaada saanu boothi

nee gurinchi nuvvu ekkuva oohinchukoku bidda. pichhi p laaga presidential emergency, ebola virus ni virugudu ani chetthha chepthunnav, reservations gurinchi maatlada mante.

I doubt nee jeevitham lo nuvvu medical research center ki poynaavu ani.

merit gurinchi edho cheppala ani cheppaku. emi teliyaka pothe, g moosko.

5 minutes ago, VizagRocks said:

I didn't watch that video.

Greatest does not mean perfect. There's no such thing as perfect.

I am not talking about being the perfect. Look at its size and look at the UN stats where it stands. They are number of countries that are greateer than the US given thier size.

Its sheer size without the baggage of illogical and irrational religious cultures (being a recent civilization) provides the best place for scientific and technological research. You know its the era of science and technology.

2 minutes ago, ParmQ said:

I am not talking about being the perfect. Look at its size and look at the UN stats where it stands. They are number of countries that are greateer than the US given thier size.

Its sheer size without the baggage of illogical and irrational religious cultures (being a recent civilization) provides the best place for scientific and technological research. You know its the era of science and technology.

+1

2 minutes ago, ParmQ said:

Its sheer size without the piggy back of illogical and irrational religious cultures provides the best place for scientific and technological research. You know its the era of science and technology.

yeah. US is great in some areas, and not great in others. But still powerful enough to shape the world.

43 minutes ago, VizagRocks said:

yeah. US is great in some areas, and not great in others. But still powerful enough to shape the world.

intha sepu edo matladinav kada ? i am talking about that others.. Endi shape the world ? ante remaining world waiting anukuntunnava endi US eppudu shape chestada ani ?

Nuvvu endi vaa.. usa ki ambassador lekka oo thega cheptunnav.. just FYi : usa does have worst political conspiracies, scams ..etc..

okasari emo early 20th century lo usa vallu france ki ponike line kattirru annav... Early 20th century and mid of the century hit with 2 world wars.. ediki poyedi ??

Asalu nee logic endi cheppu vaa.... Do you want to conclude USA greatest ana ? which is not true.  Leka USA is having best civilization ana ? asalu aa statement ee wrong..

So whats your point ?

enni years nundi USA lo vuntunnav ? sagam telisi sagam telva kunda matladuthav.. jara inkonni rojulu aagu. ne time bad aithey USA ki amma mogudu thuglak bammardi porapatuna POTUS aithey telustadi appudu kooda usa g8 antavo ledo chuddam