When did you realize that caste groups existed?

Iriswest

15 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

You choose to live in a bubble, not only do you live in a bubble but choose to define what racism means to you within that bubble. 

I have faced incidents where a middle aged man came to me at a late night pizza joint and made openly racist statements making a te***st "joke"(in his words) clearly instigating me, and took off when I retorted for the same. Neither do you know about the one time when a drunk guy outside a bar flipped the bird asking me to go back where I came from. 

However, the incident I gave an example of was one which is far more dangerous since it's clearly targeted in a very carefully formatted way. I think it's pointless for anyone to define how racism plays it's hand even at work in a subtle manner since your definition of what constitutes it is limited to overt public displays of it. Keeping that in mind, I think you are incapable of understanding how racism plays a role in the bigger picture since you aren't capable of acknowledging it and would like to tag it as a "subjective experience". You should keep your expertise to posting vlogs in that case. 

Well said. All cases of racism can be explained in that case as subjective, thinking too much, culture e.t.c. No instance of anything can be called e racism according to pilli’s definition. If we talk about subtle racism she says we have no exposure to their culture/ never mingled with them hence we are thinking we are victims of racism but not really victims since we did not understand the instigators properly. Heights of victim blaming 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

You choose to live in a bubble, not only do you live in a bubble but choose to define what racism means to you within that bubble. 

I have faced incidents where a middle aged man came to me at a late night pizza joint and made openly racist statements making a te***st "joke"(in his words) clearly instigating me, and took off when I retorted for the same. Neither do you know about the one time when a drunk guy outside a bar flipped the bird asking me to go back where I came from. 

However, the incident I gave an example of was one which is far more dangerous since it's clearly targeted in a very carefully formatted way. I think it's pointless for anyone to define how racism plays it's hand even at work in a subtle manner since your definition of what constitutes it is limited to overt public displays of it. Keeping that in mind, I think you are incapable of understanding how racism plays a role in the bigger picture since you aren't capable of acknowledging it and would like to tag it as a "subjective experience". You should keep your expertise to posting vlogs in that case. 

Alright, if you were a upper caste guy working in a office in India, and a lower caste guy doesn't get promoted, would you say that the promotion is subjective, or would you say that they were blatantly being casteist? 

2 minutes ago, betapilli said:

Alright, if you were a upper caste guy working in a office in India, and a lower caste guy doesn't get promoted, would you say that the promotion is subjective, or would you say that there was blatantly being casteist? 

If amount of work done by both is same, then it was a casteist decision.

2 minutes ago, betapilli said:

Alright, if you were a upper caste guy working in a office in India, and a lower caste guy doesn't get promoted, would you say that the promotion is subjective, or would you say that there was blatantly being casteist? 

Not everything is a multiple choice question in the real world. It's not like a program where you can write a loop saying 

if {

A implies B

then

A is a racist 

else

A is not a racist}

A question of the type you asked has a lot more factors that come into play than the above example, again it's pointless to discuss that here since you could choose to dismiss as a "subjective experience" and use the same logic to indulge in victim blaming again. 

Since you don't seem to be able to understand that not everything in life is a choice between choosing either A or B, I don't think the sort of question you asked even warrants a balanced explanation. 

2 minutes ago, zarathustra said:

Not everything is a multiple choice question in the real world. It's not like a program where you can write a loop saying 

if {

A implies B

then

A is a racist 

else

A is not a racist}

A question of the type you asked has a lot more factors that come into play than the above example, again it's pointless to discuss that here since you could choose to dismiss as a "subjective experience" and use the same logic to indulge in victim blaming again. 

Since you don't seem to be able to understand that not everything in life is a choice between choosing either A or B, I don't think the sort of question you asked even warrants a balanced explanation. 

Since you cannot answer it as yes or no, that's why I said it's subjective. Whether someone gets a promotion or not depends on a lot of factors. In fact, with affirmative action in place, it's easier for a minority to raise up the ladder than a random white male. I agree there is not as much representation from minorities in higher management, that's why we have affirmative action in place, like we have reservations in India. But it doesn't mean that just because a minority person doesn't get promoted, he is subject to racial discrimination. I mean, if it's really a legitimate case, you should be able to file a class action lawsuit. 

3 minutes ago, betapilli said:

Since you cannot answer it as yes or no, that's why I said it's subjective. Whether someone gets a promotion or not depends on a lot of factors. In fact, with affirmative action in place, it's easier for a minority to raise up the ladder than a random white male. I agree there is not as much representation from minorities in higher management, that's why we have affirmative action in place, like we have reservations in India. But it doesn't mean that just because a minority person doesn't get promoted, he is subject to racial discrimination. I mean, if it's really a legitimate case, you should be able to file a class action lawsuit. 

I can answer yes or no if that's the only factor that is preventing the person from the lower caste in getting the promotion, but then again it's hardly just one factor that comes into play here. In my case, it's an experience I was part of as with plenty of others and upon going into the minute details it's apparent that the only factor coming into play is the question of race. Affirmative action doesn't always work the way you intend it to, there are cases where a minority person that's lesser deserving gets promoted compared to another who doesn't belong to that group. In such a case, affirmative action isn't really helping the cause. In the case I have given an example of, that's not the case. 

