When did you realize that caste groups existed?

Iriswest

2 hours ago, Amrita said:

I do not agree. My cousins who are born and raised here who went to ivy league also complained that they cannot climb management ladder after a point.  Vallani kuda tokkesaru antaru. There is systemic racism. 

My cousins daughter who is a teenager who is born here says valla school lo vallani Indians antaru ta . Thats racism ani nene daniki cheppa she replied saying pinni just because i am born here my color doesnt change and the way ppl see me doesnt change andi. I was shocked that she experience racism here in US at that age. This is in San Diego.

I think you are fortunate to get exposed to only positive side of the society here.

Nenu ippduu work chestunna team full whites i love working with them they are awesome ppl and are not racists. I think i only got lucky here.

Naku soda, mocha frappe random ga konichina americans kuda unnaru. But, racism undi. Manaki casteism undi ga deep rooted i just feel its ok when they think we are stealing their jobs. Color , race , ethnicity veti based differences easy kadu povadam. They will always exist.  

PS: I didnt read all pages thread chala fast ga 35 pages ki vachindi. Hope i am not talking nonsense without context.

I don't know, I was thinking that systemic racism constitutes institutional racism where in people of a certain race cannot move up the ladder, but I don't see that's the case given how a lot of upper management positions in tech are filled by Indians. Besides, if most Indian people in America had pleasant experiences working in the country, and with white Americans in particular, it would be unfair to say that they show systemic racism against us. 

17 minutes ago, betapilli said:

I don't know, I was thinking that systemic racism constitutes institutional racism where in people of a certain race cannot move up the ladder, but I don't see that's the case given how a lot of upper management positions in tech are filled by Indians. Besides, if most Indian people in America had pleasant experiences working in the country, and with white Americans in particular, it would be unfair to say that they show systemic racism against us. 

Just because there are Indians in upper tech positions that doesn’t confirm they haven’t faced racism . They could be exceptional . They might have waited for long time to reach there compared to someone white who had same skill set and competency .  Most Indians in America face racism at some point . I would be surprised to know otherwise .  Gender discrimination , racism , casteism Ivanni lekapote diversity , equal opportunity etc etc evanni hiring practices lo enduku vachayi antavu ? Let’s be real . These exist . We care less here in USA accepting it . India lo we make more noise as we have more support and power there. I was unaware of casteism before I came to USA  Adi ignorance and being naive or May be didn’t get exposed to society or experienced it . It didn’t exist is a very unfair statement . 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Amrita said:

Just because there are Indians in upper tech positions that doesn’t confirm they haven’t faced racism . They could be exceptional . They might have waited for long time to reach there compared to someone white who had same skill set and competency .  Most Indians in America face racism at some point . I would be surprised to know otherwise .  Gender discrimination , racism , casteism Ivanni lekapote diversity , equal opportunity etc etc evanni hiring practices lo enduku vachayi antavu ? Let’s be real . These exist . We care less here in USA accepting it . India lo we make more noise as we have more support and power there. I was unaware of casteism before I came to USA  Adi ignorance and being naive or May be didn’t get exposed to society or experienced it . It didn’t exist is a very unfair statement . 

Watch this and tell me if you think Indians face systemic racism?  

If anything, I would say that Indians have brown privilege, it's a thing, even more so than white privilege. 

4 minutes ago, betapilli said:

If anything, I would say that Indians have brown privilege, it's a thing, even more so than white privilege. 

I saw that video for you though i know what is systemic racism. Indians are more affluent and have better background than average white. Manchi manchi schools and univ in India lo chaduvukoni ikkada malla decent univ lo chaduvukunna Indians ni black people to compare chestunnava who are not previleged as we are?  If you realize, we had better privilege's duirng our childhood in India than even an average white here.  

Yes after watching this video i am again saying Indians face racism.  Enni videos chusina mana moham chudagane kanipinchedi mana color. Within Indians aey color obsession undi caste obsession undi racism enduku ledu anipistondi? Anyways you are entitled for your opinion. 

8 minutes ago, betapilli said:

About the video... I remember a news article where a guy named jose , tired after not getting any interview calls removed one letter from his name and uploaded same resume .. he was flooded with resumes and offers...

This is real and documented.... Yes, systemic racism exists... It will effect everyone at some point. 

