50% Reservation for Women in h1b visas

LastManStanding

Opinion: Women deserve equality in H-1B lottery

•  
  •  
  • Categories:
GettyImages-922107684.jpg?w=978
Gender inequality is rampant in the technology industry in part because of the great majority of H-1B visas are granted to men.

Monday opens the 2019 H-1B visa lottery. Thousands of companies will file hundreds of thousands of petitions on behalf of their employees and recruits who need government approval to work in the United States. Once the lottery is over and officials review the applications, no more than 85,000 visas will be issued. The vast majority will go to men.

Recent trends in hiring by tech companies have made the H-1B a de facto man’s visa, but it doesn’t have to be. The U.S. government should promote the hiring of women in tech by granting H-1B visas equally to men and women.

The H-1B visa is an important program that brings highly-educated people with skills our economy needs into our country. H-1B visas are issued to individuals who are being hired for a job that requires the equivalent of a bachelor’s degree and specialized knowledge. These visas are issued only once a year through a lottery because annual demand is typically greater than the statutory supply.

The U.S. government does not release its data about the gender makeup of H-1B workers. In 2017, women only made up 31 percent of all temporary workers and their families entering the United States. The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services has rejected a Senate request and public records requests from trade industry groups and media organizations for this information. But of the countless H-1B petitions I have prepared for some of the largest tech companies, exceedingly few were for women.

This should come as no shock. H-1B recipients are mostly men because employers primarily petition for male applicants. The H-1B program is most used by businesses to hire employees working in science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields and is a reflection of the overwhelming gender imbalance in tech. Two-thirds of H-1B visa requests in 2011 were for occupations in STEM, according to an analysis of Labor Department data by Pew. In the United States, women hold less than 30 percent of science and engineering jobs.

Many tech companies have been working hard to fix their gender imbalances and the cultural issues that make tech inhospitable to women. Meanwhile, the companies also argue that there aren’t enough qualified women in the United States. But with visa programs like H-1B available, the women of the world are at their disposal. The U.S. government can encourage the hiring of women by giving them preference in the lottery.

The current lottery system is well suited for imposing a gender preference. Besides for the priority given to foreigners with master’s degrees, qualified applicants are not ranked by their skills or abilities. They are selected at random. Setting aside half of the visas for women would make no difference to the government’s goals of an economically beneficial visa program.

1 minute ago, JollyBoy said:

respect comes with reservation antunna @Fish

Respect comes with a change in attitude. No woman wants to be given something because she is a woman, but because she truly deserves it. What woman need is to be treated with respect, with equality. 

• Upvote 1

Women don’t make enough money for the services companies so why should they file more h1bs? Men can complete complex technical tasks much faster and more efficiently. They can be billed at a much higher rate. They are flexible with their work hours and schedules. They don’t need maternity leave. Most men are better educated. Men in general are smarter. They literally have a larger brain. H1B is a grey matter visa and men have more of it. It is not a surprise that companies favor men over women when filing H1Bs. So jog on yeah.

2 minutes ago, Staysafebro said:

Women don’t make enough money for the services companies so why should they file more h1bs? Men can complete complex technical tasks much faster and more efficiently. They can be billed at a much higher rate. They are flexible with their work hours and schedules. They don’t need maternity leave. Most men are better educated. They literally have a larger brain. H1B is a grey matter visa and men have more of it. It is not a surprise that companies favor men over women when filing H1Bs. 

This sounds horrible, chauvinistic, judgemental and complete trash. 

Just now, Staysafebro said:

Truth is always like that.

This is what I am talking about. Women don't need reservation, they need respect. They need to be treated equally, for what they truly are. Don't judge a person, simply because she is a woman, doesn't make her any less of a person, or competitor. 

7 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

This is what I am talking about. Women don't need reservation, they need respect. They need to be treated equally, for what they truly are. Don't judge a person, simply because she is a woman, doesn't make her any less of a person, or competitor. 

It is not about respect here though. It is about how useful certain things are. I wouldn’t use a paddle if I could use a motor on my boat. 

It is not about respect here though. It is about how useful certain things are. I wouldn’t use a paddle if I could use a motor for my boat. 

How can you be so sure that the motor here is a man and a paddle is a woman? You're judging that a woman is less capable simply because she is a woman. 

2 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

How can you be so sure that the motor here is a man and a paddle is a woman? You're judging that a woman is less capable simply because she is a woman. 

They are less capable and it is true. What is disrespectful about it?

They are less capable and it is true. What is disrespectful about it?

Why do you say so? It makes no sense to me. What makes you think that? You can't just be judging all women like that.

7 minutes ago, DrBeta said:

Why do you say so? It makes no sense to me. What makes you think that? You can't just be judging all women like that.

If I say that a father can’t take up the duties of a mother, am I judging men? 

I am off to bed now. Bye, GN.

If I say that a father can’t take up the duties of a mother, am I judging men? 

If you are saying that a woman's place is in the kitchen, then yes. You are judging the responsibility of a man and a woman. Guess what? There are some women that are way more capable than men and even the other way around. But no one is allowed to say that someone is less capable simply because of her gender.