Also you are diverting the topic here talking about promotion, I clearly gave an example where the manager sends only an email to the person involved when he's giving them a pat on the back in the case of the person being an Indian while highlighting them to the management in the case where he was White. There's nothing that explains apart from clear cut discrimination, keeping in mind a view to "promote" that person in the long term as a valuable employee. But since your work experience seems limited to working in laboratories, I guess I can't expect you to understand how these things come into play in the larger workplace. 

It's laughable when you cite an example of filing a class action lawsuit, how do you prove that the manager is intent on promoting a white employee by CCing the higher management when he sends complements to a white employee while sending it only to the person concerned when it's an Indian person? I don't think you understand how class action lawsuits work. Also, it's unrealistic to expect people who are at the mercy of the same manager to get their GCs filed and processed to go file a class action lawsuit against him. 

Again, your answer clearly shows how clueless you are. Don't try to pass off your "subjective experience" bull crap to indulge in victim blaming. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, keviinusa said:

strategic ga twt pettukunnava classes

aa rojullo maaku either MWF or TT scheduling vundedii

physics lab undey syllabus avvakottesanu brahmismoking.gif

22 minutes ago, Rushabhi said:

Well said. All cases of racism can be explained in that case as subjective, thinking too much, culture e.t.c. No instance of anything can be called e racism according to pilli’s definition. If we talk about subtle racism she says we have no exposure to their culture/ never mingled with them hence we are thinking we are victims of racism but not really victims since we did not understand the instigators properly. Heights of victim blaming 

She's clearly clueless how real world works. I cited an example of something I had clearly gone through, rather than dig into the details and ascertain if there's more to it she clearly threw the "subjective experience" card. Then gives a multiple choice question and then tries to shift her goal posts saying she did so because she wanted to disprove what I had said. 

Again, what I said comes from real life experience not some hypothetical scenario I conjured up in my head. And she seems to be incapable of understanding it. 

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, betapilli said:

I live in a well, a well that calls out people covertly calling out on racism but denying the existence of casteism. Most people live in a bubble, as I pointed out, the more you interact with people of other races, the less you tend you characterize white racism, the same way the people in this thread all so well deny caste discrimination but acknowledge racial discrimination. That's because most people live in a well with other desi people from other castes, but don't live with people from other races. If they do, they would stop characterizing a race or group as being racist or casteist. 

Agree.

With clusters in USA, where all desis buying homes in desi neighborhood even kids are not exposed to different cultures...very bad...

Parents hang out with desis only, that too same region and sometimes castes..

There is not much difference between castism and racism... It's just semantics...

16 minutes ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

Agree.

With clusters in USA, where all desis buying homes in desi neighborhood even kids are not exposed to different cultures...very bad...

Parents hang out with desis only, that too same region and sometimes castes..

There is not much difference between castism and racism... It's just semantics...

If a TG person doesn't get promoted because the manager is from AP, it's because the TG person is less qualified or doesn't fit the role. If a ST person doesn't get promoted because the manager is a Brahmin, it's because the ST person doesn't have good communication skills. However, if an Indian person doesn't get promoted because the manager is white, it's because the manager is racist. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Iriswest said:

Caste never played a role in choosing my friends. I did not know how many castes are there until I passed 10th. Inter lo I found out what is domination and groupism in Vijayawada but I still had many good friends who weren’t in those groups. I had christian and hindu friends and lot of muslim neighbors. It wrecks my heart that I first felt alienated when I came to US. Desam kaani desam vacchi caste ani sacchipotarenduku? Asalu nenu vacchina India nunche vacchara veellu ane feeling vacchindi.

Ee caste groups nenu 6th class lone chusa ma school lo head master c so valla valaki ekkuva Mark's vesevaadu 

6 minutes ago, betapilli said:

If a TG person doesn't get promoted because the manager is from AP, it's because the TG person is less qualified or doesn't fit the role. If a ST person doesn't get promoted because the manager is a Brahmin, it's because the ST person doesn't have good communication skills. However, if an Indian person doesn't get promoted because the manager is white, it's because the manager is racist. 

Peace Calm GIF - Peace Calm Brahmi GIFs....it's the other way around bro...usual ga thellolu manollaki bagane istharu promotions but manolle valla valla caste vallaki preference istharu...

Motham follow kaley kani open ga go back to india annara anedi question ah @zarathustra ?

Yes i faced it.

1. Illinois lo oka woman told " You stupid Indian woman. go back to your country andi". Cops cops ante oh yeah i will call cops ani nenu 911 ki call chesa. He came and told that lady to leave and told her this is my country as much as hers. Nannu illegal illegal ani store motham vinipinche la 100 sarlu andi. Vachina office didnt even care to see my passport. Oh yeah a roju photo kosam vella naku ah roju passport office lo appt unde. 

2. I did face racism and casteism in my Masters.

3. Nenu work chesina oka place lo my manager was racist. Andarito baga matladedi nato tappa. I was only Indian in the team. 

10 minutes ago, sri_sri999 said:

Ee caste groups nenu 6th class lone chusa ma school lo head master c so valla valaki ekkuva Mark's vesevaadu 

I am so sorry for you.