4 minutes ago, Amrita said:

I saw that video for you though i know what is systemic racism. Indians are more affluent and have better background than average white. Manchi manchi schools and univ in India lo chaduvukoni ikkada malla decent univ lo chaduvukunna Indians ni black people to compare chestunnava who are not previleged as we are?  If you realize, we had better privilege's duirng our childhood in India than even an average white here.  

Yes after watching this video i am again saying Indians face racism.  Enni videos chusina mana moham chudagane kanipinchedi mana color. Within Indians aey color obsession undi caste obsession undi racism enduku ledu anipistondi? Anyways you are entitled for your opinion. 

@betapilli if you want to experience it, go to luxury car show room ( ferrari or maserati etc ) or to restaurant with $$$$ in Google listings.  You can dress up all you want ...

8 minutes ago, Amrita said:

Color obsession, caste obsession are form of racism... change my mind....

I know dictionary definition is different....

Just now, hunkyfunky2 said:

Color obsession, caste obsession are form of racism... change my mind....

I know dictionary definition is different....

I kinda agree with you. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Amrita said:

1 minute ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

About the video... I remember a news article where a guy named jose , tired after not getting any interview calls removed one letter from his name and uploaded same resume .. he was flooded with resumes and offers...

This is real and documented.... Yes, systemic racism exists... It will effect everyone at some point. 

I can see what you both are saying. But I think Indians in America usually are more privileged than an Average white American. Even in schools and colleges, we just do better than an Average white American, we are usually more affluent than an average white American. Systemic racism stems from lack of resources to up your standard of living. I can see it if Latinos or Black Americans are complaining about systemic racism, but I don't see how Indians can be entitled to complain given that they have a more positive stereotype, come from more affluent families, are more driven in life because of family values. With so much of brown privilege, it will be a pity if Indians don't perform as much or better than an average white American. I think we need to acknowledge brown privilege. 

4 minutes ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

@betapilli if you want to experience it, go to luxury car show room ( ferrari or maserati etc ) or to restaurant with $$$$ in Google listings.  You can dress up all you want ...

Like I said, even if I experience a racist comment, I would call a person as being racist. If I have to go somewhere to find out places where there are racist Americans, it would mean there isn't necessarily systemic racism against Indians. 

5 minutes ago, betapilli said:

I can see what you both are saying. But I think Indians in America usually are more privileged than an Average white American. Even in schools and colleges, we just do better than an Average white American, we are usually more affluent than an average white American. Systemic racism stems from lack of resources to up your standard of living. I can see it if Latinos or Black Americans are complaining about systemic racism, but I don't see how Indians can be entitled to complain given that they have a more positive stereotype, come from more affluent families, are more driven in life because of family values. With so much of brown privilege, it will be a pity if Indians don't perform as much or better than an average white American. I think we need to acknowledge brown privilege. 

2 minutes ago, betapilli said:

Like I said, even if I experience a racist comment, I would call a person as being racist. If I have to go somewhere to find out places where there are racist Americans, it would mean there isn't necessarily systemic racism against Indians. 

" Frog in well "

- I agree with brown privilege in limited context , but indians do experience racism...  Take any company, you only see whites above VP level... It's changing now slowly...

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, hunkyfunky2 said:

" Frog in well "

- I agree with brown privilege in limited context , but indians do experience racism...  Take any company, you only see whites above VP level... It's changing now slowly...

Ofcourse, there are 70% white American and 1% Indian American. For the proportion of population we are, we are doing extremely well given the number of upper management positions held by Indian Americans. Still think there is systemic racism against us? 

3 minutes ago, betapilli said:

Ofcourse, there are 70% white American and 1% Indian American. For the proportion of population we are, we are doing extremely well given the number of upper management positions held by Indian Americans. Still think there is systemic racism against us? 

Entire team is indian but only VP is white ...how come ? They don't have any more experience than indians ...

Like this there are many many instances...

7 minutes ago, betapilli said:

Yes. You have a blind eye towards reality.  Ento ma office lo american whites aey accept chestaru racism undi ani. Oh yeah they are extremely awesome ppl i ever saw in my entire stay in US.  Enduku enta ascharyam ga undi niku @betapilli ?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Amrita said:

Yes. You have a blind eye towards reality.  Ento ma office lo american whites aey accept chestaru racism undi ani. Oh yeah they are extremely awesome ppl i ever saw in my entire stay in US.  Enduku enta ascharyam ga undi niku @betapilli ?

It's usually the hypocrites that consider themselves above acknowledging this stuff that deny it's existence.  So don't be surprised by circuitous arguments of this sort. 

• Sad 1